WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Default GTO gearing, MPG, NVH, and other stuff, please help . . .

Hi,

Have read some posts to threads with keen interest. That said, I'm sure I missed threads/posts that would answer some of the questions, observations shown below.

This got a tad long, but please bear with me.

Looking at a 2006 GTO with less than 4,000 miles on the clock. Seller wants $22,000 for the car, it appears to be what seems to be a standard GTO. Has 400 hp LS2 engine, 6-speed transmission, eighteen inch wheels. Seller claims the GTO is all original, no engine mods, no dings, a straight up car. Claims he is firm on price.

Interestingly, have found GTO's priced in the high 20's, even close to MSRP! Some with higher mileage to boot. Have also found GTO's in the mid-teens, mileage between 10K to 25K. I tend to buy used cars with as low mileage as I can get, with options I want. Appears GTO's don't come with lengthy optional options list.

Anyhow, many of you guys in posts say GTO's are for sale everywhere. Would like links to some of those sites, if you have them, will appreciate that . . .

Some of my findings indicate that the GTO, is, well ... a gas hog, some 18 MPG. Not a huge deal per se, but surprises me. So what gives?

Do GTO's come with 3.90, 3.93, whatever gearing? For some reason have not been able to find GTO's gearing in 'Net searches. Higher gearing would help explain most, or good portion of the MPG.

Almost forgot, reason I'm looking at GTO's, is that they appear to be able to haul four people comfortably, i.e. a real back seat!

Also, what's your experience with noise, vibration, harshness, ride quality, and quietness at speed?

Thanking you in advance for your help . . .

Dak
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear gear on these cars is 3.46.

Most any RWD V8 is going to be a gas hog. You can squeak a little more MPG out of a 6 speed. I've had friends get almost 30mpg on freeway trips. My '04 is an automatic with a larger cam and a stall converter and I get about 16 around town and 23/24 on the freeway.

As far as ride quality, it's been a long time since mine was stock but I remember it being a pretty smooth car - too smooth for a lot of folks. I changed out my stock shocks, struts and springs early on to stiffen up the ride. The stock exhaust is pretty mellow too. Again, I dumped my stock exhaust for headers and a cat back.

If the car is untouched, take a look at the front struts and radius rod bushings. Some of the early '06 cars had leaky struts from the factory. The stock fluid filled radius rod bushings are usually the first to go on the front end. Most folks replace them with aftermarket urethane pieces.

With 18" wheels you should double check the wheel alignment and tire wear, but you probably don't have much to worry about in the way of strut rub. That's typically more of an issue with the 17" wheels.

Check out the LS1gto.com forums. There's usually a number of cars for sale there, most are well cared for by enthusiasts. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I can't really speak to price since I haven't been in the market, but a friend of mine in the business told me used car prices on the whole are up.
'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 2006 4A and I still have less than 4k after five years. I also own a 2004 with just over 30k. Neither will win any mpg comparisons but they are not bad for what they are. Problem is, you'll like the sound of the ls engines so much you'll rarely want to drive it economically. I found my cars to be quieter and better riding than Honda Accords, and many other family cars. I've had no issues AT ALL with either car in my over seven years of total ownership. Personally, I have enjoyed the '04 more so than the '06, but they ride great, accelerate phenominally, get reasonable mileage, are reasonably quiet, and hold together well.

I think most issues these cars faced were from improper assembly at the factory. I found that my '04 had sway bar links incorrectly installed or missing washers altogether. The factory tie rods are junk and wear quickly. Stories about having to replace springs I feel are unfounded as both by seven year old '04 still sits at exactly the same height as my five year old '06.

It's a great car with some concessions. Trying to reach anything in back or anywhere from the driver's seat can be challenging. Despite some design-induced headaches, I love these cars. The only non-original parts on my 30k '04 are the tires and the driver's side tie rod.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Thanks for the help ... more questions . . .

Verdoro 68 ,pont3,

Appreciate each of you for the response recieved.

Has anyone changed out the 3.43 gearing for a lower version, say, 3.26? I realise if so, the ratio may not be say, 3.26. 3.26 was used as way of reaching, finding out, a more highway friendly ratio. I will be using the GTO a good deal on interstates.

Some mention about wear & tear. I know that some guys beat %ell of their cars. And that some take care of them. That said, what is the overall "feel" for how well GTO's have stood up in general ?

As before, will appreciate help on the above . . .

Dak20
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 6-speed manual trans is really a double overdrive and the engine barely turns over on the interstate. In fact 6th gear isn't really usable under 55 MPH. So going to a lower ratio rear is not going to help.

I think 25 MPG on the highway is really good for a 400 HP car. My '06 does suck some gas around town though.

Bought my car new and it is up to 55K miles now. It still has original clutch and brake pads, with maybe 50/50 highway/city driving. Absolutely no problems with the suspension or drive train. In fact the only real repair has been the A/C compressor which went bad last year.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you hadn't found it yet, try LS1GTO.com. Unfortunately, most of the members here despise the new GTO and don't really know anything about them. Thus, the low response rate.

Anyway, I feel these cars hold up very, very well. My wife daily drove the '04 for three years until I bought her a CTS. I rotate it now with my '71 Lemans Sport. My cars are not abused or beat on, rarely heavy on the throttle. Nothing has broken and the a/c in the '04 still blows just as cold as when new. The engine purrs like new and has never needed oil added between changes. The transmission shifts as new. There are no leaks or abnormal noises. There are no rattles present. The windows operate as designed and the locks are intact. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Original brakes, rotors, shocks, springs, etc. Leather interior shows very minimal wear from the seatbelt rubbing against it. Car drives arrow straight and is very tight.

