THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'll say real men ride sport bikes, talk about full body participation. 180 mph, 3.5 lbs per HP, 9 second quarters off the showroom floor, six speed boxes, mind numbing acceleration and braking. And age isn't a thing, I've seen 75 year old guys that are very proficient on one.
This is taken from a sport bike, but not of a sport bike. Dude is bad@&&.

https://youtu.be/BFzhc3i0PRY

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
I guess you guys have a one-sided lock on what is "fun" for EVERYBODY, and if you dissent, you aren't a car enthusiast. And that spending tens of thousands of dollars more for a manual transmission car is a smart decision. That shows me that those of you who feel that way are driven by the market just the same as Mecum.
That's a lot of assumptions. No one is saying that everyone should have one or the other. Personally, I prefer a manual transmission, but if others would rather have an automatic that's fine too - it's their preference, and it doesn't matter to me. I'm not sure what kind of car would cost tens of thousands of dollars more if it was equipped with a manual. And, it has nothing to do with being driven by the market, whatever that means.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post

He's got some nads that's for sure
Only probably doing that on a cruiser is if you have to stop fast.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

I'm not sure what kind of car would cost tens of thousands of dollars more if it was equipped with a manual.
73-74 Super Duty ..... Part of that is probably due to four speed production was considerably less.

1973 180 ish auto 72 ish 4 speed

1974 730 ish auto 212 ish 4 speed

Old 10-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post

Dude is an idiot and almost lost it at the 0:49 mark. Even dumber pulling that stunt in a T-shirt instead of full leathers. Crap like this pisses me off, not only is he putting himself in danger but also motorist. Hope he isn't married, has children, or someone (like parents) that rely on his existence.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59safaricat View Post
Dude is an idiot and almost lost it at the 0:49 mark. Even dumber pulling that stunt in a T-shirt instead of full leathers. Crap like this pisses me off, not only is he putting himself in danger but also motorist. Hope he isn't married, has children, or someone (like parents) that rely on his existence.
That's what happens when you're young, an adrenaline junky and you feel bulletproof. They do stupid things. That looked to me like it was probably in CA somewhere, maybe around LA, don't know. When I lived in the south, we used to spend a lot of time hiking in the Smokies. A few times we had to drive on the notorious Tail of the Dragon just cause it was the fastest route. People go there everyday to do that same thing. It's ridiculous. After seeing what people do there we just avoided it. But people do that same stuff everywhere.

As for this rider, he's definitely crazy and I agree, not safe. But (and while I don't ride motorcycles) that seemed like pretty good riding, especially on that bike. He did almost lose it, but he was totally unphased by that, just like a pro rider on a track. Except he wasn't on a track...

As for his marital status, anyone who's dumb enough to marry him will probably regret it. LOL.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not understand why people care. Get what you like. If you like autos more, you should be happy because you can get them cheaper. If you're worried about somebody 'devaluing' your car, you're in it for the wrong reasons imo.

For me, I generally prefer a manual trans up until around 2010, after that they are such a compromise in anything modern (except cars only offered with them like a Miata) that they're not worth getting.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Miatas do come with automatics, my step-son had one.

That said, he is 6-3 and 260 pounds so it was either close the door or work the clutch if running the 6 speed.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah there is no denying having a 4 speed in a classic car tends to drive the price up over a similarly equipped automatic.

I understand that and doesn't bother me. I'm personally more of a stick guy but automatics are fine. I own and race both.

I used to run UMTR (United Manual Transmission Racers) back in Cincinnati for a few years and loved competing in that. For me I have the most fun at the dragstrip with a manual trans. Doesn't even have to be fast anymore, it's just fun.

That trend has grown in the last 15 years as more and more tracks have entertained stick shift racing, and more clubs for that type of racing have been created like UMTR, UMTR South, Southeast Gassers, Clutch Kickers, Rocky Mountain Stick Shifters, just to name a few. Even the drag and drive events have incorporated a stick shift class in these events.

When I'm at the track I enjoy watching stick shift cars more than anything else. Even at an NHRA event I'm paying more attention to Stock, Super Stock, and Pro Stock, where you still see manual transmissions, don't care about the rest of it.

As far as street cars go, I can go either way. My wife prefers a stick shift and loves driving the Z. All my son has are stick shift cars. I'm stuck in the bird most of the time with a slush box, but I'm okay with it.

