Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-11-2024, 09:09 PM

Question Cam Retainer plate and timing set

Hello all in the process of putting my 400 together I’ve got a hyd roller cam and wondering what y’all are using for a retaining plate and timing set im used to timing sets with a Torrington bearing and a thrust button “Chevy” my cloyes double roller set does not have the bearing just concerned about wear on the retaining plate street car application.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just the plate for many years . Make sure you have a bit of camshaft end play when done and Since you sound new to Pontiac take care on the fuel pump eccentric to get that right its not hard to do right and its not hard to do wrong..

And welcome to the tribe..

Last edited by Formulas; 02-11-2024 at 09:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 09:42 PM

Thanks I did find out that you can get eccentric out of whack if you don’t get it back over the cam snout correct.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of folks like good old Cloyes sets and stock retainer. I believe the Rollmasters come with a bronze bushing to use against the stock plate. If you want to get really fancy, you can get a Sims-modified Rollmaster that uses torrington bearings with a custom retainer plate. BOP Engineering sells them.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=840583

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
wondering what y’all are using for a retaining plate and timing set im used to timing sets with a Torrington bearing and a thrust button “Chevy” my cloyes double roller set does not have the bearing just concerned about wear on the retaining plate street car application.
1. The thrust plate is hardened. The iron or aluminum cam gear isn't going to wear it. Pontiac--and others--built millions of engines without roller thrust bearings on the cam gear, and the only ones that ever had problems were the ones where the iron gear wore into the iron block; perhaps due to excessive oil pump loading (High-pressure, cold oil, high-volume pump) via the helical gears on the distributor/camshaft.

2. Needle-roller cam-gear thrust bearings produce a bunch of shrapnel when/if they come apart. I don't want them anywhere near my engine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nitemare Performance sells a very nice thrust plate. I have never found a need for anything more exotic up front. If you like, The SIMS torrington bearing set-up is available, but not needed IMO. It uses a Rollmaster timing set which is inferior to the Cloyes Billet sets IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rollermaster now sell Red Series sets with German made IWIS chains. Even their short sets. You can also get their Gold Series chain sets that have nitrided sprockets and the Iwis chains..
Cloyes only uses their "Z" series chain on std sets. Fine timing chain sets but if you need a short chain the Rollermaster is at least as good, maybe better.
That Nightmare Performance set for 150$ with bronze washer would be a very nice set if it was Gold Series with Iwis chain and nitrided sprockets. No little needle bearings to worry about.
Comp makes a cool set with Torrington bearing for 160$. It would be awesome if they used a Iwis or Z chain. Not sure what it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Nitemare Performance sells a very nice thrust plate. I have never found a need for anything more exotic up front. If you like, The SIMS torrington bearing set-up is available, but not needed IMO. It uses a Rollmaster timing set which is inferior to the Cloyes Billet sets IMO.
Would you use their standard plate or the hardened version.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
Would you use their standard plate or the hardened version.
I have used both without issue. The standard one is still a hard material and has extra oiling as described. I only used their "Pro" version on our nitro engine because of the extreme load from the blower, magneto, oil pump and fuel pump. Barely scratched it after 10 years of use.