Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Default '79 Trans Am Resto Questions

I'm trying to finish up my '79 T/A interior restoration and was looking for some suggestions and opinions on the last few fixes to finish up.

The seatbelts in my car are the originals and the retractor does not work completely right on the front seats. I'd like to find a way to restore or replace the belts so that they work and look somewhat close to original. I know some resto places are very pricey and the repro versions are as well. If anyone knows of any aftermarket products that fit and look decent or a good restoration shop that would be a huge help.

One of the major parts that I need to get done to make everything look complete is restoring my dash bezel (silver swirled). I have read about restoration shops and am considering using transamdashbezels.com, but I was hoping for some reviews on their work. I haven't seen anything bad thus far but would like some recommendations from anyone who has used them.

Finally, the tachometer in my car has always had something wrong with it. It stays at 0 rpm when the car is off and when the car starts it wont move from 500 rpm. I thought that replacing the dash harness would fix the problem but it is still an issue. The speed-o works fine as do the bulbs and clock in that gauge cluster and there is power going to the tach as well so I think its a problem with the gauge itself. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I would like to keep that cluster since it is the original and everything else seems to work. Any restoration shops or quick fixes that you know of would be awesome. If it comes to it I will just replace that piece of the cluster but it would be nice to fix the one that I have.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1979 T/A