As far as value, not worried about it. Don't plan to sell anything and don't care. I have the cars to enjoy.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They also made Datsun 240Z's with a 3 speed Warner automatic. (under license to Jatco). Talk about ruining a nice car. Couldn't give those away years ago. Imagine they still have a little collector value today because rare.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:55 AM
Boost Engineer

I like the Nash 5 speed because it gives me flexibility, some what like a manual shifted automatic.
Ability to run around on the street at low speeds and easy on the gas at highway speeds.

Course my 10 speed Ford/GM transmission does exactly the same thing except I move the lever to drive and I am on my way.

People can argue Manual vs Auto until the cows come home. Will not change anything.

Have a Wonderful Day. Working on car projects today.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the car on the auction was a 3 speed manual, especially bench seat column shifted?

Old 10-19-2022, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
What is the car on the auction was a 3 speed manual, especially bench seat column shifted?
In that case Id take an auto over a 3 speed column shift. 3 on the floor is doable.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
But I can assure you that I will out perform you in driving a manual equipped vehicle of any type, AND, in any situation.

I'm sure you can..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles

Last edited by 71GP76TA; 10-19-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never had anybody run up to one of my cars and ask if its an automatic.... but they do ask if its a stick. I have never had anybody walk up and look inside and say.. "oh cool .. its an automatic.." but they do say... "oh cool.. its a 4 speed.." I have had people walk up and say.. "Too bad it isn't a stick" in regards to one of my automatic cars... but never the other way around. With that being said.. That is probably why Mecum hypes up the manual trans cars.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-19-2022, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even though I prefer to drive a automatic in most anything, I do follow one Pontiac enthusiast that does impress me with a stick shift car. That would be Rich Guido in his turbocharged 65 GTO, that he runs on the street, and the track. Seems to me it can run in the mid 8s in the quarter.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-19-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
this guy gets it., and about sums it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_WrJqAbjU
That was hilarious!!

Old 10-19-2022, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59safaricat View Post
... and almost lost it at the 0:49 mark.
A lesser rider most certainly would have lost it, but a quick correction does not equal "almost lost it". Might as well outlaw shift kits for autos, and posi-traction too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That was hilarious!!
Damn... He knows how to bang gears, that's for sure. But I'm hoping his quick little demonstration doesn't reflect an actual quarter mile pass, that would be insanely embarrassing.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post

Damn... He knows how to bang gears, that's for sure. But I'm hoping his quick little demonstration doesn't reflect an actual quarter mile pass, that would be insanely embarrassing.
I have no clue, Matt posted it and I just happened to see it. Cracks me up.

Grandpa with an attitude. Go gettum gramps

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 06:25 PM

It seems like manual transmission muscle cars typically bring more money than automatics. It all boils down to what people are willing to pay.

Going back to the early sixties when you could get a 327 Corvette with a two speed Powerglide or a four speed manual. For me the four speed car wins hands down. As time went on the automatics got better and surpassed manual transmissions with more gear ratios and faster shifting. Fast forward to 2022, the automatic powered cars are always faster. Yes, the manual transmission car is more engaging, I love driving a manual transmission car through the mountains. Even though it’s not funny, I like watching videos of some young punk (car thief) who never drove a stick, trying to steal one! I like having an automatic in my Trans Am as it is really just a cruiser. But I love shifting gears and working the clutch on my motorcycles.

In 1970 as a sophomore in High school, through a work study program I got a job in a local transmission shop. My first day on the job they had me pull a cast iron Powerglide out of a 62 Chevy. It took a good three hours and I found out how little I really knew. Over a six year period I rebuilt lot of automatics, GM turbo 300, 350, 400s and Powerglides. Chrysler 727s and 904s. Ford C4 and C6. These were the models I was familiar with, while the owners of the shop worked on some of the older models like Slim Jim’s (Roto Hydramatics), Dynaflows, Cruise-O-Matic, ETC. Many had to be rebuilt with less than 50K miles on them. Not because of hard part failures like planetary gear, bearings or pump failures, but because the fluid was never changed. Most rebuilds only required clutch plates, bushings and seals.

Going back 50 years ago most American cars had automatics. Yes, many muscle cars had four speeds. Because they were driven hard, they frequently required clutch replacements. When the internals on a manual transmission failed, as in gears breaking, it was often catastrophic and expensive.

Closed Thread