THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ouch...that wheel well looks horrible IMHO.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-31-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is it you want to know about it? I remember the car, I walked past it, saw the rough body work on the quarters that looked full of bondo, First thing that popped in my head was that it needs quarters right off the bat, and being a painter I just kept walking and didn't give the car any more attention.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-31-2022, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was shocked at the price of that 70 GTO. I can see why a painter wouldn’t waste time looking at it.

My question is there any way to justify a 30k price on a car that needs so much?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing it was a base model GTO and not something like a RAIV? Or even a ram air III? I didn't pay attention to whether it had a PHS with it that explained what it was born originally.

I've seen rollers with no drivetrain go for that much here in Arizona but they are typically a special car or something pretty desirable to start with.

This day and age it does seem more difficult to get into a project at a reasonable price, even when they need a complete restoration.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yeah these prices do make ya think maybe it's time but I honestly have no interest in letting anything go. Although it has made me pause and think that maybe we shouldn't be using the 69 Z as a driver anymore, lol.
If you dont drive them, you may as well sell! If my 79 were finished I may be tempted to let one of them go, but at these prices I know I will never be able to afford another 77. Then again, my thought has always been to strike when the iron is hot. Sell now while they are getting stupid money. In a couple of years when the bottom falls out get another for half price!

Old 02-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drive them and driver has 2 different meanings for me.

We have cars that we drive, on weekends, and enjoy them for pleasure when time permits.

The drivers are our daily cars, meaning they are our transportation to and from that we depend on for everything, and the Z is one of those. However the current prices has me thinking it might be wiser to stop using it for that. I would still drive it, but a pleasure vehicle used sparingly. Not interested in selling it. Pretty sure I'm one of the few on this forum that drives a classic car daily.

If I were smart I'd build a clone and use a base model car as a driver but it seems even that stuff is priced into the stratosphere.

I've been hearing of the bottom falling out for decades, or people referring to it as a bubble. This craze started in the 80's and prices have been climbing since, even during times of poor economy. I'm still waiting for that bubble to pop.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone see the 78 Marty Blue Trans Am with Rally ll wheels that sold for $54,000 ?
I was curious about the options it had, or the lack of.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-01-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
Did anyone see the 78 Marty Blue Trans Am with Rally ll wheels that sold for $54,000 ?
I was curious about the options it had, or the lack of.

Dang I missed that, I’m looking for one but I want white interior, black dash, console, carpet, and seatbelts, and automatic, That price explains one a guy just put his up for sale for $48,000 firm. Must have seen the one on Barrett.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 02-01-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Drive them and driver has 2 different meanings for me.

We have cars that we drive, on weekends, and enjoy them for pleasure when time permits.

The drivers are our daily cars, meaning they are our transportation to and from that we depend on for everything, and the Z is one of those. However the current prices has me thinking it might be wiser to stop using it for that. I would still drive it, but a pleasure vehicle used sparingly. Not interested in selling it. Pretty sure I'm one of the few on this forum that drives a classic car daily.

If I were smart I'd build a clone and use a base model car as a driver but it seems even that stuff is priced into the stratosphere.

I've been hearing of the bottom falling out for decades, or people referring to it as a bubble. This craze started in the 80's and prices have been climbing since, even during times of poor economy. I'm still waiting for that bubble to pop.
I hear ya. Yes, my car is a nice weather, weekend cruiser only. I work construction so it would be hard to use a classic car as an everyday vehicle. No room for tools and material.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I drive my 74 Grandville daily. Just got it inspected for 38 bucks. Does that count?

Old 02-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anything old is okay in my book

Old 02-02-2022, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve seen some of those Pontiacs roll across the Barrett Jackson stage and since I already have my ‘69 in my garage, it’s good to see prices coming back up from what seemed like a low back around 2010-2015. However I have been shopping for a new pickup and obviously prices are very high on new cars as well. The trucks I’m looking at are in the $55k to almost $70k range, and I can’t help but think that I’d really rather be spending that kind of money at Barrett Jackson on something truly cool instead of just an average pickup truck. Ah well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2022, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I really can't stand the auctioneer babbling on any of those.....what the hell is the purpose of the babbling???????

The Bonham-type of auction like on Chasing Classic Cars makes a lot more sense to me...............

george
I think that the fast babbling is to hurry along the bidders to think that the car is off the auction block and almost slipping through their fingers.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's an auction, that's been going on at all types of auctions since before we were born, lol

Old 02-02-2022, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://youtu.be/42j9-eF_q7E

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild