Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, post the cad pic showing the intake and head together from the end view.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO View Post
Bill, post the cad pic showing the intake and head together from the end view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (2).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	403896  

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks awesome Bill

Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Stan, that was informative. Kind of thing I was looking for. You have done that more than once, thanks again.

Wait a minute twin, I have "associates" !!!! That cracked me up. I do not know any of the fine people (including you) on this site. Friends with none of them as I live a very long way from everyone. I am not in anyone's "camp". And no, you did not throw out a insult, greatgto did. If you pay attention I have stayed away from CV threads for awhile.
And if you can not handle people asking questions do not start the thread. Just answer my question yourself. Why so tall and what is up with the strange twist on the end runners. Never seen anything like it, there has to be a reason.
I think the 2 piece thing is pretty cool. Has to be for serious porting.
And I did consider CV-1 heads before I bought a different aluminum head. Started a thread about it. Any aftermarket head will make the kind of power I am looking for.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I said get glasses or a brain because those style of intakes are everywhere. 3 other brands of engines are posted on the previous page using the same style intakes.

Yet you've never seen them before , and it must be some kind of "crutch" Like I said, a brain or glasses.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to regret this post I'm sure but here goes. This is NOT a dis just an observation.
The race between LIL Jack and Dick Fulton was not about them 2. They both are top notch racers and we all know that. If we were racing go karts they would be at the top of the pack.
It was about a new design of 2 heads. I'm sure Dick will be the fastest CV-1 guy you have ever had so far. Everyone on this site knows dyno number are bullchit. They are a base. I have 2 Chevy friends that both went on the dyno, one made 870 to the ground the other 822. Very close in weight, big tire cars. Of course my money was on the 870 car, glad I did not bet. The lower h.p. car beat him by 6-7 cars in the 1/4. Both hooked great had great passes.

I think the big $$$ boys want to see a CV head run real fast.
There are plenty of CV-1 street builds that make great power for what they are and run great.
I think everyone is waiting to see what a max effort will run on the track, not the dyno. That race would have been a good comparison.
I think it could still happen just not at Norwalk.
Please no name calling cause I am just stating an opinion.
When Fulton gets out hopefully that will speak for itself.
Much Pontiac love no matter what head is on it!!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I'm going to regret this post I'm sure but here goes. This is NOT a dis just an observation.
The race between LIL Jack and Dick Fulton was not about them 2. They both are top notch racers and we all know that. If we were racing go karts they would be at the top of the pack.
It was about a new design of 2 heads. I'm sure Dick will be the fastest CV-1 guy you have ever had so far. Everyone on this site knows dyno number are bullchit. They are a base. I have 2 Chevy friends that both went on the dyno, one made 870 to the ground the other 822. Very close in weight, big tire cars. Of course my money was on the 870 car, glad I did not bet. The lower h.p. car beat him by 6-7 cars in the 1/4. Both hooked great had great passes.

I think the big $$$ boys want to see a CV head run real fast.
There are plenty of CV-1 street builds that make great power for what they are and run great.
I think everyone is waiting to see what a max effort will run on the track, not the dyno. That race would have been a good comparison.
I think it could still happen just not at Norwalk.
Please no name calling cause I am just stating an opinion.
When Fulton gets out hopefully that will speak for itself.
Much Pontiac love no matter what head is on it!!
Preach it, brotha!

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Thanks Stan, that was informative. Kind of thing I was looking for. You have done that more than once, thanks again.

Wait a minute twin, I have "associates" !!!! That cracked me up. I do not know any of the fine people (including you) on this site. Friends with none of them as I live a very long way from everyone. I am not in anyone's "camp". And no, you did not throw out a insult, greatgto did. If you pay attention I have stayed away from CV threads for awhile.
And if you can not handle people asking questions do not start the thread. Just answer my question yourself. Why so tall and what is up with the strange twist on the end runners. Never seen anything like it, there has to be a reason.
I think the 2 piece thing is pretty cool. Has to be for serious porting.
And I did consider CV-1 heads before I bought a different aluminum head. Started a thread about it. Any aftermarket head will make the kind of power I am looking for.
... you went way past asking questions, right into that same ole' "end runner" nonsense, hell I'd be thrilled if all you did was just ask questions ...

