THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:27 AM

hi, friends, I'll play ...

I've loved cars for almost as long as ive loved music. I've always had lots of vinyl but mannnny years ago a friend who owned a couple of well know record shops in the city really got me hooked on tube gear and all the gear that comes along with it. ha.

I've cobbled this system together over the years, very much on the cheap. the amps are a pair of Mac MC40s, the preamp an MFA Magus, the horns are a pair of Altec Model 19s that I grabbed in the early 2000s for ... wait for it .... $40. there was no way they were gonna fit in my Jetta so I had to dismantle them to get them in the car. and it took two trips. on top are a pair of JBL 077 high freq tweeters which are for "air" ... theyre very sweet. finally there's a Maplenoll turntable which features an air bearing platter and air bearing linear arm.

the system sounds like real life even at low volumes. the trick is finding time anymore to get downstairs and listen to something!

PS when in HS my Goat, that I still own, had a pair of Mindblowers in it ..

Mike
MA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	634258  

Old 05-26-2024, 10:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIIIJudge View Post
hi, friends, I'll play ...

I've loved cars for almost as long as ive loved music. I've always had lots of vinyl but mannnny years ago a friend who owned a couple of well know record shops in the city really got me hooked on tube gear and all the gear that comes along with it. ha.

I've cobbled this system together over the years, very much on the cheap. the amps are a pair of Mac MC40s, the preamp an MFA Magus, the horns are a pair of Altec Model 19s that I grabbed in the early 2000s for ... wait for it .... $40. there was no way they were gonna fit in my Jetta so I had to dismantle them to get them in the car. and it took two trips. on top are a pair of JBL 077 high freq tweeters which are for "air" ... theyre very sweet. finally there's a Maplenoll turntable which features an air bearing platter and air bearing linear arm.

the system sounds like real life even at low volumes. the trick is finding time anymore to get downstairs and listen to something!

PS when in HS my Goat, that I still own, had a pair of Mindblowers in it ..

Mike
MA
Very nice! The thing about those speakers is the efficiency. 40W is enough to do the job. Love the Diskwasher & D4, I still have mine.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 05-26-2024, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

And out in the shop providing joy to the neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240526_174716.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	634327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240526_174856.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	634328  

The Following User Says Thank You to VCho455 For This Useful Post: