THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default jiffy lube

So went to Jiffy lube today for the first time that I can recall. Got my oil for my work van changed for $25.99. Cheaper then doing it myself plus no oil to get rid of. Went with the base Pennzoil 5-30. Is the oil and filters as good of quality to say a Napa brand oil and filter?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having worked for NAPA for many years I can tell you that their oil to my knowledge is still Valvoline and the filters are made by Wix. There are different grades of filters so the Gold was the best. The filter media and construction of bargain filters which I assume a place like JL would use generally meet OE specs but don't filter as well due to the element and how it is made.
With that said, oils need to meet the same specs so shouldn't be an issue. Knowing some Horror stories from those places though I would always check the level afterward. Also, changing oil brands I have heard stories of engines using more depending on condition of the engine.
Happy motoring!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Also, changing oil brands I have heard stories of engines using more depending on condition of the engine.
Happy motoring!
I was told years ago to stay with one brand of oil, as not all oils are created equal. If you don't, that's where the sludge comes from and you end up a shorter engine lifespan.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I was told years ago to stay with one brand of oil, as not all oils are created equal. If you don't, that's where the sludge comes from and you end up a shorter engine lifespan.
Years ago. that was true because the detergents were not compatible and clabbered when mixed, but the government mandated that all oils be compatible. Some oils are better than others, but they will now mix without causing the sludge that used to be found from mixing different brands of oil.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM

I would not worry about the quality of products these quick change oil places use as much as the quality of the person doing the work. These guys are paid almost nothing to work on your car, and that is the quality of work you receive. Most do not care, and only try to get it done as quick as possible. As I work in a major size dealership in the parts dept., we offer a quick lane oil change service for $19.99. You would not believe the comebacks I have seen because the lubbies screwed up. A lot of the time, they do not even check the oil level after a change, they only see it takes X amount of oil and they dial it in and proceed to the next car. Because of the speed needed to keep up, they do not pay attention to details. There are so many stripped oil plugs, loose or wrong filters used, wrong weight of oil used, it would make your head swim. And if the lubbies fall too far behind, the oil change goes to a trained technician, and I will tell you, you do not want a your oil changed by a tech who is pissed because he has to do an oil change.

I have always done my own maintenance, and will continue as long as my health will let me. I would steer clear of any quick oil change bargains, because it is not a bargain in the long run. If you must get your oil changed elsewhere, I would seek out a small reputable shop, and I would pay a better price to get my car serviced where speed is not the sole reason for there existence.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was told by one of their employees and an independent mechanic that these big oil change places all use recycled oil, and this is the way they are able to charge less. I always do my own, so it was not b/c I was looking to have it done, just in the course of conversation. Not going into whether that is good or bad just what I was told.

X2 on the employees. ALWAYS check the drain plug and everything under the hood after they have their way with your vehicle. I have seen them leave the plug loose (falls out) and leave rags under the hood, causing a fire.

I do it on all our vehicles b/c I have found that you see all kinds of little things that need attention before they become a problem. The value is as much in that as the $10 I save doing it myself. Last time I found where the guy at the battery store had left off PCV hose on wife's car when he put her new battery in.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always had a bad feeling about having someone change my oil that needed to have the oil filter signed by two other people?

TOM
Old 06-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know you're in trouble when the "tech" uses an impact tool to reinstall the drain plug. And yes, I've seen this done.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably won't go back. Checked things today and they closed my hood with the prop going the wrong way and over filled by a quart.
Main thing was it just did not feel right sitting there having someone else changing my oil, kind of went home with my tail between my legs!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Suspended

I call it Jiffy Squirt. I like going there to stare at the women in the waiting room to make them feel uncomfortable.

I miss the old days. I bought a truck from my old company and it was on the FLEET program for a cheaper oil change at the dealer. I also got several school coupon book coupons for $15 off an oil change. So, total cost of the oil change for a couple of years was about $5.16. I would trade coupons with other people to get those coupons.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to one of those places about 12 years ago with a VR6 Volkswagen I had. I changed the air filter myself the night before. Their "technician" pulled it out and held the brand new filter up to me and said "Look how dirty this is - you need our $100 replacement." He also claimed (in about 60 seconds) to have "looked at my fuel injectors" and seen how dirty they were. (another 3 figure treatment was recommended)

Those idiots also managed to put something in my windshield washer fluid that molded and stunk like crazy - what a pain that was to flush out!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a quick change place. My only beef is the heavy handed sales pitch for all of the extra services and the check your lights / turn signal routine they try to put you through.

I usually just go in and say I want an oil change, ONLY an oil change. Most on the time, they seem relieved that they do no have to go through with the phony sales script that they are supposed to pitch.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM

A few times when in a hurry I've went to a oil change shop but I took my own oil and filter and had them install that for their advertised oil change price, and then i'd watch them to make sure they put my oil in.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WHY would ANYONE use Jiffy Lube or a comparable service? I could burn many lines of code just documenting the FUBARS that these places have caused.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
WHY would ANYONE use Jiffy Lube or a comparable service? I could burn many lines of code just documenting the FUBARS that these places have caused.
Hey they got to learn somewhere.

TOM
Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The radio ad for these places claim "trained technicians".....seriously how much training does it take to change oil? I wonder what the training consists of.

Way back I had an '85 Olds Toro and took it to a local quick change place, too busy to do it myself back then.

They do the "multipoint check", I was watching them all the time; they didn't check the differential because the tech said 'it's front wheel drive'. I had to show the differential to him.

George

Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never been to one, but my mother in law showed me a receipt from her last oil change over the weekend - $16 for an oil filter and $10 a quart for Mobil 1.

They tried to pull the old dirty air filter trick, but I had changed it a week prior so it was spotless. Wish she would have told me she needed an oil change too, I could have saved her a ton!

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I take my DD's to one in Oakdale. The employees seem to care about what they are doing. I used to watch them like a hawk...but not so much now. Its a lot quicker and easier. They know I own a car lot and an auto repair shop so they don't try to up sell me. They charge $70 to do an oil change on my Duramax.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.wimp.com/lubeinvestigated/

Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm