Old 11-07-2022, 05:42 PM

Default 1967 shock absorbers

I am looking for recommendations for shocks for my '67 GTO. The ones on the car are about 12 years old and are getting tired. The car is used only in good weather for cruising and to local shows. Not a daily driver and not a race car. Improving the ride and handling would be a nice benefit. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just buy stock replacement shocks. Unless you do autocross or something you won't notice the difference between stock and hipo.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:11 AM

Thanks. that's easy.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That might be an over simplification though. Cheap shocks might not be much better than what you are taking off the car. Our 67's are always going to handle like locomotives and if we can decrease some of the worse quirks the car is going to be better off for it. Might be the difference of a safe emergency maneuver and ending up in a ditch.

I went to Bilstein's and feel they were worth the additional money - and I only go fast in a straight line. I tried KYB's on another car and they were gone within the year and their quality now sucks. The Bilstein's have been on the GTO for 3 years and perform like the day I installed them.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a set of airshocks for the rear? Helps a lot if you put any weight in the trunk. Or if you use wider than stock rear tires. The lip and the chrome trim are so wide that the tires will rub. Especially with extra weight in the trunk, or people in the back seat. They can improve the just the ride too with no added weight. Up front use the best shocks you can. Cheapies are a waste of good money.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have since 25+ years Delco gas shocks on both my GTOīs (Delco Superlift on my 66 since they were a factory option on my car) and they are still fine.

I donīt know about Delco quality today, but i have found their Superlift shocks they sell today are the same as Gabriel.

FWIW

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, seems every time a New Flavor is released everything prior is labeled as junk

Old 11-09-2022, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Set of Gabriel gas shocks will be good for a nice ride & many years to follow.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are all the OEM looking "reproduction" shocks basically garbage dressed up to look like OEM?
That's what I put on my 68 when I thought it was going to matter to me, but now I'm leaning more toward what will actually work.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:00 AM

Mick: your comments are interesting since I thought KYB and Bilstein were about the same quality level. Eaton Spring sells KYB and they are local to me so I thought they would be an easy choice. Any more thoughts? thanks again

Old 11-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Are all the OEM looking "reproduction" shocks basically garbage dressed up to look like OEM?
That would be my guess. For the front of my GTO I used KYB shocks. It doesn't really matter to me if they aren't original as most of the car isn't. And it's not judged that closely, if it ever is. I chased a concours judge away years ago as I was register in the Modified class.

He wasn't much of a judge anyways. He didn't know crap about Pontiacs. He made me lift the hood and asked, "Is this a big block?". I just walked away and told him to get away from my car.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 03:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pershing View Post
... thought KYB and Bilstein were about the same quality level.
KYBs (at least the ones I bought) were unnecessarily harsh. If you live in an area with *perfect* roads, they're fine, but I switched to some Monroe gas shocks and if I were faced with same situation I would do it again in a heartbeat.

And when I looked around on the internet, I saw others that felt the same way. Never seen any remorse from people that used the Bilsteins. Other than the bright color, I'm keen to try them.

I drove through muddy construction sites, over sidewalks, medians, might've even got some air time once. I'm no diva. I appreciate having to do things manually (steering, windows, transmissions). Also did the poly bushing thing, tHeY wOn'T sQuEeK. They lied.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
KYBs (at least the ones I bought) were unnecessarily harsh. If you live in an area with *perfect* roads, they're fine, but I switched to some Monroe gas shocks and if I were faced with same situation I would do it again in a heartbeat.

And when I looked around on the internet, I saw others that felt the same way. Never seen any remorse from people that used the Bilsteins. Other than the bright color, I'm keen to try them.

I drove through muddy construction sites, over sidewalks, medians, might've even got some air time once. I'm no diva. I appreciate having to do things manually (steering, windows, transmissions). Also did the poly bushing thing, tHeY wOn'T sQuEeK. They lied.
My poly bushings (installed in 1998) still aren't squeaking, but one of them split completely apart and had to be replaced (with rubber). I can't tell a difference between the side that has rubber and the side that has poly.

I completely agree with the Monroe vs. KYB comments.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had KYB gas-a-justs on the front of my '67 GTO since 1984, and they're still doing the job. Perfect fit, no mods, and great shocks with good ride quality.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pershing View Post
Mick: your comments are interesting since I thought KYB and Bilstein were about the same quality level. Eaton Spring sells KYB and they are local to me so I thought they would be an easy choice. Any more thoughts? thanks again
Bilstein shocks are among the highest quality available anywhere, and I'd argue they are a better product than KYB. If I was in the market for shocks, I'd go with Bilstein, but that's just my view on the matter as someone who as used Bilstein products for many years in a highly demanding track setting.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild