Old 09-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know the correct finish (paint or plating) for mounting brackets for 4 piston disc brake calipers? I know the brackets for 69 up single piston type were gold cad plated, but have never officially seen what's correct for 67-68. Also how about the calipers themselves. Were they painted black or left natural cast finish?

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
Old 09-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know the correct finish (paint or plating) for mounting brackets for 4 piston disc brake calipers? I know the brackets for 69 up single piston type were gold cad plated, but have never officially seen what's correct for 67-68. Also how about the calipers themselves. Were they painted black or left natural cast finish?

68 GTO convertible
C1 224 Triple white
Old 09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they were natural color.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The brackets I took off my car had no indication of ever being plated. I suppose it's possible they were zinc plated originally, but they definitely weren't gold cad plated. The calipers were natural for sure.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Senior Chief

Well, combining the responses here from cuz68 and Verdoro_68 with a few from the Suspension Tech section (where I also posted this question) there is agreement that the calipers were natural cast. This contradicts the current state of my own 4 piston calipers, however, but they were rebuilt by Master Power Brakes about 15 years ago and were painted black (probably POR 15 because it's not coming off very easily) by them. I can't remember if they were originally unpainted when I first took them off. The only other info I have is the picture on pg 223 of the Zazarine 64-70 Resto Guide which appears to show the calipers painted black and the brackets as natural steel or zinc plated. I know this is suspect since they also call for the master cylinder to be painted 60% gloss back.
On the issue of the brackets the responses here indicating natural or zinc plated contrast with the Susp Tech responses that the brackets were painted black. I didn't pay real close attention to my brackets when I took things apart 6 month ago but I don't think mine had any evidence of paint. Although 35 years in the vicinity of calipers occasionally leaking brake fluid might erase any evidence of paint.

I appreciate the responses. I know that when it comes to paint colors and finishes on the chassis there is not always one correct answer... but if there is in this case I'd like to know it. Anybody else want to weigh in?

68 GTO convertible
C1 224 Triple white
Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If your car has the "Fat" 309 master cylinder it is supposed to be black.