THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pershing, that is useful to know about a barrier.

Doesn't look like Diamondback has any thinner white stripe tires as would be correct for a '64 GTO though. Is your set wide whites? They have some narrower white walls but not 14" from what I saw.

They are too pricey for my tastes anyway but if Uniroyal would use that trick on the whitewalls I bought without jacking the price too much, it would be a good deal.

Same with anybody making RWL tires. If it is possible to use such a barrier on that type tire, seems dumb not to. They really look like hell when brown.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Has anyone considered talking to the folks at Vogue Tyres?

https://www.voguetyre.com/
I was surprised to see a white pinstripe (correct for and a great look on some 69 Firebirds), which is available only in one size, 225/60R16. The difficulty would be finding a suitable 16" wheel for the 69 Firebird.

They also offer a redline, in 235/55R17. Might be easier to find a suitable rim for both F and A bodies. Isn't there a Rally II in 17" now, or a modern alloy rim styled like the Rally II? I saw something in Summit TX & GA locations recently but I don't know if they had a 16" or 17" version.
My first call was to Vogue. I described the problem to them. I was looking for 14" WSW tires and they said that they did not make a size that small. However, they said that if anything would remove the browning of the tires, that their tire cleaner would. So I bought a bottle, hoping for the best. Unfortunately, no improvement. Like I said, I ended up with Diamond Backs and so far, they still are bright white. By the way, DB said to only use car wash soap and water to clean their white walls.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Pershing, that is useful to know about a barrier.

Doesn't look like Diamondback has any thinner white stripe tires as would be correct for a '64 GTO though. Is your set wide whites? They have some narrower white walls but not 14" from what I saw.

They are too pricey for my tastes anyway but if Uniroyal would use that trick on the whitewalls I bought without jacking the price too much, it would be a good deal.

Same with anybody making RWL tires. If it is possible to use such a barrier on that type tire, seems dumb not to. They really look like hell when brown.
You should give them a call. I called them up and gave them the dimensions of the WSW that I needed which was 5/8", and the distance from the rim. I got those dimensions from an original 1966 spare tire I got with the car. They made them perfectly. Yes, they are pricey but I buy tires for the couple of summer cars every 7-9 years. So it's not like the daily driver car.
My original problem was with the Uniroyal Tiger Paw II tires. The Uniroyal Customer help line was of no help. (too bad because the tires really improved the ride and handling of my car; so in black walls, I can recommend the tire) They said to clean the tires again; no luck, and they said it must have been my fault for allowing the white wall to touch the black wall of another tire. No, that never happened to all five tires, and the browning was uniform on all tires. If you look on the net at other sites, like the Corvette site for instance, you will see the complaints. So Uniroyal must know about the browning. How can they not?

Old 08-06-2020, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Everyone who has not experienced this says 'clean them with _____'. It don't work. It's not ON the tires, it's IN the tires.
These recent posts verify what I was trying to say wayyyy back then. It's IN the tires. You can't wash it off. Not for long anway.

@David... I'm glad you're getting good service out of your Coopers. I must have gotten into a bad batch. I wound up putting mine on my truck and I couldn't wait to get enough wear on them to get at least some value out of them. Even after going through 7 to get 4 'good' ones, they still vibrated to the point that I couldn't stand to drive over 70mph. The worst tires I've ever had.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
These recent posts verify what I was trying to say wayyyy back then. It's IN the tires. You can't wash it off. Not for long anway.

@David... I'm glad you're getting good service out of your Coopers. I must have gotten into a bad batch. I wound up putting mine on my truck and I couldn't wait to get enough wear on them to get at least some value out of them. Even after going through 7 to get 4 'good' ones, they still vibrated to the point that I couldn't stand to drive over 70mph. The worst tires I've ever had.
A very good friend of mine who was with Continental tire for 20+ years told me that when he saw my BFG's. It's something in the compound leaching through. Clean it off if you can but it will likely come back.
I reversed mine and guess what - the outer edges still get brown over time. A little tire dressing makes it go away long enough for me to deal with it.
The car is Mayfair Maize and I've come to like the look of blackwalls with just a little sheen on Rally II's sans trim rings.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC7D286-65D1-4E1D-81C0-EF1B46AEDCD8.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	546573Speaking of tire shine...I’ll let you all in on the best stuff I have found.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's a good level of shine. I hate the wet look on tires. I have been using 'No Touch' tire cleaner which gives off about the same level of gloss.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tried the foam stuff.....not a fan. Makes a mess and and takes for evah to dissipate. ...not to mention you use a lot of product. But...that’s just me.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefromen View Post
Reviving this thread...........

