Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2022, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default so how often do you have your torque wrenche(s) calibrated?

Did you know that the book says once a year if the wrench is used much at all? If you are working on aircraft engines FAA says it MUST be calibrated yearly and you'd better have the documentation to prove it. I just recently became aware of this stuff. My 1/2 and 3/8 inch Craftsman 9-44594 and 44595 twist torque wrenches are at least twenty five years old and I've never had them calibrated and I built a couple of engines with them several years after I bought them. I just got an estimate on having them calibrated from Transcat in Houston and it comes to $163.40 before shipping and taxes. For that price I can go buy brand new replacements at Lowes or ACE hardware.

I'm just wondering what you engine builders are doing?

Old 01-21-2022, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Snap-On Dealer has a tester on the truck. He can test them, but not do calibrations. If fit tests out of range, he can send them in. My 1/2" was 5 lbs off at 100 and right on at 150, so I didnt worry about it.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:11 PM
Boost Engineer

I received new Torque Wrenches as a Christmas Present a couple of years ago and had them checked against the Ford Engine Build-up wrenches.
They were very close.

I had the guys give the Torque Wrenches to the Snap-On rep and he sent them in for calibration checks (Certified).
Some time later I received the wrenches back with the calibration sheets. A Snap On "truck test" would be the first step.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the question then becomes (for me anyway): How often are the Snap-On truck testers calibrated?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 01-21-2022, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rule of thumb is if you are planning on using your torque wrenches regularly they need calibration at least twice a year unless you drop one; then, you don’t use it again until you have it recalibrated. As for the FAA, I have worked in five FAA certified repair stations. Our torque wrenches were calibrated every six months without question.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2022, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i don’t worry, i’m the charlie daniels of the torque wrench!

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'd like to get my snap-on 1/2" torque wrench checked, but the rep i spoke with had no way (that I can recall) to check it, and it was REALLY expensive to send it away for calibration.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I never calibrate my beam-type- other than when it was new. If the beam ever gets damaged, over-torqued, heated, or corroded I'll trash it. Barring such beam damage, its accuracy ain't gonna change.
My click-stop wrench- that's another story. I wouldn't trust it if it was calibrated yesterday. I only use it for ballpark torque, if it's a spot that doesn't allow reading a beam wrench- rod caps while engine's in machine, in unpaved pits in the dark of night in the rain....

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 01-22-2022 at 02:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 02:21 AM
Senior Chief

Accuracy is important but isn’t it more important for the bolts of (for example) the main caps to be all uniform with each other than exactly at spec? So if spec is 95 pounds and your wrench says 95 but all of your bolts are even at what is actually 89 lbs you should be okay, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-22-2022, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I calibrated my click type wrenches myself. They are easily adjustable, usually with a socket head screw inside the handle.

Easy enough to make a test rig ... I use a 2' lever and a 50 lb weight, simple math. Also check them with a load cell type torque indicator. Pretty easy to get them within their stated accuracy range. Course this is for my own benefit ... we don't need no stinkin certificates

But I guess if you typically require enough accuracy to warrant building your own test rig .. you probably should be having them professionally calibrated .. I just did it to see if it could be done.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to send my two wrenches to Transcat in Houston and have them calibrated. After twenty five years or more they deserve it I think., and I will feel better.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Half-Inch and 3/8 TQ Beams were never recalibrated.

Did some Bolt TQs with the 1/2" beam, then switched to the Digital 1/2" and rather enjoyed the indications when TQ was reached.

The Digital Half-Inch and 3/8 TQ Snap-On Wrenches took a little to familiarize, then became my go-to.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:00 AM

After using the tq wrench remember to dial it back to zero or less.
FedEx a/c maint. has its own calibration dept. for wrenches, gauges, etc.
Mandatory once a year & a decal is applied, FAA compliant.

