Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Tom my Warrior/Nash top says TR Top S-K ENG"
Some say that SK Engineering (in Romulus, Mi) actually owned the patterns for the Doug Nash/Warrior Intake(s) and cast up the manifolds 4-bbl and T/R) for the Hunt Brothers.

Having been to the Hunt Brother's (very small) sales business many times, I can tell you that THEY did not cast up or machine the Warrior intakes.

My guess is that this company did the manifolds for SK Engineering who sold the intakes to The Hunt bros. under the Warrior name.

Tooling Equipment International (TEI), Livonia, Mich.

"It's a perfect scenario when you can get the end-user, Tier 1 foundry and tooling guys together in all phases of a project," said Oliver Johnson, TEI's business development director.

TEI uses its in-house casting facility to bridge the gap between casting supplier and OEM. The company can prove out tooling or producelow volume, prototype castings as its automotive customers test designs with the potential for full, high-volume production.

(They also cast up the Intake Manifolds for the "V-10 Hydrogen Fueled Airport Bus" engines we built for a Engineering program at Ford.)

So your Intake is the real deal with the S-K ENG Top on it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
Its easy, take a BBC Ram Jet intake, cut off the bottom, then take a Victor Jr. and cut off the top. Then just weld them together.
$$$$$
I hate welding dirty cast aluminum. Would just fabricate sheet metal at that point.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Boost Engineer

I was lucky, the Warrior TR Lower I used was not fully machined and never saw any run time prior to the Mods.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I like the "theme" that relates to the various "names" that are meaningful to you. Nice work Tom!

I've also got one of the S-K tunnel rams. Used it mostly under my Hilborn 4-port when I'd run with the unblown alky pulling clubs. Did some winning with it. In the photo of Steve Barcak taking a "test drive", it's on an aluminum-rod 400 shortblock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve_on_tractor.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	415036  

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 12-07-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Boost Engineer

Looked very nice there Jack.

Remember when Gale Banks and Bruce Geisler were trying out their first Inter-cooler set-up under Geisler's "Hanky Panky" 53 Studebaker the last year I was at Bonneville.

Your plenum box above the Nash TR plenum reminds me of that deal.

Tom V.

Bruce Geisler had about 100 Bonneville records over the years.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Boost Engineer

I weighed the Warrior Intake, modified lower Holley plenum (with velocity stacks), Upper Plenum Lid (with Throttle Body attached), and the weight is about 40 pounds.
Some dense aluminum in those parts apparently.

Put it on my mock-up engine and the rear of the manifold hits the MSD distributor cap.
I was going to use a Cam Sync sensor in the back of the engine to drive the Luhn oil pump so no big deal there. I am planning on using "C_N_P" (coil near plug) ignition parts mounted on the valve covers so I thing I am still good to go.

In the spring I will install the intake on the engine in the 64 GTO and check for hood clearance but should be fine there from rough measurements.

Tom V.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried to drop an HEI in on a motor I put the TR on and not sure it would really go.

And when I put it in the flowbench it was so heavy it really needed clamping down the head! It is a heavy thing.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
In the spring I will install the intake on the engine in the 64 GTO and check for hood clearance but should be fine there from rough measurements.

Tom V.
That's amazing, Tom. I never would have thought it would even come close to clearing. Somebody ought to manufacture that thing. Send it to Holley or Edelbrock.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for sharing! Nice job..

Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet there's a market for that intake Tom, might be worth looking into.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I bet there's a market for that intake Tom, might be worth looking into.

This intake is what the turbo/centri-blown guys would die for! Hell with the right runners it'd be great for N/A applications too.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog View Post
That's amazing, Tom. I never would have thought it would even come close to clearing. Somebody ought to manufacture that thing. Send it to Holley or Edelbrock.
It comes close/ or "fits" because I basically removed the intake plenum from the Warrior intake, (5.5") the carbs from the intake, (5.5") the air cleaners (3") About 14" total from the upper manifold surface of the intake and replaced it with the Modded EFI stuff.

From the Distributor Mount Base on the block to the top rear surface of the intake plenum lid is only 12.5" so I see no real issues in it fitting at all as the distributor mount pad is SEVERAL inches below the normal Tunnel Ram Plenum mounting surface.

One other thing is the 64 GTO has a slightly raised center section which I can imagine I would need for clearance.

Tom V.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while Tom.