The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Any recommended East Bay, CA body shops?

Would like to find someone reputable in my "neck of the woods" for a repaint.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bobsgt-37
Default Need East Bay, CA Body Shop 2

I too am in the East Bay, CA. Hayward area, I need to find a good body shop to do a toatal roof replacement on my 1970 GT-37, it had a vinyl top and is in bad shape (top only) the rest of the car is in real good shape with original paint and stripes still on it, It has a few dings here and there one dent in the passenger door the size of a silver dollar, So all in all not bad for a 38 yr old car, Its an all original numbers matching car, I found a place to get a compplete donor roof but am at odds weather to try and do it my self I have worked on A Body cars since I was 16 and that was back in the late 70's but I have mainly been nuts and bolts I am a industrial mechanic by trade but I am un-sure bout body work! I am gonna put a vinyl top back on it tho as to me it dont look rite without it just my opinion tho, if anyone knows a good body shop please step in and let us all know.
thanks a bunch.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	utah lemans.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	143296   Click image for larger version

Name:	utah lemans 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	143297  

Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I forgot to mention that I just bought this car fron the original owner he bought it new in 1970 at a dealer in Kansas then retired a few years later and moved to Utah so thats where I bought the car,It had all the documintation IE: service records and such and has 72K on the clock, It is going to be a project car I am looking to restore it nicely but change the green interior to black and the exterior color from green to red with a black vinyl top and of course put the GT-37 stripes back on it all the stripes really are is 1969 GTO judge stripes, I just got the PHS report back on the car and it confirms the fact that its an original GT-37.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had VacaValley Auto Body do some work on my '04 after my wreck. He's done a lot of old cars and did the paint work on my buddy's '68 before he wrecked it. It's now back in his shop getting a frame off. Needed a new frame and an entire new front clip. The shop is a little out of the way from Fremont, but Chris does good work. He's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.vacavalleyautobody.com

My friend's '68 (the first time):

Here's the stripes he did on my '04:

Pic of the damage:

He ended up replacing the core support. You'd never know it if I didn't tell you. I need to take my car back to get the hood and trunk re-compounded because of some polishing marks,but over all I'm happy with the job done.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)

Last edited by Verdoro 68; 09-18-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM

thanks for the input Verdoro68,Ouch sorry to hear bout the red goat same thing happend to my Dodge 3500 dually except in the side I had a good body shop in the redwood city area but they closed shop hard times i guess, Its good as new now you cant tell I have looked it over nine ways to sunday.
thats a nice 68 goat as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. One day I'll get the scratch together to get my body work on my '68 done. I wouldn't hesitate to have Chris work on it. The engine has been on a stand for the last year so getting it rolling takes priority.

When I picked up my car from his shop he had a gorgeous '30's Caddy sitting outside. The thing was flawless. He did the paint work on another friend of mine's '67 Chevelle. I haven't seen it in person, but my friend is really happy with the work. It's a deep black cherry color so I'm sure it's super straight.

Lots of shops seem to have been closing lately. There was a good one here in Concord off Bates that my buddy had some work done at. They literally disappeared overnight after being in business 10+ years. Luckily he got his car back just in time

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM

I will have to give the guy a call and see what he has to say, Its pretty straight forward a roof replacement on an a body car, I will strip off the headliner and the sail panels along with the front and back glass and what ever else will be in the way, I have other body work that I want to do to it but I want to get the roof and the rear filler panel replaced then bring it back home and do the suspension and drive train then back to the body shop for the rest, I just cant stand looking at the roof like it is, I had a 1970 GTO non Judge back in a small town outside of Detroit were I grew up I had a place called eleven mile collision do it up back in the early 80's replace one quarter panel as a stupid kid i wrecked it showing off the rest was neer perfect they did it all quarter panel body and paint cost me a little under 4k I would haight to think what it would cost now, I wonder if anyone has delt with Miracle auto painting and repair plus theres maco I wouldnt touch earl shieb though I have seen there work they paint over dirt and what ever else is in the way of the spray gun.

Good luck with the 68 its almost the same color as my 70 was it was pepper green with dark green interior your's is a shade or two lighter but it shure looks nice.
Bob

Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM

This is good information to have! Thanks.

Fred

1968 convertible, 350hp auto, 2.93, pb/ac, pw, am/fm, discs, tilt, guages, etc