Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-03-2024, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Polymer coated rotors

I did the brakes on my wife’s Toyota over the weekend. I used NAPA’s Adaptive One line as usual. To my surprise the rotors are polymer coated. I’ve never seen this, but don’t do nearly as many brake jobs these days. Has anybody used these types of polymer coated rotors on other vehicles? What was your impression in the long run?
I posted this on a different forum, but it’s not a CAR forum, so not necessarily a lot of car guys there. One said the coating can “clog up” the pads?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	625885  

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.

Last edited by 67drake; 01-03-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fixed pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	625886  

Old 01-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just put new rotors on my '68. Nothing like that popped up during my search. I never liked the way rotors rust though, which is the only reason I bothered to paint the hubs on mine, so might be a nice touch..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20231218_132900108_HDR.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	625887  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used them the most recent time I did the brakes on my GMC truck ... which is like every three years. They are holding up better than previous attempts I've seen to paint/coat rotors. Mine are looking pretty good after 2 years in the Northeast and about 10,000 miles. However I did paint them also .... northeast winters you know.

Like I'm guessing you have .... I've found NAPA premium rotors to be about the best.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I used them the most recent time I did the brakes on my GMC truck ... which is like every three years. They are holding up better than previous attempts I've seen to paint/coat rotors. Mine are looking pretty good after 2 years in the Northeast and about 10,000 miles. However I did paint them also .... northeast winters you know.

Like I'm guessing you have .... I've found NAPA premium rotors to be about the best.
Yes, I’ve been using the adaptive one line, and they seem to last the longest, never squeak, and don’t put a layer of brake dust on the rims.
This is the first time I’ve seen them with this coating though. They sure look purdy! Almost look like I sprayed them with an aluminum paint, and I didn’t have to wash the waxy coating off, like on most new rotors.

The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I did the brakes on my wife’s Toyota over the weekend. I used NAPA’s Adaptive One line as usual. To my surprise the rotors are polymer coated. I’ve never seen this, but don’t do nearly as many brake jobs these days. Has anybody used these types of polymer coated rotors on other vehicles? What was your impression in the long run?
I posted this on a different forum, but it’s not a CAR forum, so not necessarily a lot of car guys there. One said the coating can “clog up” the pads?
We have installed a ton of those rotors. You will be satisfied. Rotors all eventually rust but the coatings help.

The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewKlein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
the rotors are polymer coated... ...One said the coating can “clog up” the pads?
So this "polymer coating" covers the braking surface also?

I'm not real comfortable with that. I'd need to study the recommendations of the manufacturer/supplier.

Any "coated" rotors I've used, appear to be coated (powdercoating, I suspect) and then the braking surface is machined so the coating there is removed. That, or they do a good job of masking the braking surface so that part isn't coated to begin with.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
So this "polymer coating" covers the braking surface also?

I'm not real comfortable with that. I'd need to study the recommendations of the manufacturer/supplier.

Any "coated" rotors I've used, appear to be coated (powdercoating, I suspect) and then the braking surface is machined so the coating there is removed. That, or they do a good job of masking the braking surface so that part isn't coated to begin with.
The entire rotor is coated, as pictured, so even the braking surface.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

The entire rotor is covered so that the hat and inside the cooling vanes are also protected. Your brake pads will scuff away the coating where they are contacting the rotor the first time you press the brakes during your bedding process. The coating is designed to scuff away without bedding in to your pads, so there's no risk of braking issues. Because it's designed that way, there's no need to spend money or time masking or machining after the coating is applied.

This process is similar to the EDM coating used by Wilwood. Baer zinc coats their rotors which does essentially the same thing. The brake pads will wear through the zinc coating very quickly there as well.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

I have had great luck using Auto Zones black coated rotors. The whole rotor is coated in black and when you first drive it the pads clean the rotor face. It makes a weird grinding sound at first but goes away quickly. They stay nice looking for a long time. They are their Duralast Gold line. They have a 3-year warranty. I like using them.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rotors on one of our Subarus has the Geomet coating on them and they still look brand new after being on the car for over a year in Seattle. Lots of miles, lots of exposure to moisture. Zero corrosion or any other discoloration on the non-swept hub portion. Huge improvement over what rotors used to be like.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The jap cars have had the rotors coated rotors since the 90’s. it looks way better than seeing a rusty rotor through the wheel.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-04-2024, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have installed a couple hundred of the Adaptive 1 branded rotors from NAPA. It is their "super premium" line. Still Chinese of course. Fit and performance wise, no difference between them and the "premium line" They will resist rust much better than the "performer" series, which are plain iron. They rust immediately. The "premium" line has an anodized coating in a dark gray color. It is not great for rust. They generally have a light rust coating on the entire rotor in 1 year in Ohio weather. The Adaptive 1 poly coat seems to be rust free for about a year and lightly rusted in 1-2 years. For cars with open aluminum wheels where the rotors are visible, they do look a bit nicer than the cheap stuff. General approximate pricing is: Performer rotor $35.00 Premium rotor $45.00 Adaptive 1 $60.00.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. I was just curious.
Do they make these for Chevy/Ford trucks and such?
Surprised I haven’t seen them before now, I always ask at NAPA for their best rotors. I just put rotors on my wife’s Suburban rear, and my Duramax, in the last year, but they were not these polymer coated.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All you can do is ask and check for each application. NAPA has been in flux for a year or so now changing the names and some vendors for their parts. The "Pro-Select" name is being phased out. That was their cheap crap. Now anything from NAPA under the new name "Performer" is the cheap crap. The mid line stuff, what they like to refer to as OE equivalent is sold under the NAPA Premium name. The really good stuff in the brakes line is the Adaptive 1 line. That has not changed. It's a rubic's cube trying to keep up with what is what. Same with all the parts stores. Even with AC Delco parts. If the AC Delco parts don't have the" Professional" name on them, they are the same cheap crap as all the other stuff out there. Finding an acceptable part to put on your car is a complex operation now. Thanks to the flood of Chinese garbage and so many people just looking for the cheapest piece of junk to put on their $75,000.00 car!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure we all have a disdain for rusty vented rotors, and so go about removing the crust and spraying a hi-temp paint in hopes of keeping a decent rotor.

If my cars need rotors, be sure i'm looking for a set of coated rotors. Okay with knocking off the wear surface on the 1st drive.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I'm sure we all have a disdain for rusty vented rotors, and so go about removing the crust and spraying a hi-temp paint in hopes of keeping a decent rotor.

If my cars need rotors, be sure i'm looking for a set of coated rotors. Okay with knocking off the wear surface on the 1st drive.
If your OK with waiting about a week for delivery, I really like brake parts from "Power Stop" brand. Sold through Rock Auto. Their rotors are truly premium. Most are drilled, slotted and polymer coated. When you look them up on line they appear to be extremely expensive. But they are sold in pairs because there is a right and left for the slotting. So one item gets you a pair. The actual cost is about double a typical replacement rotor. But they are excellent.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been buying the zinc coated rotors for years and since I live in a desert dry climate they stay looking nice for as long as I've owned them. The catch is I've had to mail order them to get the coated stuff. Rotors I've gotten at the local stores don't come that way.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE