The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-20-2021, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear window trim studs

Hi all. Today I am working on installing trim studs for the rear windshield reveal molding. The original trim studs were long gone, since the previous owner had done some butcher repairs around the rear window and then just glued the trim on afterward. Yeah...

Now with all the metal in that area properly fixed, I need to get trim studs back in. I have screw in studs and the diagram from Belding that is often circulated here. My issue is that when I measure things out per the Belding diagram, the studs along the top don't seem correct to me. The top right stud is closer to the corner of the window opening than it is on the left side.

Question: Can I place the studs more or less evenly around the window opening, so long as they are at the correct height from the window mating surface? The clips can slide in the trim, right?

Thanks!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, forgot to mention it's for a '66 GTO.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't think that would be an issue.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a problem.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear window Trim Clips.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	563094  

Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's the diagram I was working from.

So just to confirm, the clips on the trim itself can slide side to side to be positioned wherever the studs are on the body, right?

Old 03-22-2021, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Yeah, that's the diagram I was working from.

So just to confirm, the clips on the trim itself can slide side to side to be positioned wherever the studs are on the body, right?
It sounds like maybe you don’t understand how the clips are installed. The clip are installed on the studs and then the molding is snapped into the clips. It sounds like you think it is the other way around.

Apologies if i misunderstood you.

Don

Old 03-22-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
It sounds like maybe you don’t understand how the clips are installed. The clip are installed on the studs and then the molding is snapped into the clips. It sounds like you think it is the other way around.

Apologies if i misunderstood you.

Don
You are correct that I don't understand how the clips are installed. The reason for that is because I don't have anything to reference. The previous owner of my car had glued the trim to the car, and no clips on the trim or studs on the body were present.

But anyway, it sounds like I'll be good if I just space the studs evenly as long as they are placed at the correct height. Things for helping me understand how it works!

Old 03-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

But anyway, it sounds like I'll be good if I just space the studs evenly as long as they are placed at the correct height. Things for helping me understand how it works!

Another thing to consider when laying out locations for window trim clips for any car, is being sure you avoid the areas where moldings are joined/interlock because the clip will not catch on the trim. I normally try to stay at least a couple of inches from the joints.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Another thing to consider when laying out locations for window trim clips for any car, is being sure you avoid the areas where moldings are joined/interlock because the clip will not catch on the trim. I normally try to stay at least a couple of inches from the joints.
Good point!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The studs are screwed into the body....then the clips are pushed down onto that stud.. Then the moldings are pushed down onto the clips and snap in. And put some seam sealer in the hole you drilled ,before screwing in the new stud

Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=MUSLCAH;6235998]The studs are screwed into the body....then the clips are pushed down onto that stud.. Then the moldings are pushed down onto the clips and snap in. And put some seam sealer in the hole you drilled ,before screwing in the new stud[/QUOTE

I'll post pictures of what MUSLCAH is describing on Tuesday. I installed some of the screw in studs today on a Camaro we did.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
And put some seam sealer in the hole you drilled ,before screwing in the new stud
When I did mine, I actually sprayed all of my studs with epoxy primer. When good and cured, I dipped the threads in JB Weld right before driving them into place.
Also, I made sure the holes for the screws were just large enough to start the screw tip. That way they were very tight when I drove them in with a good Phillips head driver. They are pressured pretty good when you start installing/removing trim and clips and you don't want them coming loose... Remember, the originals were welded.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	5DB65A96-3256-4713-8898-29FC2787E3A4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	563215

Name:	FFA736E7-FDD3-42E7-BE3A-EF6A0BC09AF2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	563216

Take the clip and and hold it in the channel ....and make sure that the top edge of the clip is a CH lower than the roof edge or pillar ...or back deck or cowl....and Mark where the screw hole should be. Do some test holes on a random piece of sheet metal to get the correct size drill hole. Some clips allow you to slide the clip over the stud....and some clips need to be installed like the pic above.. Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We drill and thread the holes prior to paint. Then we brush epoxy primer into the hole. Later when the stud is put in I use a pinch of window ribbon on the tip if the screw to seal it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F217686-FC3B-4ACA-81A4-0A35ABD140EE.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	563239  

Old 03-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
We drill and thread the holes prior to paint. Then we brush epoxy primer into the hole. Later when the stud is put in I use a pinch of window ribbon on the tip if the screw to seal it.
Ain’t it great we all take the time to take pics ...and up load and post helpful tips from decades of experience.......and don’t even get a THANKS. But I realize that life sometimes gets in way.