THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They spent some time and engineering on that modified Camaro. Granted, it's not a Pontiac in any engine, shape or form, but it would be a blast to own and drive. They didn't build it to offend us older folks. It's been many years since Pontiac existed and even longer since a true SD-455 resided in any production Pontiac.

It's great to know that 40 years from now, no one will be building a similarly equipped Prius, Accent or Veloster.

Technology is great these days. A street car that can make in excess of 500 HP, equipped with A/C and can roll down it's windows while you gas up at any fuel stop is pretty neat.

Would I like to have my very own real SD car? YES! Would I like to own just about any Pontiac muscle car? YES! They are getting as pricey as this interpretation of a Trans Am.

I'd say, don't knock it. Sure I'd rather have my 1978 T/A back again with the T/A 400 and WS-6 package in Martinique Blue. (It's gone with the ex.) Maybe some day I'll have the $$$ to find one like it again. Meanwhile, I'll lust after this modern day "Trans Am" or a Hellcat or a ZR-1.

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-24-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Nice car, no doubt.
If I dropped an LS under the hood of my F150 or my wife's Highlander, put a bird on the hood, I could call them a Trans Am?
what he said. I'll pass.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From a previous thread:

SD Trans Am

Myself, I'd buy a few 'real' SD Trans Am's (and a SD Formula)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
From a previous thread:

SD Trans Am

Myself, I'd buy a few 'real' SD Trans Am's (and a SD Formula)

Interesting how the sentiments in that thread seem to be much more negative than this one. I wonder if a burnout video and some tire smoke was enough to change people's minds?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Sure I'd rather have my 1978 T/A back again with the T/A 400 and WS-6 package in Martinique Blue. (It's gone with the ex.) Maybe some day I'll have the $$$ to find one like it again. Meanwhile, I'll lust after this modern day "Trans Am" or a Hellcat or a ZR-1.
You could have one HELL of a nice '78 Trans Am for the price of this car, and still have a lot of money left over. If you can afford the new one, you can most definitely afford an old one.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seeing there's no Pontiac production from GM, that means no "real" new era Pontiac engines. I can understand using a Chevy block, but as they said everything inside it is NASCAR. There's your super SD.

And as for the bodies, IF Pontiac was still around they'd use the same body as what Chevy uses for the Camaro. These guys and others strip the Camaro body right down to the shell and add what they want that would be as close to Pontiac parts as they can be made. I just wonder where they have the post 2009 Firebird parts made. Or have they found a hidden stash of real 3rd Gen Pontiac Firebird/TA parts somewhere that they share.

And why don't they make any Formulas to go with the TAs? Personally I like the Formula over the TA. That's just me as I once had a new 79 Formula, and I loved the looks of it. Just about everyone back then had to have a TA. Those of us with the Formulas had something just a tad more special depending on what options were desired. Plus, not as many were made compared to the TA. Right this day I sell my GTO for another 79 Formula, or an earlier one with RAM Air.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love to see if it could actually keep up with a factory-engineered ZL1 1LE on a real race track.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The new muscle is more technical, more HP, more OD top end, more corner carving than vintage (stock). And they are great cars, the new GM, Ford, MOPAR all have extreme top end models that are wild. I would love one if rich. Still no reason I am supposed to like a version that calls itself a vintage hi-po name in powerplant and model name both. Has throwback style mods. Why as a vintage Poncho fan am I supposed to embrace it? It is poor style design, add on lookish, and gimmicky. I'd buy a Vette or a high end Z if I was rich, not some weird conglam thing hawking on yesterday. Other than that I like it

Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love performance, I prefer Pontiac performance but I don't care what badges are on it I would beat the living hell out of that car!!!! Along with everything else...demon, ZL-1, hellcat, GT-40, lambo, ferrari, except Porsche. For some reason I hate Porsche.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd rather have my "real" SD

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's talk of this model being marketed through the Buick brand, IF GM were to adopt the idea. For now, it appears it will be offered through a 3rd party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix1BHeBYHUI

It was created as a compliment to the SD Trans Am, not to offend purists. And you can't argue, the tech and performance is over the top, far exceeding the Camaro offerings, and challenging ANY new production car.

Price? Hints of it being in the 'Z06 range'. There's one problem GM has never overcome. Out staging the vette. Only way that can happen is if it remains a 3rd party creation.

Do I personally like it? What's not to like? With that performance, and styling queues that drew me to Pontiac to begin with, heck yeah I like it. I prefer the lucy one over the bandit one though.

Be interesting to see where this goes....

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take that '70 Formula that's in the garage next to the white TA. y'all can have your hood birds.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buick (today) = Martha, let's buy a reliable 4 door Buick to go to the Senior Center in.

So the math is:

Buick + Trans Am = Going to the Senior Center with elderly Burt.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well executed.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
There's talk of this model being marketed through the Buick brand, IF GM were to adopt the idea. For now, it appears it will be offered through a 3rd party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix1BHeBYHUI

I suspect that's a pipe dream from the mind of whoever has the Oldcarmemories Youtube channel...as far as I know, GM has no plans of selling any sort of Trans Am conversion of a Camaro.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, GM never did sell any Trans Am conversion of a Camaro. Not even back in the beginning. The only thing in common was the bare bones bodies. Tho both were built side by each on the same assembly line. I don't ever see where GM would bring the Trans Am back let alone the Pontiac brand.

Every Pontiac lover in the country should have raised a ruckus directly to GM when we first heard of them shutting down Pontiac. That might have opened their eyes.... maybe.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe because of my age, but this car, as cool as it may be is a "kit" car. When I hear the word "kit" car, an image of a Bradley GT automatically pops in my brain. I can just see these cars, assuming they build and sell 50 of them, being worth less than the Camaro they started life as. With no direct factory support from GM and a tiny independent company producing it, what a gamble it would be to buy one if any investment recovery was part of the equation. That being said, If I won the lottery, I might buy one and not give a damn about any of the above.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Stuart, GM never did sell any Trans Am conversion of a Camaro. Not even back in the beginning. The only thing in common was the bare bones bodies. Tho both were built side by each on the same assembly line. I don't ever see where GM would bring the Trans Am back let alone the Pontiac brand.

Every Pontiac lover in the country should have raised a ruckus directly to GM when we first heard of them shutting down Pontiac. That might have opened their eyes.... maybe.
If they were building anything worth raising a ruckus about when they kicked the bucket, I'd have been raising said ruckus. GM had only just ressurected the Camaro nameplate, and to my recollection there was no talk of any potential Firebird/Trans Am. At the time of Pontiac's demise, driving excitement had long since been a thing of the past. I was sad to see a once great nameplate disappear, but I'd rather see it become a thing of the past than continue to produce mostly awful cars. If you ask me, knowing what I know now about their history in the last few decades, I'd have preferred they killed the brand in the late '70s, and let it die a reasonably dignified death that would have resulted in it today being the stuff of legends. But instead, it persisted on life support for so long that I and many others couldn't even wait by its bedside for it to finally die any longer. The newest Pontiac I've ever owned was made in '74 and the oldest I likely ever would own would be a late '70s 'Bird, so Pontiac's continued existence after that has been largely irrelevant to me.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Stuart, GM never did sell any Trans Am conversion of a Camaro. Not even back in the beginning.
I know that - my point was, the video in the link above inferred GM was thinking about doing it now, but anyone can post stuff online without having to prove it's official news.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The Buick name will be gone from all Buick vehicles the end of next year. Then GMC and Buick will be gone too.
Huh?