THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Why nitpick?

Why the heck do people feel compelled to point out issues when someone posts about a car they just purchased? I don't see the point. My favorite is the air cleaner sticker. If it was your car that you just bought and didn't like it, just take it off. Don't see the big deal.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some people like to be in the drama. If someone asks for an opinion then its fair game. But i see no reason to be rude about it. It used to bother me but i scroll on by nowadays. Lots of great helpful people here nonetheless. I also think the message gets lost in the black and white of text.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree- no reason to be rude. I can see pointing things out when someone posts a link to a car for sale, you may be pointing out something someone else doesn’t see.

But to pick apart a car someone posts that they bought I don’t get.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had more than one person on this forum bring up the amount of money I am spending on MY car. I had someone make a comment about the cost of the trans for a street car and I had another comment about how was I doing. It on a disabled vet and my wife’s teacher income. My house payment is being made, my kids are getting fed and my utilities are staying on. It’s really nobody’s business what you do with your car or how much money you sink in it

Old 10-02-2019, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand why people post such things in a public forum FULL of opinionated people if they don't expect opinions...all kinds of opinions... because that's what you're gonna get, every time.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This board is loaded with rude a holes with deep pockets. They usually complain if a car isn't restored to 100 percent factory specs.

With that said, just ignore them and move on.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A red Buick air cleaner sticker on a driver isn't a big deal, but on a nut and bolt type restoration it is literally begging to get picked on. If you do your homework, mistakes like that are easily avoided. Personally, I believe that a helpful critique is vastly more useful than a well intentioned pat on the head (note that I said helpful). I also believe being down a couple of horsepower because you didn't optimize everything is kind of a nitpick. But that too also depends on the situation. The big dogs didn't get to where they are with "close enough".

IMO, it all comes down to your goals. When you aim high, the bar gets raised. I enjoy Squidward's 350P posts, and TomS always delivers. Different strokes.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only things that should matter are how fast you go, how many thumbs up you get, and if womenz like yer car

Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
The only things that should matter are how fast you go, how many thumbs up you get, and if womenz like yer car
Is this a "pick two" type scenario?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or more like "@ss, gas, or grass", thing?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's in some peoples nature to nitpick and put down other peoples stuff.

Unless someone is asking about a car they're thinking about buying, I wont pick apart someone's car. It's just not cool. A lot of people dont have the cash for a 1000 point resto, or dont care to have a car that is built like that.

I've had people pull that crap when looking at my 71. I tell them flat out the car was literally a day away from being sent to the crusher, and if I didn't end up with it, it would've been soup cans by now. It's comprised of parts spanning the entire 2nd generation, and built in the garage with my Father. I usually rack up 5k miles on it a summer, and enjoy every second of it.

Usually those who nitpick are miserable bastards. While they're complaining, I'm ripping donuts, doing burnouts, going to the track, and cruising to the beach in my mutt of a T/A!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^ Same here! ^^^

Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to have a thick skin to be on a public forum, and to be able to not take stuff so seriously. I agree that respect for others and manners go a long way. I also agree that when an opinion is asked for, it should be able to be delivered non-censored. I like fixing cars and keeping them running. I get bugged by the Buick stickers on air cleaners that have been around so long that people under 40 think they're original. I get really bugged by all the '65 GTO's I see with the seat upholstery pointing the wrong direction. But I get over it quick. I don't understand why some people spend tens of thousands of dollars building cars that are never completed due to constant change of direction. But, that's not my problem. As long as they are doing what they want to do, how can I judge? I'm just a long time day two owner of a couple of old non-restored GTO's I've been daily driving for the past 40 years or so. You guys should see the Corvette forum.....it's downright brutal over there. This place is like having an afternoon British tea!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I've received my share of rude comments & put-downs on here, as well as other Pontiac forums. Even got kicked off(actually they strongly suggested that I leave), another Pontiac forum, for recommending the 041/Rhoads lifter combo, when their Pontiac engine building guru, as well as most of his faithful disciples considered the CC XE series cams best, and far better the old outdated 20th century technology.

Other than those guys, I actually liked that forum. So, later, I went back on it, using a different name, & tried to be nice. But, one of the guys, figured out who I was and made a big deal out of it. So, I haven't posted there in years.

As some others have mentioned, it's very obvious that quite a few guys here are rude know-it-all types, who seem to always put down anything except all out max builds that don't "leave anything on the table".

I, & many others here, don't have the funds for "all-out", "max-effort", high-dollar builds. But that don't mean we don't love Pontiacs. Most of us are doing the best we can, with what we have. For example: I'm still workin on a super low budget bracket Bird. If I'd had enuff funds, I'd have bought a ready-to-race Pontiac powered bracket car, a new enclosed trailer, & a new diesel dually to pull 'em to the races. Could have been racing on a regular basis for many years now. But, all that did not happen.

I suppose it's just human nature for the haves to look down on the have-nots. But, for some, they take it a step farther & express their opinions on forums. It comes across to me that the opinion of many here is that if you don't have enuff money to build it like we say it should be built, then you shouldn't build it at all, probably shouldn't even own a Pontiac.

Then, there are a few here who really try help, rather than just criticize. To all who have helped me & given me encouraging words since I've been here, THANKS !

Old 10-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, i've done blatant hobo stuff on an otherwise properly built car and....the hecklers reveal themselves.

Everybody knows that a fella wants to get the car on the road, and THEN will make the fine tweaks and parts changes.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I don't understand why people post such things in a public forum FULL of opinionated people if they don't expect opinions...all kinds of opinions... because that's what you're gonna get, every time.
^^THIS^^
If ya don't want an opinion, don't post the picture. Everyone has a different opinion, and they all won't agree with yours.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Buncha friggin' narcissists.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not on this forum, but in person I’ve found that the people that criticize my cars at car shows often don’t have a fun car or the knowledge to put one together

Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Not on this forum, but in person I’ve found that the people that criticize my cars at car shows often don’t have a fun car or the knowledge to put one together
This is my experience about 90% of the time. When you ask them to see their cars, they just kick rocks and walk away.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueponcho View Post
This is my experience about 90% of the time. When you ask them to see their cars, they just kick rocks and walk away.
10/4, they give you the old "I don't have a car shoe-gaze" and walk away.