THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I score them with a carbide scribe ... hold them over/in the big garbage barrel, turn away, tap them with a ball peen hammer until they explode ... then break into small pieces with the hammer.

I know ... I'm a bad man.
We used to just bash them on the inside of the metal garbage can 'til they broke.

In college one of the guys I lived with in the dorms fashioned a set of wings & fins for one out of cardboard, taped them to the tube and sailed it off our third floor balcony which was at the edge of a hill. The damn thing flew out then dropped out of sight. Never did find out what happened to it.

Thing is, they have mercury in them. You're poisoning the area around which you break them (and possibly yourself) by a small amount each time you break one, and mercury accumulates/doesn't dissipate. That's why recycling them is a good idea.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The upper picture I was making something. Exhaust crossover cover plates from aluminum, I believe. That's been a while. It's labeled 2009 but I believe it's older than that. My dad made the rocking chair about 30 years ago. It's one of my favorite things in the world.
#2 is a q-jet explosion down to the the idle tubes. Labeled 2009. The "for sale" sign came out of the passengers door. I found it when I put new seals/sweeps/rubber around the car in the early 2000's.
#3 swapping alternators and eating wedding cookies. About 5 pegboard rows above the boom box radio is a piece of tape labeled "idle tube screw". Right above that tape is the screw. It has the sharp part of the end ground off so it won't drive the tube out of the collar. I take idle tubes out with it.
#4 during the Turbo 400 to TKO600 swap. That ordeal lasted months and went through a lot of phases. There were many waves of messing up then cleaning up along the way. 4-5 years ago. The Rochester cabinet has.......carb parts in it. I got the cabinet cheap (at some time after the top picture) and it's been handy.
#5 I was taking the 400 out here. A 455 was around there somewhere. 3 years ago?

The yardstick is very handy. Gorilla glue holds it. Tool box drawers are neatly laid out. Sockets on racks and separated metric/standard. Wrenches broken out by line-metric/standard-ratchet. The screwdriver drawer is a mess, but it's just the leftovers and oddballs. The ones I use regularly are in holders above the workbench. If it makes sense to hang a tool up, I hang it up.

When I do something big....take an engine apart etc, I set up saw horses (covered with a piece of 3/4" plywood) in front of the car to handle the big stuff or keep things spread out and/or better organized. The horses show up in a couple of the pictures. When I take the GTO's engine out the wife's Highlander has to stay outside. Not good.......

The LED lights are amazing. No buzz and a crisp white light. (4000k) Normally my bench is pretty clean and clear. 75% of the surface area clear?

My side of the basement has a LOT of stuff in it, including a set of new tires for my truck, 2 complete engines, a set of heads and a turbo 400. Actually, all of that stuff is in the picture below. If I ever have to move.....

David, where did you purchase your LEDs? I need to replace all the fluroescent unit in the garage in IN (12' ceilings)?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not overly impressive, but it's the first one I've had in the garage in 7 years now...

I had just gotten it a few weeks ago when the photo was taken, I've already rebuilt several things on it and it's greasy already.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of belt sander is that? Looks like some type of belt attachment for a grinder?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It ain't much, but it's home. Usually it's hidden behind all these bikes and laundry and the top is covered with projects in various states but I cleaned it up for you guys. Saw someone else earlier in the thread saw fit to attach their GTO emblem to their toolbox too.

It's seen some action over the years. Too many projects to count - both home and car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	425100   Click image for larger version

Name:	surface.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	425102  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
David, where did you purchase your LEDs? I need to replace all the fluroescent unit in the garage in IN (12' ceilings)?
Link on post 44. Home Depot. The link below is where I figured out what I wanted.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...&highlight=Led

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
What kind of belt sander is that?
It's a General 15-232 - Link. They make great stuff, made in Canada and distributed down the road from me.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are photos of the North wall ... some of the tools and machines ... not showing the benders, welders, blasting cabinets, compressor etc.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bench-1.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	425147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench-2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	425148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench-3.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	425149  

Old 04-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Here's mine which I built myself. My hobby was furniture and cabinet making before I fell in love with cars. The top is made from two 8' tall X 1-3/4" thick solid fire rated commercial doors wrapped in stainless. It's a little bit junkier now, and I added a 10' metal work table sort of like an island.

WOW!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see where some of you guys can loose a wrench and never find it.

I realized I will never be in the ball bearing action shop drawer crowd

I like the really cool shop shots with the washing machine peeking in the corner

Some of you guys need bigger buildings.

Some of you guys look like you do serious work.

Some like me look like you play TiddlyWinks on your bench.

If I feel kinda tiny now, the original poster of this thread must feel really happy

Bob, I sent your pics to a graphics expert with high grade zoom capability, and in front of the black car, 2 feet laterally from the R wheel, is indeed a very small bit of dirt, or I hope not, possibly grease on the floor.

Some of you guys must be divorced or have wives that hate you.

OK, just passing thoughts...... great benches. I vote OP's the best

Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE
If I feel kinda tiny now, the original poster of this thread must feel really happy [/QUOTE]

Nice to see my little bench could bring out the big hitters. Lol
I am one of the guy's were our garages are not just for the cars. It's a work shop for anything around the house as well. And storage for the rest of my hobbies like camping. Once again nice looking garages guy's. Keep them coming.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After seeing Bob spic and span shop, not sure if mine is up to par, LOL. did some reno's to the kitchen a few years back, so the cupboards got recycled into the shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	425246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	425247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	425248  

Old 04-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, my place is pretty messy ... it's my GTO shop, my welding shop, my fabrication shop, my home repair shop, my tractor/equipment shop, sometimes a woodshop and it gets 20 degrees below zero here in the winter so it has to be pretty cozy. Everything is on wheels ...even the 3,000 lbs milling machine.

Sure do miss living down south and having people over on warm summer nights having a few beers and BS about cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

One thing I want to do is metal topped work benches. I visited an old friend who'd covered his work benches with steel plate and man was that nice.
I did this at my previous house; it was nice, especially for detail assembly of small parts (carbs and auto trans).

I had a piece of stainless that set on top of the wood surface. Then you could also drill holes in the wood top, like to allow the input our output shaft to stick through while you assemble a clutch pack, and then cover the hole back up with the metal top when done.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I did this at my previous house; it was nice, especially for detail assembly of small parts (carbs and auto trans).

I had a piece of stainless that set on top of the wood surface. Then you could also drill holes in the wood top, like to allow the input our output shaft to stick through while you assemble a clutch pack, and then cover the hole back up with the metal top when done.

K

I have a pair of holes drilled in mine for bolting down cylinder heads.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Saw someone else earlier in the thread saw fit to attach their GTO emblem to their toolbox too.
You should see the toolboxes in a GM assembly plant: covered with so many emblems you can't tell what color the box was...

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
You should see the toolboxes in a GM assembly plant: covered with so many emblems you can't tell what color the box was...

K

469, M21, 3.42

Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
C'mon - you can't take unauthorized pictures inside a GM plant....

Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm authorizing!!! LOL

469, M21, 3.42

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the compliments and friendly nudges. Here is a link to the freestanding worktable island I bought. It's 6.5' long and a little more than 2' wide, has 3 drawers, and weighs a little over 200 lbs. It's not heavy enough to use anvil style, but is still pretty substantial. It is great to have a space dedicated just to working on things, and which is big enough to hold something as large as an axle. The drawers are cheap, but it's still additional drawer space.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/3-Drawer-Work-Bench