... and strange twist ??? ...

... one of the primary goals was to equalize runner length from middle to end, and aim the centerline of each end runner towards the back corner venturi of the carb ...

Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I think the 2 piece thing is pretty cool. Has to be for serious porting.And I did consider CV-1 heads before I bought a different aluminum head. Started a thread about it. Any aftermarket head will make the kind of power I am looking for.
Look at it like this.

EVERY cylinder head is a compromise. The Victor style intake works well because both intake runner are next to each other, but you run out of usable area which limits port size. Since the intake runner on the CV 's are spread out more, you have more area without going to large offset rockers and valve train which can cause issues. Take a look at the BBC, the runners are not always equal or flow the same depending on the head.

I'm not trying to be a "nut hugger" here, just looking at port size. Had Roland not decided to use standard Pontiac style exhaust ports, he could have made all the ports and chambers more of the same like conventional BBC heads are, but he was trying to adapt to the masses.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Look at it like this.

EVERY cylinder head is a compromise. The Victor style intake works well because both intake runner are next to each other, but you run out of usable area which limits port size. Since the intake runner on the CV 's are spread out more, you have more area without going to large offset rockers and valve train which can cause issues. Take a look at the BBC, the runners are not always equal or flow the same depending on the head.

I'm not trying to be a "nut hugger" here, just looking at port size. Had Roland not decided to use standard Pontiac style exhaust ports, he could have made all the ports and chambers more of the same like conventional BBC heads are, but he was trying to adapt to the masses.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
How many Pontiacs need that extra area?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A good program to play what if games with and look at areas, harmonic lengths and plenum volumes is Larry Meaux's PipeMax software.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
looks like a good piece for a 8k range application. A lot of work for sure catering to a few class type applications. Have a build going for this intake?
a 505 was waiting in the fall of 2013 when the first proto of this manifold was delivered-
but the engine lost a rod on the dyno and hurt the crank in the process. so motor was torn down for repair.
during that process, the owner was suddenly hospitalized for back surgery. recovery and therapy time needed. to date, motor is back together waiting on some efi components.

this manifold was designed as a crossover, jc
some of the orders on this casting run are going on a different make of engine.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here are a few pics of the manifold on my motor. Slated for dyno around second week of September
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	403957   Click image for larger version

Name:	side2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	403958  

Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks awesome Bill
Yes, the runners look super.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPed View Post
here are a few pics of the manifold on my motor. Slated for dyno around second week of September
... looks great Alex, looking forward to your testing, tell Chris i said hello ...

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks awesome Bill
... thanks, but the CAD stuff is Rolands handy work ...

Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dragncar,

The basic design of the manifold is good. In part the reason for the height is to have the appropriate runner length for the desired rpm. Longer runner= lower rpm. But dont get this confused with existing pontiac manifolds as they are not anywhere near the correct length for most Pontiac's. The taller pent roof is used when the plenum has been lengthened in efforts to provide a straighter runner. All this adds up to a tall manifold.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPed View Post
What aftermarket block is that. First time I've seen the backside of one, shows casting plugs in the deck area.
I assume that's done to use the dual bell bolt pattern?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

... couple more pics ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1245-1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	404043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1246-1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	404044  

Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John ! That was exactly what I was looking for. Learned something today.
So, should the runners of most Pontiacs intakes be longer ? I have a T1,T2, RPM, P4B,HSD, 66 Tri Power, Victor and a Warrior.
I like the Warrior even though many rip on it. It has kind of long runners. And my car runs the best with it. Dan Whitmore did some plenum work on it and I converted it from 4150 to 4500 and did a little work on it myself.
One summer I did back to back testing with my intakes. Just bolted them on, and my Warrior is matched to my HOs. But it went like this, Warrior fastest, then Victor, RPM, T2 and T1.
I am a welder by trade. (and your work is art to me) I would love to get my own Tig and try making intakes just to do it. I am sure I can do the welding/fab stuff. Its just all the knowledge it would take to do it so they would work right, well that is a intimidating learning curve. I have access to a milling machine. I heard Hogan or Wilson make "kits" for this sort of thing.
Or just pay you to do it.