WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 04-06 GTO forum/website

OK.... I am thinking about getting a 04-06 GTO for a daily driver.

So like I always do..... I look for a forum to learn on..... So I join LS1GTO.com

Well, after reading for a bit, I feel like I just joined the GIXXER forum for motorcycles....

LOL..... am I just better off staying here, or is there a more serious forum for these cars?
400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

You might give this one a try, I really can't say whether it's a good one or not:

http://www.newagegto.com/

Since PY is geared mostly towards the older GTOs you'll very likely find more late-model LS1/LS2 GTO info on another site.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will try it..... cant hurt.
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You might give this one a try, I really can't say whether it's a good one or not:

http://www.newagegto.com/

Since PY is geared mostly towards the older GTOs you'll very likely find more late-model LS1/LS2 GTO info on another site.

Just joined...... but it seems to be a dying forum..... less then a dozen active topics in the last 2 weeks....
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I would look at LS1TECH.com, they have a subforum there that focuses on the newest GTOs. It's probably THE largest automotive-based forum on the internet, always a lot of activity:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/index.php
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LS1GTO used to be a lot better, but as the cars started to hit the used car lots and the prices dropped the quality of the forum went down. There's still quite a few guys who know their stuff over there though.

What types of questions did you have?
'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
LS1GTO used to be a lot better, but as the cars started to hit the used car lots and the prices dropped the quality of the forum went down. There's still quite a few guys who know their stuff over there though.

What types of questions did you have?
Nothing specific as yet.....

Probably wont have much.....

Starting the process of looking for one, which will take a while to find the right one, for the right price....

Looking for a driver, so I dont need one of the $20K low mileage( under 20,000mi) ones.....

I would even consider an 04 for the right price...
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GasTiresOil.com is an upcoming new gen site. LS1GTO.com is the best still though simply because any question you have you can do a search on and find at least one answer and in most cases 5 or 6. No other site will have the history like LS1GTO.com has. Just stay out of the Lobby, for reasons others have already stated. Ls1Tech is indeed another good one. Check your region on LS1GTO.com as well to see if there is a local forum like we have BuckeyeGoats.com which spwaned from LS1GTO.com for us OH guys.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my 05 a few months back for a daily driver. I've owned a ton of cars and I can say honestly it's probably the best car I've ever had. Shop around. There are some really good deals out there. Carfax is your best friend. I got lucky and found a one owner car in the Atlanta suburbs with a little under 85k miles on it. Nicely kept orignal un modded car. That leaves the door open for me to play around with it and I know what has been done to it. Don't buy someone else's problems. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is buy one from someone a little older. Everyone I looked at that was owned by a mid 20s and younger owner, seemed to be really beat on. I'm 31 so I'm still a little on the young side but the 30 and later crowd don't seem to have that wreckless lead foot and the cars aren't abused. Seems most 04s in good shape with decent mileage bring $10-$14k and 05s can be bought in the same range. 06s bring more, especially if they are low mileage.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another very well-established forum is gtoforum.com, a bit like LS1GTO.com but maybe a bit tamer.

The "new" GTO crowd is a lot different than the vintage musclecar crowd. I took a road trip to Bradenton for an all-GTO day at the track shortly after I bought my 06. I had a good time, learned a lot, and got plenty of passes down the 1/4 mile with it. But I didn't fit in nearly as well as I do when I take my 69 to car shows.

But then again after almost five years I still haven't gotten tired of my 06. Its a real drivers car- it may not be flashy but the performance is outstanding.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LS1GTO.com has a lot of douches on it, but still has alot of good info.

When I sold my 2004 GTO (about 4 years ago) and bought an Acura TL for the wife, I was chastized on that site for not being a 'real man' (because I bought a 'Jap' car - that was made in the foreign country of Ohio to replace my 'Austrailian' American GTO). I understand not everyone likes asian car companies, but it really wasn't to replace the GTO. It was for the wife and we had a child on the way at the time. She couldn't drive the GTO (6 speed), and the trunk was useless. I got a brand new company car that is completely free to me to replace my $400/month toy. If I would have kept the '04, my '66 would have still been in my parents house when their house was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. I put my father's '64 back in the place that my '66 was in and it was completely destroyed by the fire.

Anyways the childish responses from 80% of the people on there has kept me away since. Plus I had to get rid of the 2004, so I could bring the 1966 GTO to my house. The '66 is way cooler, but I still have a soft spot for the 2004-2006 GTOs. I put 20k miles on mine in 8 months and I absolutely loved it. I would like to own another some day in the future. Probably a 2006 in Phantom Black/Redhot or the Brazen Orange. I have no need for a daily driver right now, so it may be a while before I own another one.

I think some of the biggest issues are mainly cosmetic...Paint falling off, seat stitching coming apart, etc. There are a few electrical gremlins that I know of (steering column harness, radio) as well, but for the most part the car is pretty well built. Easy to work on too. The LS1/Tremec 6 speed is a phenomenal combo once you eliminate the skip shift. 2004's are very quiet with the true 2.25" dual exhaust (both outlets on the left). 2005 - 2006's sound much better stock but actually do not have full dual exhaust (two pipes into single resonator/muffler in the middle of the car, then back to two 3" pipes to dual mufflers in the rear). I removed the front resonators immediately after I got mine and it sounded better right away. Obviously we all would want a 2005/2006 due to the extra power and better brakes, but there is nothing wrong with a 2004.

I'd say my biggest nit pick was the trunk size...It is rather small due to the fuel tank taking up half of it. The factory Blaupunkt stereo was horrible as well.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is pretty obvious that as the prices dropped the quality of membership dropped as well. Like you say though it still is the best for technical information; sales, regional and events are pretty strong as well. I don't know why we don't have regional forums here, sure would be nice!