Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL - our pup just turned one. I know what you’re talking about! The garage is my way of hiding from her.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-23-2023, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
op here ... we adopted a four yr old alaskan malamute last week ... completely insane ... my life will never be the same ... oil leaks are the least of my concerns ... dear god please help ... HELP!!!
Well, they shed like crazy. I have had wolves and a half wolf, half malamute.
Best thing you can do is spend a half hour everyday doing sit, stay, come routine.
Give them a reward when they do good.
My hybrid used to love fetching a basketball half full of air so he could grab it.
I would kick the ball while he was in the "stay" command. Tell him to go get it and have him "stop" then "sit" then come to me and drop it.
Make a game out of it, dogs love it.
Its very important with a large, powerful dog for them to instantly "drop" anything in their mouth when commanded.
My dogs could let a 2 year old feed them a hot dog, very gentle.
I told him to drop a raccoon once and the sucker jumped back up and bit him.
Should have let him take care of the racoon his way. But he dropped it when told.
Good dog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I'm not sure, been awhile since I had the engine put together. It's an IA2 block too, some of which I think had some issue with the rear main not sealing properly. I have no idea whether my block has that issue.

I'll keep playing with it. I noticed the drain plug is leaking some too, so I'll fix that first. I don't think it is wicking all the way to the center of the pan to form a separate puddle, but anything is possible.

I also had a dipstick leak at one point, thought I had that fixed but better check again.
Yeah I had that when I was in Thailand many years ago. Four shots of penicillin in the but took care of it.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call me crazy but I tightened up the two rearmost oil pan bolts and I could swear it stopped the leak. This is with the car sitting for 5 days, leaking, then tighten the bolts and, without starting car, leak seems to stop after tightening bolts.

Just so I fully understand - the oil level in the pan should be below the oil pan gasket surface right above the circled tit on the BOP gasket? Right at the bottommost portion of the curve, the oil level should be below that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OilPanGasket.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	621923  

Old 10-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, but up in the lifter valley there’s a rear drain back hole that then sends that oil on to the spinning rear crank counter weight, and then all over if you do not have a crank scraper.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-19-2023, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Yes, but up in the lifter valley there’s a rear drain back hole that then sends that oil on to the spinning rear crank counter weight, and then all over if you do not have a crank scraper.
i have a really hard time reading the oil level too. it seems like if i go for a ride and check the oil the next morning, it will read low. but then if i don't touch the car for a week, i go back and the dipstick reads full.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same milodon 7 qt pan & fought with what I thought was a rear main leak using a 2 piece BOP seal.... turns out after pulling the motor 2 times that it wasnt the rear main it was the U seal at the back of the pan.

The milodon pan uses the rubber U seal with 3 slots that are terrible at making a good seal, I ended up using the thick cork gasket & ultra black sealant there as described mr P body in the link below and it fixed the leak, been 8+ years since with lots of street miles & drag runs, no leaks but will "seep" a bit using synthetic oils, i just wipe it dry every season, no drips on the ground though, for a pontiac I consider that pretty much leak free.

https://www.pontiacstreetperformance...sp/Sealit.html

Other members here have mentioned using the thick cork gasket and it seems to be the best option, I used the standard felpro pan gasket too, not the 1 piece type. If tightening the bolts helped the leak keep your fingers crossed, if it still leaks consider using the thick cork U gasket.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
I have the same milodon 7 qt pan & fought with what I thought was a rear main leak using a 2 piece BOP seal.... turns out after pulling the motor 2 times that it wasnt the rear main it was the U seal at the back of the pan.

The milodon pan uses the rubber U seal with 3 slots that are terrible at making a good seal, I ended up using the thick cork gasket & ultra black sealant there as described mr P body in the link below and it fixed the leak, been 8+ years since with lots of street miles & drag runs, no leaks but will "seep" a bit using synthetic oils, i just wipe it dry every season, no drips on the ground though, for a pontiac I consider that pretty much leak free.

https://www.pontiacstreetperformance...sp/Sealit.html

Other members here have mentioned using the thick cork gasket and it seems to be the best option, I used the standard felpro pan gasket too, not the 1 piece type. If tightening the bolts helped the leak keep your fingers crossed, if it still leaks consider using the thick cork U gasket.
good info, thank you. gonna take a ride and see what it looks like after driving the car again.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post: