THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Janet Guthrie drove a NASCAR car and an Indy car and showed more talent than danica ever will, she brings a big dollar sponsor (Go Daddy) to NASCAR, not talent. Talk to us when she has some wins like 21 YO Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse, have.

Rick Hendrick now has 2 marketable drivers that won't win races or championships, Jr and danica. Jack Roush has a knack for picking drivers with excellent talent, Rick Hendrick has a knack for picking drivers that attract sponsors, there's a difference.

BTW, I probably have more laps in an oval track car than danica does and even at 59 could probably do as well as she does.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Oh, let's see, David Reutimann, Brian Vickers. David Ragan and few others could use a better ride.

Danica, schmanica. In three years it will be Danica Who?
David Boring lost his job to Mark Martin. Vickers has had health issues.

yea, they could use a better ride down in the Nationwide series where she drives 90% of the time.

I'd rather see her driving in cup than these dirtbags start and parkers like Joe Nemechek or Robby " I can't drive a stock car to save my life" Gordon.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Janet Guthrie drove a NASCAR car and an Indy car and showed more talent than danica ever will, she brings a big dollar sponsor (Go Daddy) to NASCAR, not talent. Talk to us when she has some wins like 21 YO Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse, have.

Rick Hendrick now has 2 marketable drivers that won't win races or championships, Jr and danica. Jack Roush has a knack for picking drivers with excellent talent, Rick Hendrick has a knack for picking drivers that attract sponsors, there's a difference.

BTW, I probably have more laps in an oval track car than danica does and even at 59 could probably do as well as she does.
There was no money for marketing back then. Different times. Show more talent how? How many indy car races did Janet win? Again, Bayne and Stenhouse have been doing larger car racing for longer. She needs seat time.

I wouldn't bet against Jr. winning again. How many races has he won in his career? A few.

Maybe, but where is your marketing to bring in what it takes to run these races?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr GTO, I'd love to see Robbie Gordon and Danica Schmanica team up in a Baja 1000.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Dale Jr. has two Nationwide (Busch series) championships (two more as an owner), 18 cup wins, a Daytona 500 win, a Winston (all star race win), etc.. To imply that he doesn't have talent or that he is only with Hendrick because he attracts sponsors, is ludicrous. His career accomplishments are very much in line with any of the current Roush drivers. Matt has more Cup wins and a Cup championship, but Biffle and Edwards have stats very similar to Dale's.

At this point, I'd say Danica -to- Joey "Sliced Bread" Logano (who seems like a nice kid, by the way) would be a better comparison.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Janet Guthrie only raced for a few years in both venues and never had top equipment in either, I do know more than a little about oval track racing and DP is not a natural talent as far as a driver, seat time isn't going to make up for lack of talent.

Look at Jr that has the best equipment and plenty of seat time, over 3 years without a win. Hendrick has changed every component in the equation except the driver and over 3 years without a win. That's more than just a slump.

Chris, I'm not going to get in a urination contest over this but I feel I do know something about this subject being I have followed it more years than you've been on this earth. It's not all about statistics, it's about talent which is measured differently than just stats. When you've done some laps then you'll be more qualified to judge who has talent and who doesn't. I watch them as they drive and see how the react in an emergency situation. I don't just get online and look up statistics, there's more to it............

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Janet Guthrie only raced for a few years in both venues and never had top equipment in either, I do know more than a little about oval track racing and DP is not a natural talent as far as a driver, seat time isn't going to make up for lack of talent.

Look at Jr that has the best equipment and plenty of seat time, over 3 years without a win. Hendrick has changed every component in the equation except the driver and over 3 years without a win. That's more than just a slump.

Chris, I'm not going to get in a urination contest over this but I feel I do know something about this subject being I have followed it more years than you've been on this earth. It's not all about statistics, it's about talent which is measured differently than just stats. When you've done some laps then you'll be more qualified to judge who has talent and who doesn't. I watch them as they drive and see how the react in an emergency situation. I don't just get online and look up statistics, there's more to it............

Well if she did you think she would have won? Remember, Danica has won a race and has finished in the top 5 at the Indy 500.

He had lesser equipment when he was in the 8 and he did much better there than at Hendrick. He did pretty well last year as well. he can drive and has proven he can win. Plus it doesn't hurt that he has a large fan base and mega marketing behind him.

Brad, no worries. You've just been fortunate enough to be on this mudhole longer than me. I can only talk to what I know and marketing is one of those things. Lots of people can drive but it takes more than that these days.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_6970 View Post
Dale Jr. has two Nationwide (Busch series) championships (two more as an owner), 18 cup wins, a Daytona 500 win, a Winston (all star race win), etc.. To imply that he doesn't have talent or that he is only with Hendrick because he attracts sponsors, is ludicrous. His career accomplishments are very much in line with any of the current Roush drivers. Matt has more Cup wins and a Cup championship, but Biffle and Edwards have stats very similar to Dale's.

At this point, I'd say Danica -to- Joey "Sliced Bread" Logano (who seems like a nice kid, by the way) would be a better comparison.

Dale Jr is not a top caliper driver and just because he has the name doesn't transfer to talent. He isn't his father and to imply he has car control like his father or anyone else in the upper echelon of drivers is simply ludicrous. He does do well on restrictor plate tracks, can't deny that, he is not a great talent by any stretch of the imagination and being voted favorite driver many years in a row still doesn't make him an outstanding driver. He'll probably win a race or two here and there, I doubt he'll ever win a championship. Cup and Nationwide aren't the same or even close, Tony Stewart had no wins in Nationwide before moving to cup, Joe Gibbs saw the talent there though and moved him to cup so stats don't prove ability or talent. Stats are a way to backup whether a driver has talent, not definitive by themselves.

He isn't hungry for wins, you remember last year when Stewart won 5 races during the chase and tied Edwards for points and won the championship just on determination, Jr doesn't have that. You want to talk about natural ability in a stockcar, Kyle Busch, I'm not a fan of his, however if you want to judge anyone on ability, car control, and natural talent, that's the yardstick.

Hendrick unofficially adopted Jr after his own son was killed and Jr was happy to have a father figure again, another factor in the mix in Jr's favor. Marketability is huge right now in NASCAR right now and to think it's not in this economic downturn is hiding your head in the sand. If Jr wasn't able to bring big bucks he wouldn't have a top ride, same as DP.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Dale Jr is not a top caliper driver and just because he has the name doesn't transfer to talent. He isn't his father and to imply he has car control like his father or anyone else in the upper echelon of drivers is simply ludicrous. He does do well on restrictor plate tracks, can't deny that, he is not a great talent by any stretch of the imagination and being voted favorite driver many years in a row still doesn't make him an outstanding driver. He'll probably win a race or two here and there, I doubt he'll ever win a championship. Cup and Nationwide aren't the same or even close, Tony Stewart had no wins in Nationwide before moving to cup, Joe Gibbs saw the talent there though and moved him to cup so stats don't prove ability or talent. Stats are a way to backup whether a driver has talent, not definitive by themselves.

He isn't hungry for wins, you remember last year when Stewart won 5 races during the chase and tied Edwards for points and won the championship just on determination, Jr doesn't have that. You want to talk about natural ability in a stockcar, Kyle Busch, I'm not a fan of his, however if you want to judge anyone on ability, car control, and natural talent, that's the yardstick.

Hendrick unofficially adopted Jr after his own son was killed and Jr was happy to have a father figure again, another factor in the mix in Jr's favor. Marketability is huge right now in NASCAR right now and to think it's not in this economic downturn is hiding your head in the sand. If Jr wasn't able to bring big bucks he wouldn't have a top ride, same as DP.
Tony is a great driver, no question. I agree with your feelings about Kyle Busch as well. I disagree with your comparison of Danica and Dale. The difference between the two is the statistics. Sorry, but to say otherwise, is to bury your head in the sand. I'm actually not a big fan of Dale Jr. and I didn't care much at all for his father, but I don't see how people can claim he doesn't have talent. You don't win at the cup level with only your last name and no talent. Do you really think that NASCAR conspired to let Dale win 18 races? BS. He may not win a championship or many more races, but he will still have had a good career. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but I know he was talented.

You mentioned in another post that Dale is in a slump and I think that slump might be due to the introduction of the C.O.T. and the release of Tony Eury Jr. as his crew chief. Sports of all kinds have elements of chemistry and it was clear that Dale and Lance Mcgrew didn't have much chemistry together. In 2010, while Mcgrew was still his Cup crew chief, Dale ran a one race deal with Wrangler in the #3 Nationwide car at Daytona and won with Eury Jr. as his crew chief. Since being paired with Letarte last year, Dale's on track performance has improved quite a bit. Even Hendrick himself said that he should have made the change sooner. By the way, Mcgrew didn't win with Mark Martin behind the wheel either - same equipment. While Dale may not be a top 5 driver, he is certainly better than half the pack out there.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What happened to this thread? It's NOT about drivers, It's about the CARS and how chevy isn't chevy, ford isn't ford anymore in NASCAR. NO STOCK PARTS ARE USED. Who gives a rat's A$$ about who has more talent between the spoiled baby and the slut?
THEY BOTH SUCK.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
What happened to this thread? It's NOT about drivers, It's about the CARS and how chevy isn't chevy, ford isn't ford anymore in NASCAR. NO STOCK PARTS ARE USED. Who gives a rat's A$$ about who has more talent between the spoiled baby and the slut?
THEY BOTH SUCK.
What is this? No GM bashing in your post? Or, is the "THEY BOTH SUCK" comment for Chevy and Ford?

Back to topic.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_6970 View Post
Tony is a great driver, no question. I agree with your feelings about Kyle Busch as well. I disagree with your comparison of Danica and Dale. The difference between the two is the statistics. Sorry, but to say otherwise, is to bury your head in the sand. I'm actually not a big fan of Dale Jr. and I didn't care much at all for his father, but I don't see how people can claim he doesn't have talent. You don't win at the cup level with only your last name and no talent. Do you really think that NASCAR conspired to let Dale win 18 races? BS. He may not win a championship or many more races, but he will still have had a good career. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but I know he was talented.

You mentioned in another post that Dale is in a slump and I think that slump might be due to the introduction of the C.O.T. and the release of Tony Eury Jr. as his crew chief. Sports of all kinds have elements of chemistry and it was clear that Dale and Lance Mcgrew didn't have much chemistry together. In 2010, while Mcgrew was still his Cup crew chief, Dale ran a one race deal with Wrangler in the #3 Nationwide car at Daytona and won with Eury Jr. as his crew chief. Since being paired with Letarte last year, Dale's on track performance has improved quite a bit. Even Hendrick himself said that he should have made the change sooner. By the way, Mcgrew didn't win with Mark Martin behind the wheel either - same equipment. While Dale may not be a top 5 driver, he is certainly better than half the pack out there.

Never liked Sr or Jr, kid doesn't have his dad around any longer to prove something to and has no drive to win. The money keeps coming in from all the endorsements commercials etc. When there is no drive and nothing to prove the lackluster performance shows itself. 18 wins in 12 years is not outstanding in my book. The wins were mostly on restrictor plate tracks where he shines, as I already said. You'll never convince me he's anything better than mediocre overall. There are more talented drivers that would give their right arm to be in his position. I think I can see talent and as well as he does on superspeedways his overall package sucks.

Do you think there's a reason he doesn't compete in the dirt track Prelude To The Dream? Because he'd look foolish and isn't adaptable to anything more than running on superspeedways, he's good at that, but a talented driver can drive any type car on any surface and do well, Johnson, Bowyer, Kahne, Reutimann, Busch, Newman, and Stewart come to mind. Sliced bread wrecked 2 cars the first year he competed at Eldora, nuff said.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will rest my case when bristol is over, This is only the 4th race of this year. BTW i picked the 18 car in my race pool this week, I am in 2nd place after 3 races.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, Danica starts 27th today. Her qualifying speed was nearly 5MPH off Joey Logano's time.

Which comes first... Danica's crash or going a lap down???

Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The crash. Then she'll be many laps down.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I like the way you think...

But it may only take 5 laps for her to go a lap down...

Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then she'll go on camera and say "he didn't give me enough room. I don't know what he was thinking".

Old 03-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I watch at the races on TV, I see empty seats in the stands, that you didn't see years before. Makes me think NASCAR is starting to loose it appeal.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, you weren't imagining things. The Nationwide race today at Bristol was empty. Now this WAS a Nationwide race, and they don't pull the crowds that a Sprint Cup race pulls, but it was a bit strange to see the Bristol Motor Speedway only about 20% full. Considering many big name Sprint Cup drivers were there (Harvick, Busch, Logano, Kahne, Dale Jr, along with media magnet Danica Patrick), I'm sure today's super light attendance didn't go unnoticed by NASCAR and their sponsors.

NEWS

March 15th 2012 - Chevrolet is developing a new car with a new name for its 2013 NASCAR entry, replacing the Impala used by Team Chevy, and plans to eventually market and sell the new model to consumers.

The dealership and racing versions of the car will be unveiled this year, after the New York auto show in April, spokesman Monte Doran said. The new car will use a nameplate not currently in Chevy’s lineup. Neither the car nor its name will be a derivative of another model in Chevy showrooms, such as the new Malibu or the upcoming redesigned Impala, Doran said. General Motors wouldn’t reveal details.

“We are keeping the wraps on the new car for now and will continue to prepare for next season by testing camouflaged vehicles,” Jim Campbell, vice president of Chevrolet performance vehicles and motorsports, said in a statement.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.

Last edited by MikeNoun; 03-18-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No crash and was a lap or 2 down for her 2 time at bristol, 19th i think, Go try bristol my friends. The race was over at 4pm est, I can see who keeps up with nascar now. sad that no one watched it.