Old 05-28-2022, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vice Grip Garage '67 GTO

Derek on Vice Grip Garage (youtube) is 'bringing back around' a burgundy/black '67 GTO hardtop that has been sitting since 1982. The owner is a disabled Vietnam veteran and he does not know his son has taken the car to have Derek get it back on the road. I watched the first part last night, and it's a very worthy project. Check it out and subscribe to the channel if you haven't already. Dereck is a very humble guy and a real gearhead. His videos are highly entertaining, at least in my humble opinion.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy Vise Grip Garage and watched this episode when it premiered on Friday. Looks like a very solid and complete car that hasn't been monkeyed with. It sounded at times like there was some bearing noise coming from one of the engine accessories (water pump would be my guess). I'm sure Derek will get it all sorted out, and I'm looking forward to the future episodes. His claim of 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds is, shall we say, optimistic.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-29-2022, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
I enjoy Vise Grip Garage and watched this episode when it premiered on Friday. Looks like a very solid and complete car that hasn't been monkeyed with. It sounded at times like there was some bearing noise coming from one of the engine accessories (water pump would be my guess). I'm sure Derek will get it all sorted out, and I'm looking forward to the future episodes. His claim of 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds is, shall we say, optimistic.
Motortrend ran a test with a 4 speed car and an auto car in 1967 and did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with M&H street/strip tires on the back and a set of 3.90 gears.

That said, the 335HP, AC/Auto equipped VG Garage goat likely has 2.93's out back so it would be a lot more leisurely getting to 60!

One issue I've seen with these Pontiacs that sit more than 20 years, is the timing covers dissolve around the water pump plates internally from electrolysis, and you can't tell anything is wrong but the thing will get HOT.
We'll see if Derek runs into that....there's a good chance he will. I've seen it more than once, and in dry CA, too.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Feel like all that stuff is so scripted but happy a vet is getting some help w his car.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-31-2022, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

Very solid car, good story to go with it. That brake system ought to be interesting....

Old 05-31-2022, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Motortrend ran a test with a 4 speed car and an auto car in 1967 and did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with M&H street/strip tires on the back and a set of 3.90 gears.

That said, the 335HP, AC/Auto equipped VG Garage goat likely has 2.93's out back so it would be a lot more leisurely getting to 60!

One issue I've seen with these Pontiacs that sit more than 20 years, is the timing covers dissolve around the water pump plates internally from electrolysis, and you can't tell anything is wrong but the thing will get HOT.
We'll see if Derek runs into that....there's a good chance he will. I've seen it more than once, and in dry CA, too.
It got hot, once in the video. He thought it had air in the coolant, and that he had it fixed....We will know more about that in coming episodes!!!!
Man, his move to Tennessee will allow him to do much more work and do it easier. Some of those frozen Minnesota videos make me cringe, especially when its craazing cold IN his shop.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-31-2022, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan66 View Post
Very solid car, good story to go with it. That brake system ought to be interesting....
Yeah, with the stuck brake pedal, I was guessing the good old 4 piston calipers seized all up!!! (I hope it has disc)

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...