Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Who here has a GPS tracker on their beloved GTO or classic car? Recommend please

I'm buying a GPS tracker soon; like 1 or 2 days. What do you recommend and why?

GPS brand and model?
Hard wired or battery?
Mounting location in your vehicle?
Tracking plans or subscriptions?
Companies to monitor your tracker?
Are they weatherproof? Should they or could they go in some type of container?

I can't think of any other questions at the moment. I would like to add that my 67 GTO will mostly be a weekend and holiday driver. Like most of us (assumably), this is a 2nd vehicle and not driven that much. Soon, I will be having a Tremec tranny and Moser rear installed. It will be in the shop for about a month.

What recommendations are there on GPS trackers?

Old 02-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a bit of a luddite but a gps tracker on a GTO?

Why?

(Sounds like something your insurance company would love you to have.)

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 02-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For tracking if case of theft.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post

Why?

Because classic cars are extremely easy to steal and they do get stolen fairly often. There have been a number of cars stolen from hotel parking lots during the Hot Rod Power Tour, Drag Week, etc., over the years, and those are just the ones we hear about.

Some of us have quite a bit of time and money invested into our GTOs, and in my case it also holds a lot of sentimental value. Sure, it's insured, but I'd like to keep it from being stolen and put into a shipping container bound for a foreign country.

As far as OP's question, I don't have any answers but am interested in the same topic for my own car. A good device would need its own power supply separate from the main car battery. One option I am exploring is using an old cell phone as a GPS tracker. Many of us have old phones laying around, and even if you don't, old used phones can be purchased for very little money. It wouldn't take much work to hide it in a discrete location (under rear seat cushion?), run a discrete power supply under the carpet from the main car battery. If the car battery is disconnected, the phone will rely on its own internal battery until it runs out, which can be a week or longer depending on phone model.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 02-04-2021 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 05:04 PM

Default ENGINE gps

How about a gps device hidden within an engine, say on the underside of the intake manifold, or within the oil pan (I know, far more difficult). After all there are cars that may be worth less than the engine, especially with the more exotic engines.

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 02-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger View Post
How about a gps device hidden within an engine, say on the underside of the intake manifold, or within the oil pan (I know, far more difficult). After all there are cars that may be worth less than the engine, especially with the more exotic engines.
GPS devices require a power supply, either wired or battery, and ideally both. Electronic devices also don't last long in hot environments with lots of vibration. And then there's the issue that a GPS tracker must also be able to link up to the satellites orbiting the earth, which probably wouldn't be possible inside an engine.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post 4. Brilliant.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years ago I researched ebay trackers that used a cell phone SIM card and could send out texts, etc, but since my car was not finished I moved on and have since been "out of the loop", thus my interest.

Post #4 is bang on...I spent 20 years (and counting) working on this thing, and I want to drive it when I am done but am scared ****less at the thought of an overnight motel stay.

Best protection would be to disable it from running but tracking would be a close second. I suppose a rollback wrecker could snatch it up quick even if it would not start.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 02-04-2021, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Google Scott Taylor Racing. He is selling a line of products for this.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
I suppose a rollback wrecker could snatch it up quick even if it would not start.
Yep, it takes less than 60 seconds to hook up a car and start rolling.

https://youtu.be/qdizrpHmAKE?t=60

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just sleep in the car during weekend events like that. Usually with a side arm to keep me company.

Not a big deal really. We use the motel for showers, etc... and my wife and family can sleep comfortably, then I'll head on down to the car and lay down in the back seat. Has worked for me for decades, so I have no issues at all driving the cars long distance and multiple states.

Events like that we are usually hanging around the cars till the wee hours of the morning anyway, I just need a cat nap and I'm ready to go.

Any other time we are daily driving them anyway, every day in town, wife goes to work with one every day, they are always parked where I can keep an eye on them so I don't worry about it. My wife parks hers right outside her office window.

I'm a big advocate of driving and enjoying these cars, but with that comes some responsibilities and added practices that a lot of people just can't or don't want to deal with.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-04-2021 at 09:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:45 PM
Suspended

If they want it, they'll get it.

If you're that worried about it, leave it home in your garage.

Oh wait! They can get it there too.

Keep in mind, nothing stops a rollback or Repo wheel-lift and the guys that drive them know all the tricks as well as assume every hot car or trailer has a GPS. Your average run-of-the-mill thief is dumb as a rock. Collector, exotic and race car thieves know what they're doing.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post

Why?

You have no worries of theft of your ride?

Old 02-05-2021, 01:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After a few hours of research; I bought the Lonestar Oyster2 on Amazon. Unit cost:$130.00 and monitoring by Lonestar $150.00 for the year. In the event my car was moved, I would get a notification on my cell phone. If my car was missing, I would notify the police of course and Lonestar. The tracker provides updates every 5 minutes of its location.