These comments apply to the '04 as my '06 doesn't have enough miles or exposure to have issues. I don't know of ANY 350-400 hp car that gets better mileage.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Default Found 2 low mile GTO's, choose miles, or dollars?

Hi again,

PontGuy, pont3,

Thanks for the replies. Really helps hearing form users

Located two 2006 GTO's, both my favorite color, Spice Red. One car is listed at $18K, the other at $22K. The first car has 10K miles, the latter 3K miles.

Both checked out fine had them taken to a GM Dealer's service bays for inspection. Carfaxed both, all check out.

Anyhow, would you trade miles for dollars? There is a 7K miles difference, the 3K car is $4K more.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 AM

Default Found 2 GTO's. Choose miles, or dollars? Sight unseen . . .

Hi again,

PontGuy, pont3,

Thanks for the replies. Really helps hearing from owners.

---------

Located two 2006 GTO's, both my favorite color. One car is listed at $19K, the other at $23K. The first car has 11K miles, the latter 4K miles.

Both checked out fine, excellent condition. Had them taken to GM Dealer's service bays for inspection. Carfaxed both, all check out.

Anyhow, would you trade miles for dollars? There is a 7K miles difference, the 4K car is $4K more.

I usually go for as low mileage as best I can. In this case both are really low miles. Thus, making the $4K difference a bit more significant.

Shipping will be about the same, since both cars are fairly far from me.

Another little item. I've bought cars from sellers, eBay motors, and the like. Without seeing the car in person. Usually, they are always 1,000 to 1,500, or more miles from me.

I assume some of you have bought cars sight unseen, or not. Curious about your thoughts about buying a car sight unseen.

Thanking you in advance, on both topics from above . . .

Dak20
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it was me I would save the $4K. You are taking a bit of a chance buying a car sight-unseen either way. Given such low milage in six years, how the car was stored is likely to make more of a difference at this point than how it was driven. Ask about the stitching at the top of the rear seats or get a picture of this area. If it looks perfect then you can be pretty sure the car has been kept in a garage the whole time- or at least the owner really cared and got it fixed.

I have driven mine as hard as I would any other "daily driver" and not afraid to use all 400 HP. I even took it out to the drag strip once and ran 1/2 doz passes just to see what I could get it to do. Its not been exactly babied but it has been dealer serviced and kept in my garage. Everything you are reading from the guys here applies. Its been a great, reliable car. Everything works perfectly, no rattles or aggravations, none of the exterior or interior trim is broken or worn. Except for the rear seat stitching the car looks almost new. Really good for a six year old driver.

As for LS1GTO.com, definitely a better online resource for the new GTOs, but I trust the guys on this site more than over there. For the most part the guys here own and love the old Pontiac classics and generally treat cars with more respect.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
If it was me I would save the $4K. You are taking a bit of a chance buying a car sight-unseen either way. Given such low milage in six years, how the car was stored is likely to make more of a difference at this point than how it was driven. Ask about the stitching at the top of the rear seats or get a picture of this area. If it looks perfect then you can be pretty sure the car has been kept in a garage the whole time- or at least the owner really cared and got it fixed.

I have driven mine as hard as I would any other "daily driver" and not afraid to use all 400 HP. I even took it out to the drag strip once and ran 1/2 doz passes just to see what I could get it to do. Its not been exactly babied but it has been dealer serviced and kept in my garage. Everything you are reading from the guys here applies. Its been a great, reliable car. Everything works perfectly, no rattles or aggravations, none of the exterior or interior trim is broken or worn. Except for the rear seat stitching the car looks almost new. Really good for a six year old driver.

As for LS1GTO.com, definitely a better online resource for the new GTOs, but I trust the guys on this site more than over there. For the most part the guys here own and love the old Pontiac classics and generally treat cars with more respect.
Totally concur, and I would definitely save the 4k and buy the lower priced car. Not enough difference in mileage to justify that much higher a price.

Personally, I would never buy a car sight unseen. Too many dishonest people out there.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Default Lucky?

Hi Pont3, PontGuy, et al . . .

Been lucky I guess as to cars unseen, have bought six this way. Over the years, three from eBay, three from personal sellers.

Interesting, miles versus dollars ... you are counter to my low miles preference. Seems either way should make out okay.

As before, appreciate the replies ... wish more guys like you would chim in!

Dak20
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask about the stitching at the top of the rear seats or get a picture of this area.

For sure-mine waited until I was out of warranty. Got a quote for $900 form one interior shop!
1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM

I have had my 04 since early 07. bought with around 26k on the clock, now with over 90k. been a real good and service free car for the most part. a couple stupid little things and that has been it. trim bubbling on the steering wheel and such. nothing to fret over. my car is stored inside during the winter but sits outside most of the time during the summer. my rear seat stiching is a little hard, but is holding in fine. i tinted my windows as soon as i got the car and use a good leather cleaner on the seats at least 3 times a month. i have the 17s, so strut rub is a slight issue, depending on what brand tire i run. my milage has been really good for a v8 sports car. 24-25 and even 30 on the interstate. expect the 6.0 to be slightly lower. i have the 6 sp as well. tranny has been great. plenty of gears to row thru. i still have the stock clutch in my car. brakes have been done all the way around once. my only quick wear problem, has been tires, but i think my right foot may have something to do with that. love my car. it has been stock other than a 3" catback. headers and go fast goodies are on order for a winter build up. i have not experienced any of the suspension issues that others have complained about. these cars can be found cheap if you wait, and keep looking for the car you want. gentleman i work with just picked up a 04 with 96k on the clock for less than 10k. good deals are out there. if it is a low milage 06 you are looking for, expect to pay more. there is a new, yes i said new 05 about 40 miles from me at a dealership. red with a4. last i knew, they still wanted 25k plus for the car. never titled with less than 25 miles. any questions, pm me and i will do what i can to answer.