Old 12-16-2022, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default Parking brake question?

Seems I've stumped our host on one of their parts. It's R176D. It's described as the front parking brake cable return spring retainer. I'm replacing all the cables on my 67 GTO and I not only don't have this clip on the old cables or springs, it's not part of the new kit K170KD. I apparently don't need this part, I'm just more curious than anything. Anyone know where this goes and what exactly it does?

Old 12-17-2022, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm, I don't recognize that part.

That said, I have a complete parking brake kit for 1967 GTO that I bought from Ames and was planning to use in my '66, but I ended up needing to use a Wilwood universal kit instead due to my rear disc brakes. If you're interested, I'll make you a deal on it. The only thing that isn't brand new/unused is the front cable which is the original out of my '66, but it's in excellent condition and functions as new.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 12-18-2022, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

I have the new complete kit, I just don't know what part ri76d is and why it's sold separately. I think it's an obsolete part.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomowgto View Post
Seems I've stumped our host on one of their parts. It's R176D. It's described as the front parking brake cable return spring retainer. I'm replacing all the cables on my 67 GTO and I not only don't have this clip on the old cables or springs, it's not part of the new kit K170KD. I apparently don't need this part, I'm just more curious than anything. Anyone know where this goes and what exactly it does?
on the front cable, you'd pull back on that spring from where it's pushing on that crimped ball and slide this in cupped side to the spring. it would stop the spring from trying to expand and push over the ball. I doubt it matters much if it wasn't there. possible the crimped stop on the cable wasn't that large ball on originals so there was more of a reason to stop the spring there from jumping over the crimp ferrule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	604290