THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2022, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Advice/direction on my 69 GTO

Looking for opinions on my 69 GTO. Please keep your mind open!

The orange wrap is going on great. Yes there are imperfections under the paint but the car already looks like more fun.

As this progresses obviously the priorities change. As I’ve said in another post, the finish is not like paint, more like a plastic toy- think Barbie corvette for the sheen.

Someone posted that it gives the car a ‘day 2’ look and I can’t get it out of my head.

The car will be orange with Judge stripes and a spoiler. Obviously the thin white line tires I spent so much on will not fit this vibe.

I can pull the Rallye II’s off my 70 LeMans and roll with them easily.

While joking around yesterday at the shop we realized none of us had done a car with side pipes. I can raise the rear, put 15” slots, side pipes, gold valve covers and yellow plug wires on it and have a relatively proper 70’s vintage ride. Maybe even add amber lights?

I can leave the suspension as is and put some 17”s or 18”s on it and go with a restomod look.

Couple of things to think about- the wrap is not going to look perfect due to the finish under it. I have concerns that putting modern wheels and tires on it (while cool) might look more roadkill than restomod which is not what I’m going for. The car is too nice and solid for that. There won’t be parts hanging off of the car.

Of the cars from this era 68-72 I already have:
68 LeMans convertible stock on 17” Hurst wheels
69 GTO (let’s see what we decide)
70 LeMans stock on 7” and 8” Rally II’s
70 GTO judge clone on 17” honeycombs
70 GTO convertible at body shop- the plan is 17” TA wheels mini lites (I think)
71 GTO Judge clone on 15” honeycombs
72 Luxury LeMans on…. Does it matter? It’s green and has fender skirts.

So….

Keep it stock and use 7”/8” Rallye II combo with no trim rings?

Go full Day 2, really no way to half way do this. Slots and side pipes?

Restomod/Roadkill look with modern wheels and tires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713FE00-38C3-450B-8784-0BBFA274B3AE.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	603237   Click image for larger version

Name:	48C0E24B-8BF9-4B3A-BF7E-7363B57A9B87.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	603238   Click image for larger version

Name:	44CE8DD0-01FD-4AB6-B5B7-7280023C8F6C.jpg
Views:	154