THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Holden GTO impressions

I've driven numerous vintage GTO's over the years. I think I've driven very year except the '74 Nova/GTO. Tri-Powers, Ram Air cars are my favorites. Four speeds are a big plus.
Today a customer invited me to take his red '06 for a drive. It's an automatic with 32K miles. I LOVED THIS THING!! Good, tight handling in the curves and a smooth ride over various road conditions was what I experienced. Dead stop or slow roll, it pulled like a freight train. I was the rev limiter.

I WANT ONE!
More proof that I'm getting old I guess.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We bought a new one in '04 and my dad has it now. Great cars- especially the '06. Amazing how well the clean ones have held their value

Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new one in 2005. I put 100,000 miles on it before I sold it.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had one of the first Holden Monaro's an 02 model when they were first released, yes we had them 2 years before they were exported to the States and rebadged as GTO's.
Personally I love the old school feel of my 69 GTO, hard to beat that raw power feel you get from a true muscle car, modern cars a nice and comfy but lack that something, also I hated the fixed rear quarter glass in the Monaro, took away from making the car a true hardtop. The storey goes it was going to cost Holden millions just to have the rear quarter glass be able to wind down, and as the Monaro/GTO were only going to be a limited release Holden didn't spend the coin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MONARO 002B.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	463968   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONARO 008H.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	463972   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONARO 007G.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	463973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2869.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	463974  

Last edited by Ozzmann; 09-21-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't see no car?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL, thought you boys might enjoy that photo!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have driven the 5.7 and the 6.0, would not buy a 5.7 now although they are constantly nsiderbly less money. The Manaro was a much better looking car in my opinion but taking the spoiler off appeals to me on both. They are a great modem musclecar, if I could swing owning both an older and newer I would, but $ limits it to one or the other and I still like the raw feel of an old car.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like 'em too.
I saw one this week that had an interesting aftermarket hood on it. Fiberglass, I'm sure. It looked like the classic 68-70 GTO hood with nostril scoops and the raised center bump.
It was kinda cool but didn't quite make it since the center bump/point did not extend down into the center of the grilles like the old ones. The point terminated right at the front edge of the hood.
I've seen others with the scoops but never with the point. Can't even find a picture of one on the net.
This is the closest I've found but the center bump was much more pronounced and came to a point right above the arrowhead badge.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought mine new as a leftover 05. Until recently on PY everyone has hated these cars for the most part. It was the red headed stepchild, Rodney Dangerfield of all the GTOs ever made. NOT a real GTO was all I heard on this forum. The first time I test drove the car I was impressed, and now at 132,000, 11 years later, it still impresses me.

It's not perfect because of some of the shortcomings, such as the leather seat covers tend to shrink with exposure to sun and the stitching rips on the seams. Some had differential noise when new and they were covered under warranty. It is a value for the money though.

I used to hear that because of the styling no one even notices them, that's a crock. I get compliments constantly from people when they see it parked and while I'm driving it, and have ever since I bought it. Just about a month ago my wife and I were at Walmart and when we came out there were two silver haired old ladies admiring my car and hey complimented me when we walked up to them. Usually it's younger kids that notice it, but not that time.....LOL

Only new car I ever owned and I'm glad I bought it when I did. Two days after I bought it Pontiac put out a statement that 06 would be the final year for the GTO. I never had the funds to buy an new GTO in the 60s and 70s and I figured it would be my last time to ever be able to own a brand new GTO, turns out I was right.

I made prototypes of a more aggressive set of grilles, and was going to sell some, however life got in the way and the only set I made is installed in my own car. Most people just buy the SAP reproductions if they want to change grilles, and the big push for other grilles is past so I haven't pursued making and selling them. Link to post about new grilles http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=537881&page=2

Anyway it's a underappreciated car, especially on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charlie121.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	463982  

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I like 'em too.
I saw one this week that had an interesting aftermarket hood on it. Fiberglass, I'm sure. It looked like the classic 68-70 GTO hood with nostril scoops and the raised center bump.
It was kinda cool but didn't quite make it since the center bump/point did not extend down into the center of the grilles like the old ones. The point terminated right at the front edge of the hood.
I've seen others with the scoops but never with the point. Can't even find a picture of one on the net.
This is the closest I've found but the center bump was much more pronounced and came to a point right above the arrowhead badge.