Anyone have updates on their brown letter tires?

Those who got replacements, did the letters stay white?

Those who tried various solvents to clean the letters did they stay white?
Glad you asked, Hope my answer might help. Since I started this post and asked if anyone else was having a problem ,I asked BFG for help and explained the issue. They had me take the tires back to where I bought them and have them confirm the problem , They then replaced the tires for me but did not pay for any of the change over cost, Also they replaced at 75% of the cost even thought the tires had no mileage on them to speak of. I paid 25%, So I had the new tires mounted on a different set of rims. When I asked if they knew what the problem was they said just that they know that there is a problem and think I will be ok with the new ones but cannot guarantee anything.
The old tires looked like they where in a fire, and nothing would clean them. ( NOTHING) the new ones are looking pretty good so far , Odd that the 245-60-15 s, turned worse on the first batch than did the 275-60-15s, I did have some small spots staining again on the new 245s , I was reluctant to go through the expense and efforts but I think it turned out ok so far, seems that something has changed at least enough to live with.
Lastly and maybe most important is that since I had nothing to lose trying anymore I came up with the crazy idea of sanding the letters on the old tires. I took a small orbital sander with fine paper and the brown actually sanded off. My thoughts are "how can the brown come off the surface? Why would you not expect it to be browned underneath ? The old sanded tires are stored and I am watching them turn coffee brown again but at a much slower rate. maybe if I continue to sand them I will some day have white letters again on them, Crazy , Pain in the butt fiasco , If you have a set that are driving you crazy you can try to sand a letter carefully and see if it works for you.
Sorry the long post. I guess the short answer is , BFG stepped up to the plate and helped for me,,, The new runs of tires seem to be much improved,,, May still be isolated staining on certain sizes or runs but for me so far much better,. And finally it seems Nothing is what it used to be.

Last edited by 1beautifuldaughter; 08-07-2020 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1beautifuldaughter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the UV rays have beat down the BF Goodrich.....kinda like the headlights on a lot of cars....

Old 08-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

"Lastly and maybe most important is that since I had nothing to lose trying anymore I came up with the crazy idea of sanding the letters on the old tires. I took a small orbital sander with fine paper and the brown actually sanded off"

I wet sand mine by hand with 2000 grit, Takes about 20 minutes to do all 4. Lasts about a month or two whether I drive it or not. They turn brown sitting in the garage!
No more BFG's for me!!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
"Lastly and maybe most important is that since I had nothing to lose trying anymore I came up with the crazy idea of sanding the letters on the old tires. I took a small orbital sander with fine paper and the brown actually sanded off"

I wet sand mine by hand with 2000 grit, Takes about 20 minutes to do all 4. Lasts about a month or two whether I drive it or not. They turn brown sitting in the garage!
No more BFG's for me!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^ ....now that’s determination...right there !

Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Tried the foam stuff.....not a fan. Makes a mess and and takes for evah to dissipate. ...not to mention you use a lot of product. But...that’s just me.
Haven't had those issues at all. One can will last me all summer or more and I always lay a heavy mist coat on each tire and wipe, not spray half a can like the manufacturer probably wants you to do.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well hell. It appears my 4 month old Firehawks are turning Brown .

And my 14 year old Firehawks are still White.

Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	546627  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These new TA tires must be made in China

Old 10-24-2021, 06:32 PM

I know this is from a year ago, but very curious if the T/A Radial brown letter is finally resolved?
My current front ones are brown, the older rears are still bright white... I would prefer T/As, but not if the brown will leach out....

thanks

Now is 428, 400HO #16 heads, Richmond 5spd, 3:08 12 bolt
Old 10-24-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthgoat View Post
I know this is from a year ago, but very curious if the T/A Radial brown letter is finally resolved?
My current front ones are brown, the older rears are still bright white... I would prefer T/As, but not if the brown will leach out....

thanks
I have not heard that the problem is resolved or not. My Diamond Backs are still perfectly white with no hint of browning.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:32 PM

I purchased 2 new 225-70-15s for the front last year and they are good, no browning. I clean the rears that are the older ones with purple power cleaner from time to time .

Old 10-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a new set put on the car about 6 months ago and they are still like new. I haven't done anything to clean them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I have a new set put on the car about 6 months ago and they are still like new. I haven't done anything to clean them.
I bought mine 3 months ago. Same deal as above. I used sos pad on it like I used to do years ago and they are as bright white now as they were three months ago when I first cleaned them. Make the other BFG's I have look bad.