Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why do i ask?
I have been using a light duty hydraulic scissor jack for maintenance on the family's modern 4 cyl beater's. I can pic up one side of the car with moderate effort.

Move to the firebird, the same jack WILL NOT pic up one front wheel of the 2 gen with jack under the lower control arm.

Got me thinking..

Could I drop my ET by 1/2 a second changing to a 4 gen? I understand it's not apples to apples.

Or should i just buy a good floor jack for working around the house.

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 06-04-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:16 PM

Default 462

I have plenty of room to change plugs on mine as well as removing the distributor cap.

See my thread build @ 1998 Trans Am with a Butler Performance 462 Pontiac Motor.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got my 78 Trans Am down to 3100 lbs keeping all steel panels and glass. Aluminum heads. Chrome moly cage. All the weight I removed was from the nose of the car, except for fuel tank, which was replaced by smaller fuel cell. Gutted the front bumper, removed bars from doors, gutted the dash, etc. Race buckets and removed carpet and under padding and replaced with light weight carpet This is race only car, I wouldn't recommend this for a street car. Trunk lid and rear bumper are not as heavy as you might think.