Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Do you have to replace the uppers and the lowers?
You don't have to. Many people do uppers only which is where the caster correction comes from.

One thing you should be aware of if you don't replace the lowers as well is that the wheel will tend to move aft in the wheel well. For a car that is correct and true, this typically isn't an issue and only a discerning eye will tell there has been an offset. If the car has issues with how the body is on the chassis it's possible you can run in to rubbing issue with the wheel moving.

Going to a matched lower, re-positions the wheels correctly with the improved geometry uppers.

One thing that is nice about leaving the stock lowers in place is you get the stock look. You can't see the upper arms and most of the rest of the suspension from outside the car, unless the hood is up. So if you want that stock look, with better handling, leaving those lowers in place helps accomplish that.

Just put new bushings in it. I always recommend greasable delrin bushings as it really helps with on center feel as you no longer have slack or deflection in the arms. There's no appreciable increase in NVH with these bushings, so there's really no downside to running them.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did anyone have issues with shocks after installing the knockoffs? I bought my "knockoffs" from Speedway but haven't installed yet. Since buying them, Speedway has noted that stock length shocks won't fit with their Speedway branded control arms. I think this is due to the 1.5" drop that comes with the A arms. I'm planning on doing this all in one day, so need the right parts on hand or to know whether I can get replacement shocks locally.

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 AM

I've had them on my Chevelle for many years now. I had a ball joint failure, super lucky, happened in my driveway, pics are on the Chevelle Forum, sticky in the suspension forum. I replaced all 4 ball joints. Once I got past that, they've worked out well. I run Bilstein shocks, no problems installing them on an A body. As far as Global West, installed their stuff in a 66 full size Chevy, Had issues with the install, their tech support was useless, had to figure out a solution on my own. Owner had spent a ton of money with them, front and rear suspension, sway bars, steering box, tech support was very disappointing.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear that about Global. Every time I've called I get Doug the owner on the phone and is helpful. Tweaked a few body bushings custom for me even over the years.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenweb View Post
Did anyone have issues with shocks after installing the knockoffs? I bought my "knockoffs" from Speedway but haven't installed yet. Since buying them, Speedway has noted that stock length shocks won't fit with their Speedway branded control arms. I think this is due to the 1.5" drop that comes with the A arms. I'm planning on doing this all in one day, so need the right parts on hand or to know whether I can get replacement shocks locally.
Mine look the same as yours but have a red insert/isolator in the spring pocket. They were sold as OEM replacement/stock geometry so I used stock length shocks and stock alignment specs with slightly more caster. I guess without the inserts they would give a 1-1/2" drop.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do the knock-off's position the lower balljoint in a factory location, or are the moved forward about an inch like the SC&C lowers do?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never compared them. Lots of debate on the various advertised configs of what look like the same product. Some say +4 degrees caster designed into the upper control arms, others claim OEM. My gut says they are all +4 degrees since they cloned the original maker's product. I doubt they went through the trouble of re-engineering the geometry of the original design.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe the Global West knock-offs should be called Global East knock-offs.....

Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Maybe the Global West knock-offs should be called Global East knock-offs.....
Clever! lol

It's like the Gibson knockoff guitars made in China, affectionately (?) referred to as Chibsons.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Helped a friend install a set of the Summit knock-offs last year on his '67 LeMans. First thing we noticed was that the zerk fitting on the top A-frame was put on the bottom of the cross tube so it was useless. Actually worse than useless since it scraped on the frame and had to be removed and the hole plugged. Second thing that we came up against was the top unit didn't clear the frame mount, and the side tubes were too close together to slip over. Both problems were rectified with additional metal work, but if they can't get the small details correct then how close are they on the geometry? If they can't even get their product to slip over the stock mount, what hope do we have that the remainder of the jigging is anywhere close?

Global West is only about 25 minutes away from me, and I've never stopped by that they haven't stopped what they were working on to help me.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine fit perfectly. I remember putting a 90 degree zirk on one fitting for ease of access.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the knock off ones for the 442, replaced the ball joints because of concerns others had, and did change the zerk fittings on lowers with 90s. Think it was the lower rears.

Just to clarify, there are a couple different versions of the control arms floating around. Right Stuff/Pirate Jack sells the ones that are the 'good' version, and you can see by pics which ones those are. As I recall, it was something with the shape, or a brace location/angle, but I would have to go back and check to be sure.

I wasn't aware of any of the clone ones having improved geometry, but I could be mistaken. I sold the uppers and used the money to offset the purchase of GW uppers.

I originally tried the CPP spindles, which was a total failure (can see my review thread here), then upgraded to the AFX spindles. All is good now.

I have GW uppers and lowers on the new project, was going to compare the knock-off lowers, but that's not that easy to do when it comes to geometry. Visually, they look almost identical though, holding them next to each other.

I've always had great service with GW, and have always reached Doug when calling tech. I have heard some having issues dealing with them, which surprised me. I don't doubt that some may have had issues dealing with them, but I can only comment on my personal experiences. I know they are busy, and know production is backlogged, taking time for some items/issues to be resolved. He's at the mercy of his manufacturers, pretty much, it's not that he is intentionally trying to screw people. He truly works his business out of dedication to the hobby/sport.

EDIT: I believe only the F body, 2nd gen lowers are different when it comes to the SC&C lowers and ball joint location. And believe that's only when using the AFX spindles. But I would have to go back and check to be sure.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug is a good guy. Owns a '65 GTO himself.

I found years ago Doug (and his former sales guy Ron) to be among the best and most knowledgeable in the business.

Small business owner who is probably wearing many hats.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About to fit my global west knock offs back to my bare frame cause I am getting it back from AMD while they do the body work. I will report back. I am using ac delco shocks and springs all around so if something is amiss I should find out about it

Old 12-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also put the tall ball joints upper and lower in the control arms so I can report about shock length

Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I also put the tall ball joints upper and lower in the control arms so I can report about shock length
Did the shocks fit?

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes stock shocks fit fine

Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alignment shop said there was definitely more adjustability in these arms than stock ones after giving them the alignment specs I wanted. These are the cheap (279) upper and lowers found all over eBay and Summit. Look exactly like my father in laws real global west.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had mine on the shelf for months, never got around to replacing the ball joints.
Anyone know how much heavier they are than stock arms? They seem heavier.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just shipped my old ones to Tom Vaught and my factory ones weighed in right at 40 pounds.