THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I reported him.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny how these novelty items are geared towards the undocumentable cars.
I'd like to see some honest to goodness novelty stuff, at $175 that novelty is lost.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kind of a hijack..... but when my 69 Firebird was being cloned into a TA at the body shop someone stole the vin# thinking it was real. Is there a source for this? I doubt. None would get upset about a replacement bin on a 350 2bbl car

Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I reported him.
It won't get you anywhere. I've reported people selling VIN tags and titles and those either sold or played out to term.

Evil Bay has rules but they make no effort to follow them because its all about the money.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These kind of "services" exist because there is a market for them. The fake "barn finds" are even more upsetting to me than a fake or "tribute" car. Why? Because they represent the ultimate in laziness in the car hobby IMO. Here I have this old, neglected, POS car that's been sitting around here for 40 years that no one has paid any attention to and is worthless, but as of today I am going to proclaim it an amazing "barn find". I am too lazy to fix it up, get it properly road worthy, and look presentable, so I will make this proclamation, create a fake back story, buy some dated trinkets to throw on it, and now to complete the story, for $175.00, I have the "original body broadcast sheet with hog ring rust". Now it's extra super cool!

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
It won't get you anywhere.
I can't say it was my action that made eBay react, but when I follow the link today it says "the listing has ended." It takes no effort to report these things, so there's no reason to stand by and do nothing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you. One less scam for now. Appreciate your efforts.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I copied this to the Chevelle Forum. Apparently this guy has been doing this for quite sometime. Has a number of eBay sales going on for different makes

that is good ol Jim Cleamans famed for fake build sheets, window stickers POP and other GM paper work. been doing it for more then 40 years. MANY MANY stories on him and his work on the internet.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Senior Chief

I would love to get a repro broadcast sheet for my cars as I have not found the original ones. I have a repro window sticker in my Judge. However I understand a lot of people would try to say the repro ones are the originals. Marc.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My GTO is a survivor .... it survived all the stupid modifications I made to it, a couple of wrecks, years of abuse and neglect, and three crappy paint jobs ... so it's definitely a survivor

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejudge View Post
. However I understand a lot of people would try to say the repro ones are the originals. Marc.
It's not so much the build sheet being fake...The real danger is making a realistic looking document to help authenticate a fake car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First noticed, the ebay item posted in the first post was NOT a broadcast sheet/aka build sheet, it was small sheet for upholstery. Not really sure why anyone would even be interested faking or in blowing $$$ on buying such a piece, it proves nothing important as far as how a car was assembled. Do agree reproduction build sheets, ESP very well printed out ones would be horrible for the hobby. One of the great reasons for restoring extremely rare Pontiacs musclecars is we have PHS.

Next, Ed (OG68 ) mentioned a long time Chevrolet pariah from Lubbock TX. Fake build sheets, fake P-O-P,s, made up tank stickers for early Vettes, SBC & BBC recreated high horse blocks. VINs (supposedly freshly created ones), just a lot of really BAD MOJO coming out of there, for decades.... Back in the early 90's, it was pointed out to me @ the old Pate Swapmeet who this character was. A few years later, a local with very deep pockets called me to help authenticate a '70 LS6 Chevelle SS convert project he had put a deposit on. Long time Chevrolet collectors knew of this creation, complete with factory alum heads, one of the points that tipped off the knowledgeable. After a few phone calls with a few very educated sources, my advice was "do not buy it". A year later the exact same "LS6 Chevelle SS" convert project went across @ Barrett Jackson with, of course, a bunch of "documentation". Can't remember if it sold or not, but it was very evident to those in the know what "LS6" Chevelle convert it was.

As far as the above trim (upholstery) sheet being a Clemmen's recreation, who knows if there is any correlation . One thing for certain, if you search his name, you will notice an obituary, as it appeared he died last Fall.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 02-08-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
It's not so much the build sheet being fake...The real danger is making a realistic looking document to help authenticate a fake car.
This is the problem. Like I said before I would like to have one for my car just because, but I can see these kinda things being lethal when it comes to the difference between a run of the mill Chevelle and one worth $100k+