Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-14-2024, 11:51 PM

Default 70GTO Seat Cover Install: Headreast Holes

The Legendary seat covers are going on. There aren't any markings for headrest holes and the instructional video doesn't show it. Any tips on not messing that up?

Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

old cover for a template

Old 01-15-2024, 03:59 PM

I install the 4 screws that secure the headrest latches. Screw them down flush. Install the seat cover and be sure they are where you want them. Once the covers are installed, push down with your finger and find the screw head. Make a very small cut over the screw head. Back the screws out a little bit. In the center between the 2 screws you can find the hole for the headrest. Make a small X cut, not very large. Remove the screws and install the headrest latches. The headrest will slide right in. Hope this helps you.. Same system I use for installing headliners.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFCOLEMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 04:56 PM

#1 make sure you remove and reinstall the head rest tubes THROUGH the bun before the cover goes on.
If the headrest tube is buried UNDER the bun, you are never going to find it after the covers on.

#2 Once the bun & Tubes are on, mark your FRAME centerline on the bun and use that for lining stuff up... If you misalign the cover during install its VERY obvious with the headrest being offcenter vs the covers main panel.

#3 When you are laying out the cover make sure the top welting bead falls 1/2" or so in front of the headrest guide stands. If you don't do that, the welt winds up too close or worse UNDER the headrest lock bezels!

#4 once the cover is on, the plastic of the headrest guide stands will be easy to see and feel through the cover, after the cover is 100% on and you are happy with it, then install the metal headrest lock plate- use an awl to poke the two holes for the screws to attach it to the frame (sides) Install the metal lock plate with those screws (they go down to the frame) then use an exacto knife and cut out the center hole using the metal of the guide as a guide... The two screws for the bezel only go into the lock plate, no need to punch holes for those.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-18-2024, 05:05 PM

This thread I created years back over on Chevelles.com has good pics of the whole bucket build recover process. The headrest stuff starts at post #34:

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/wo...4/post-9945018

Old 03-16-2024, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ever do the write-up for the rear seat?

Excellent reference on the fronts, saved the link.

It's about time I get back around to fixing my PUI complete front buckets, and do a better job on the rears. Wish there were a source for formed rear foam. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-17-2024, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a roll of foam at Walmart and it worked well and looks good.