Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-03-2024, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Fortunately you caught this before there was catastrophic damage. The damage you have is manageable. Why did this happen specifically on one lobe? That can be hashed out in these posts forever without a clear answer. As one of the few on the forum who still have little issue with flat tappet cams, this is just one more example that a roller is not a 100% cure for wiped cam lobes. It did enjoy a pretty good life span for a performance engine. In the time period you purchased and installed these lifters, Comp and many others were sourcing lifter wheels and needle bearings from various Chinese vendors. There were a considerable number of failures as we know and everyone was pointing fingers and blaming suppliers. So much so that in this time frame Crower began making all the wheels in house and axles. Also only US sourced needles. That is not the case today as they feel they have found some quality imports for some components. All we can do as end users is try to buy the very best components we can afford and cross our fingers. Hope you can get it all back together and save that camshaft.
I really don't think i want to save this cam because i am suspect and don't know for sure that its a good core. Im thinking rings bearings and new cam and lifters. Yes i am glad i caught it when i did, could have been worse. But we still know metal been circulating

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 04-04-2024, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmachota78 View Post
I really don't think i want to save this cam because i am suspect and don't know for sure that its a good core. Im thinking rings bearings and new cam and lifters. Yes i am glad i caught it when i did, could have been worse. But we still know metal been circulating
It is doubtful you could save it anyway. Yes it is a Billet cam, but like most HR grinds from Comp it is one of the lesser quality billet 5150 or 8660 cores, the induction hardening is thinner than a 8620 billets, not as tough as the 8620 either. That is why SR cams often cost more than HR cams, SR’s are ground on tougher more expensive cores.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
It is doubtful you could save it anyway. Yes it is a Billet cam, but like most HR grinds from Comp it is one of the lesser quality billet 5150 or 8660 cores, the induction hardening is thinner than a 8620 billets, not as tough as the 8620 either. That is why SR cams often cost more than HR cams, SR’s are ground on tougher more expensive cores.
I didn’t write that quite correctly, the 5150 (common HR’s) and 8660 are lesser quality cores than a 8620, but the hardening on those cores actually is deeper than a 8620. The issue is more the 5150 and 8660 get used on a wider variety of profiles and you can find that the hardened depth gets to thin to regrind.

Last edited by Jay S; 04-05-2024 at 08:19 AM.