The Following User Says Thank You to highway star For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 12:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Craftsman click type torque wrench that is 25+ years old that I have kept in perfect condition (never abused). I have never had it calibrated but I only use it for suspension work like ball joints, tie rods and control arm bolts. For engine assembly I have 2 Warren and Brown deflecting beam torque wrenches, one 3/8 and the other 1/2 drive. They are made in Australia and due to their unique design are considered to be the most accurate torque wrenches. According to the manufacturer they never need to be calibrated as long as they are treated properly. I have assembled several engines with these wrenches and have never had a problem

Old 01-22-2022, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Did you know that the book says once a year if the wrench is used much at all? If you are working on aircraft engines FAA says it MUST be calibrated yearly and you'd better have the documentation to prove it. I just recently became aware of this stuff. My 1/2 and 3/8 inch Craftsman 9-44594 and 44595 twist torque wrenches are at least twenty five years old and I've never had them calibrated and I built a couple of engines with them several years after I bought them. I just got an estimate on having them calibrated from Transcat in Houston and it comes to $163.40 before shipping and taxes. For that price I can go buy brand new replacements at Lowes or ACE hardware.

I'm just wondering what you engine builders are doing?
I would trust those USA made Craftsman over the chicom stuff they sell now-a-days. We have loaner Torque wrenches at my work and they are just crap, even the ones we sell are cheap junk.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-22-2022, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I would trust those USA made Craftsman over the chicom stuff they sell now-a-days. We have loaner Torque wrenches at my work and they are just crap, even the ones we sell are cheap junk.
Me too which is one reason I'm having these calibrated. I could buy two brand new craftsman equivalent wrenches for less than it will cost me to have these done but who is to say they will be as good as these will be when I get them back?

Old 01-22-2022, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default So how often do you have

I asked a similar question not long ago. Advice was to have recalibrated by Snap On dealer. Checked with a friend who has a Snap On rep call on his shop weekly. He said the Snap On rep told him no way he could provide this service(of course he would be happy to sell me one of his new high dollar wrenches) Still searching for somebody to recalibrate my Craftsman.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the government it’s generally about twice a year.

Some of them are 3 times some of them are 1. I’m honestly not sure how the schedule is determined. I assume it’s recommendations from the OEM of the tool itself.

As was mentioned earlier, if you drop it you have to take it out of service.

Also they need to be stored at their lowest torque setting which most hobbyists probably don’t do. The calibration team stresses that. They say long term they see more wrenches damaged from improper storage than anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-23-2022, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.teamtorque.com/torque-wrenches
Quote:
Click Style:
The actual "Click" from a wrench is considered a "Cycle" of that wrench. Most manufacturers recommend click-style torque wrench calibration after 5000-to-7000 cycles.
For most customers, this means you should calibrate and test torque wrenches every 12 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
i'd like to get my snap-on 1/2" torque wrench checked, but the rep i spoke with had no way (that I can recall) to check it, and it was REALLY expensive to send it away for calibration.
$50 plus shipping for a click-type torque wrench 250 ft/lbs or lower.
https://www.teamtorque.com/service-repairs
Price list:
https://d3ciwvs59ifrt8.cloudfront.ne...4ed75704e4.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Also they need to be stored at their lowest torque setting which most hobbyists probably don’t do. The calibration team stresses that..
Entirely depends on the design of the torque wrench.

The "split-beam" style wrench can be stored with the torque set at any position. In general, "micrometer-adjusting" torque wrenches need to be returned to their lowest indicated torque (not to "zero".)

Old 01-23-2022, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
I asked a similar question not long ago. Advice was to have recalibrated by Snap On dealer. Checked with a friend who has a Snap On rep call on his shop weekly. He said the Snap On rep told him no way he could provide this service(of course he would be happy to sell me one of his new high dollar wrenches) Still searching for somebody to recalibrate my Craftsman.
I'm sending both my 3/8" and 1/2" craftsmans to Transcat in Houston and their number is 800-828-1470. They have labs all over the country.