Here was the hood we made out of two steel hoods. Made it for the GTO not more than a month after I bought it new in 04. As you can see, still in primer before being painted but have already painted the strip along the side of the car.

Little different after some paint was added

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

I made prototypes of a more aggressive set of grilles, and was going to sell some, however life got in the way and the only set I made is installed in my own car. Most people just buy the SAP reproductions if they want to change grilles, and the big push for other grilles is past so I haven't pursued making and selling them. Link to post about new grilles http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=537881&page=2

Anyway it's a underappreciated car, especially on this forum.

We pursued this avenue as well with the custom grilles and made a sweet set. They just cost way too much for most people to afford and the price point was too high with the machine time and material costs at the time, but everyone wanted them......they just didn't want to pay for them. The were milled from aluminum and we used a set of original grilles that we cut out the perimeter to secure them to the car. They looked great but never made another set of them.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love that one Gastiresandoil. Love the color and yes, your hood is the closest I've seen to compare to the one I mentioned except the center hump on the one I saw didn't have the hard edges but more rounded like the original '68 hoods.
By the way, the one I saw was in primer also.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a 2005 6 speed. Most fun for mile I've ever had. Put the Aussie chip in it. Said it was good for 450 hp?? Sure felt let it>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	463988  

Old 09-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am very happy with my 05 manual trans GTO. I think it's a great representation of what the model would have evolved to had production not ended in 74.

The car gets thumbs up and compliments everywhere I go. The exhaust rumble sounds great for a modern car. Driving experience is excellent. Of all the GTOs that I have driven, I would rate the 2005 as the best of the bunch.

Seats are super comfortable, A/C works fantastic, 6 speed is firm and stout, steering is excellent, instrumentation is very well thought out. Tach is perfectly placed and clocked correctly.

My only gripes are the LS engine is butt ugly and the rear wheel wells need to be larger to accept more rubber.

I am not a fan of classic GTOs with LS engine swap.....something is just wrong with that idea in my mind. But I am a fan of the LS2 with a Holden GTO wrapped around it! That works for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When they came out it didn't impress me that much. Now I like them. I have a feeling people are putting the Monaro badging and panels on the GTOs here, or maybe actually importing them because I have seen at least two driving around San Diego, one of which is a blue RHD model in El Cajon.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loved my Pulse Red '04 . With a cam, shorties and a stall converter I had it down to 12.2 in the 1/4. Haven't seen too many around recently.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Still...

look like a used bar of soap...performance notwithstanding.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
When they came out it didn't impress me that much. Now I like them. I have a feeling people are putting the Monaro badging and panels on the GTOs here, or maybe actually importing them because I have seen at least two driving around San Diego, one of which is a blue RHD model in El Cajon.
Same here. I test drove one at the dealership in 05 and wasn't impressed. I guess I was expecting it to be retro themed version of the original models. I am so glad Pontiac/Holden didn't go that route. I didn't get it then.....I get it now. They are really great cars. Not just for the acceleration....almost all aspects are impressive. Independent rear suspension on a rear wheel drive in 04-06 was way ahead of it's time. (Corvette being the obvious exception of course...)

I really like the styling as well. I didn't back then but it's great looking to me now. I like how it's understated at first glance but the more you look at it, the more you can tell it means business. I think that is a cool feature of the car.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Holden still builds cool cars. This one looks like fun.
HSV GTSR W1
https://youtu.be/kkVJxpsU4ms

Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
Holden still builds cool cars. This one looks like fun.
HSV GTSR W1
https://youtu.be/kkVJxpsU4ms

Only for 4 more weeks,, GM in it's wisdom is closing the doors to our local production on the
20th of October! It will be a sad day, much like the demise of Pontiac.