Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default what are these random pieces?

Hey there are two parts that make me curious. I assume one is a plugged vacuum line, and the other looked stupid having a piece of duct tape over it. These don't look like they belong, so if I could clarify what these are and what in the world I do with them that would be great.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to say without knowing where the other end is?

Possibly the distributor vacuum advance hose?
Automatic valve modulator hose?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trace them back to where they originate, that will help determine what they are or were.

I can't tell for sure on the first one, but it looks like the hose goes back to the frame and has a clamp on it. It might me the the remnants of the original fuel line from your 6 cylinder.

The second one (the metal tube with the duct tape on it) is your transmission dipstick tube. You'll want to get a dipstick for that.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Default Random pieces

The top picture looks like a vent line for the fuel tank possiably.Does the car have any emissions.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Trace them back to where they originate, that will help determine what they are or were.

I can't tell for sure on the first one, but it looks like the hose goes back to the frame and has a clamp on it. It might me the the remnants of the original fuel line from your 6 cylinder.

The second one (the metal tube with the duct tape on it) is your transmission dipstick tube. You'll want to get a dipstick for that.
yep, looks like the car was a 6 originally? 6 cars ran the fuel line down the right side of the frame. (also had the battery tray on that side of the car too, it was a mirror image of the left side battery tray). That rubber line will jump back to a metal line on the frame and probably end with another unconnected rubber hose at the back of the frame where someone put the line to the correct left side of the frame for a v8 OR verak is right in applying 70 emissions technology to this which had the charcoal can in the front right that ran a vapor return line back to the tank along that path therefore the possibility exists that someone did a frame transplant under a 69 and used a 70-72 frame and didn't bother tearing the lines out of the frame.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey that doesnt sound too bad. I was thinking it was something didn't work and a previous owner just plugged/duct taped them. Those are very easy/cheap sounding fixes and I like that . It was a 6 cyl back in the day so the plugged line makes sense

Old 12-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Adding a dipstick is easy. Removing and running the right fuel lines is a decent bit of effort. Curious to how the fuel lines are run to the V8 in there now if they didn't use the factory lines.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Adding a dipstick is easy. Removing and running the right fuel lines is a decent bit of effort. Curious to how the fuel lines are run to the V8 in there now if they didn't use the factory lines.
It runs from the tank, down the driver's side rail, through the frame and to the pump. I had a thread on a leaky fuel line, and the way it was described to me by the members was the way it was ran. So I guess they ran it like factory