Douglas Willinger: I learned something today from the rep at Lonestar. A GPS uses cell phone towers for transmission. He explained to me that a cell phone signal will first bounce off the ground then transmit to our phone. Therefore; he explained the best place for a GPS tracker is within the frame being so close to the ground. I thought the thick metal would be an obstruction of the incoming signal.

ZeGermanHand: I was also thinking hardwire over battery or both, but the rep at Lonestar encouraged me to go with a battery-powered GPS tracker. For one, ease of installation. Two, he stated a thief would look for any wires going to the battery and may cut them. Although the fuse box could be a power source. It comes with 3 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and they last up to 5 years. I know, hard to believe.
Also, great Youtube video; freaking scary.

FormulaJones: Many Floridians carry a peacemaker and I have a concealed weapons permit, but God forbid I ever have to use it. Sleeping in the back seat would just be too hot and humid (South FLA) unless it’s Nov. through Feb. I like a halfway decent hotel, with a bed, AC, TV, and cold beer.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:20 AM
Senior Chief

Did Lonestar mention a GPS tracking device blocker costs about $30 sent from China directly to your door?

Not that I think GPS trackers are useless, I am considering one myself as well but the people who will steal these cars for a living will how to circumvent these trackers as well..

Perhaps a combination of a GPS tracker and asking mr. Formulajones to sleep in the back of your car with his handgun is the safest bet..

Old 02-05-2021, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
Did Lonestar mention a GPS tracking device blocker costs about $30 sent from China directly to your door?

Not that I think GPS trackers are useless, I am considering one myself as well but the people who will steal these cars for a living will how to circumvent these trackers as well..

Perhaps a combination of a GPS tracker and asking mr. Formulajones to sleep in the back of your car with his handgun is the safest bet..
WOW, Lonestar did not mention such a device and this is the first I've heard of it. As stated above, if a thief wants it, they will get it.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill have to look into that lonestar unit mentioned. Ive considered such a device before.

A buddys new BMW came with one, he was carjacked at gunpoint. Calmly let them take the car. Then when he was safe he called the police and used the GPS tracker attached to his phone and it was quickly recovered with arrests made. Ive been thinking about something like that for my classics ever since.

I agree with Chief (that hurt a little) that if someone wants it they are going to get it. Same with your house, if they want in they are going to get in. This doesnt mean you dont take what common sense safety measures you can, but I wouldnt make it my lifes work to break in proof something. Fools errand.

I feel like the more prudent move might be as fast as possible recovery, which is where the GPS could shine.

I also have concealed permits in multiple states, but honestly unless I felt a life was in danger I would probably just let them take the car. I dont want to kill anyone, so unless I felt that myself or someone else was in mortal danger Im not going to try and take a life myself. I wouldnt run out of the hotel room shooting. Too much to go wrong at not a lot of financial risk to myself. Meanwhile, a bystander catches a ricochet or something and now you are in real trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post

FormulaJones: Many Floridians carry a peacemaker and I have a concealed weapons permit, but God forbid I ever have to use it. Sleeping in the back seat would just be too hot and humid (South FLA) unless it’s Nov. through Feb. I like a halfway decent hotel, with a bed, AC, TV, and cold beer.
Yeah I hope I never have to use mine too and chances are good that you never will. But I carry it anyway. Just the site of it if you really needed it will deter most to run the other direction 99.9% of the time. They aren't expecting me to be in the car

I put up with the humidity and somewhat uncomfortable conditions. It's just a couple of nights at the most so I don't see it as a big deal. I can run in and take a quick shower in the morning, cup of coffee and I'm ready to rock. It's a small price to pay to know my ride is safe all night so I really don't mind it much. Besides I'm usually so excited about what the day has in store that I don't get much sleep anyway even if I were in a cushy bed. I'm there to enjoy a car event and don't care much about sleep.
I usually only do events like that a couple times a year at most anyway. All the other events we attend are just a day thing and I'm home that evening.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-05-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
WOW, Lonestar did not mention such a device and this is the first I've heard of it. As stated above, if a thief wants it, they will get it.
Its not difficult today > https://www.bvsystems.com/video/dete...ckers-vehicle/

You can get a device in as simple of a place as WalMart > https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Gadg...ctor/390825458

Old 02-05-2021, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am planning on adding one to my car(s) as well.

Quote:
I feel like the more prudent move might be as fast as possible recovery, which is where the GPS could shine.
This is the heart of the issue as far as I am concerned. Knowing the car is being taken and being able to take some kind of action has to increase your chances of getting the car back. Saying - "Oh Well if they want it their going to get it" while true is not an excuse for not trying to secure your car when it is in public.