Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-04-2021, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Safest Way To Buy A Car Cross Country From Private Seller?

I'm looking to buy another GTO. How can I complete a deal from a seller several states away? These cars aren't cheap and bringing thousands of dollars on a plane could be tough to get by airline security. Don't want to wire transfer funds to someone I don't know.
Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cashier's check, or check to see if your bank has any branches near to where you will be viewing the car. I would NOT travel with many thousands of dollars in cash on hand. Don't exchange any money until you have seen the car in person.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Depends on how much. $30k in three packets in a moneybelt would take a strip search.

Euros have a 500E note.

Can we declare Johnson's war on drugs over and bring back the McKinley and Cleveland ?

I have used a credit union for years and many "code share". If one is near seller, that is another option.

Finally a direct wire transfer is an option.

I like Benjamins myself, can take a while to count but then prefer cars with clear Florida titles so usually an easy drive with a dolly.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like paying by cashier's check but the seller would deposit it in his account and you'd have to wait at least two days for it to clear. That means you may have to hang out in the seller's city until the check clears before you can take possession of the car.
Years ago, I lost out on a 70 Judge because of this same problem.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn’t worry about bringing cash, as long as it’s secure. Like a money belt or something like that. Security can not question you about carrying cash. Only when you are crossing an international border. If it is 30k, you will be surprised at how small a bundle that is.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Default Not Johnson, but rather Teddy Roosevelt

The drug war started far earlier during the early 1900s as Teddy Roosevelt's war to enable the expansion of Tobacco cigarette markets, via the cunningly written 1906 Food and Drugs Act (from the foreign market threat of the vastly superior Coca Leaf):. From my blog Freedom of Medicine and Diet:

http://freedomofmedicineanddiet.blog...es-better.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Depends on how much. $30k in three packets in a moneybelt would take a strip search.

Euros have a 500E note.

Can we declare Johnson's war on drugs over and bring back the McKinley and Cleveland ?

I have used a credit union for years and many "code share". If one is near seller, that is another option.

Finally a direct wire transfer is an option.

I like Benjamins myself, can take a while to count but then prefer cars with clear Florida titles so usually an easy drive with a dolly.

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are legitimate broker services for this. I have never used one, but did some research when selling by 73. They handle and hold the money until the buyer receives the car in satisfactory condition.

I forget how much the service fee was,, but do not recall it being too crazy..

Where it could get dicey is if the buyer refuses delivery, now someone is on the hook for round trip shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 08-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have purchased vehicles out of state, flew in, inspected, shook hands on the deal and then right there called my Credit Union and had the money wire transferred on the spot. No cash needed. Drove the vehicle home.

Tim john---

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
I have purchased vehicles out of state, flew in, inspected, shook hands on the deal and then right there called my Credit Union and had the money wire transferred on the spot. No cash needed. Drove the vehicle home.

Tim john---
This. If it’s a lot of money, why wouldn’t you want to see the car yourself?

Old 08-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

When I bought my GTO I got on a plane and brought the cash with me. I was honest about it on the customs forms and had zero problems coming into the USA with all that money on the me. Just be honest and have your travel details ready.. In the end the customs officer at Kennedy air port was a Pontiac guy, had a couple Pontiacs himself and was really cool to talk to for a couple of minutes..

If I were to live in the US I'd probably just drive down with a trailer, inspect the car, pay cash and bring the car home in one go.

Whatever you end up doing.. Good luck! I hope it works out.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold a car in that price range to an out of state buyer. He insisted he had to make the transaction on a Sunday, because he had to drive the car home and couldn't get the time off work. There are all kinds of fake cashier's checks out there, so there is no way I would take one unless it could be verified by the bank before I handed over the car keys. That wasn't going to happen on a Sunday. The guy ended up riding 600 miles on a Greyhound Bus with the cash and the transaction went fine. That would be a little scary for me, but he did it.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post

Tim john---
This is exactly how I do it. Done it this way close to a dozen times and never an issue. We both go to the bank and it's all done right in front of the teller, and she confirms the money is transferred, in the account, and good, so both parties are happy. They even take care of any notaries that are sometimes necessary on the paperwork so you kill 2 birds with one trip.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

I bought my LeMans sight unseen, overnighted a $20k certified check and had my car carrier company pick it up (shipped from Rhode Island to my home in Nevada). I’ve also bought at least three other vehicles on eBay and similar sources without issue. I’m probably too trusting but I’ve had only good luck without any major disappointments or issues.

I guess I got used to taking the plunge of sending off large payments to complete strangers, occasionally even in foreign countries, with some of the higher end musical gear that I bought over the years. It’s just how it usually works. Most people are very honest and great to deal with and will work with you to resolve any concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vid, you are indeed too trusting. With all due respect, sending $20k to a total stranger with no safety net or purchase protection is downright foolish. There are plenty of stories of people being burned when taking that approach.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 08-04-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flew from west coast to east coast with 25K in my carry on computer bag after the car was professionally inspected. Drove the car, agreed on price and went with the seller to his bank where I had my bank wire the difference in funds to his account. Car carrier company picked up the car that day for transport with seller watching and I flew back to the land of fruits and nuts.
On the other hand , I bought my present car sight and inspection unseen through a dealer and arranged for transport from east coast to almost west coast. I won't do THAT again!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once, I bought a car from a classic car dealer who allowed me to pay via bank check and then verified it by calling the bank. Maybe that could work again with a private seller.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I'm looking to buy another GTO. How can I complete a deal from a seller several states away? These cars aren't cheap and bringing thousands of dollars on a plane could be tough to get by airline security. Don't want to wire transfer funds to someone I don't know.
Any ideas?
Why would TSA care? Not to mention they are so worthlessly ineffective they don't catch 95% of contraband anyway, so even if it was illicit somehow the odds would be in your favor.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:49 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Vid, you are indeed too trusting. With all due respect, sending $20k to a total stranger with no safety net or purchase protection is downright foolish. There are plenty of stories of people being burned when taking that approach.

It was a purchase through eBay motors, so not completely without backup. I also base my decisions on my conversations with the seller and generally it’s pretty easy to tell when you’re dealing with a solid seller just by how they answer your questions. I can spot a flake a mile away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-05-2021, 08:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default Distance deals

I like using forums like this to hopefully find a knowledgeable and long-established member willing to put eyes on the car. I like to pay them at least $500 plus any meaningful driving to help me make a more informed decision.
Whether you choose to make the deal or not, the $500 is a GREAT value!!

I've also made lists of things I want verified (correct and unmolested VIN tag, "matching number" claims, current title in owner's name, etc). Most people can also do FaceTime type live video as well.

If everything checks out, and I feel good about the deal, I arrange for pickup and use a bank wire for payment.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've sold with the buyer presenting a cashier check. Wife called bank to verify it was legit. Also, sold to buyer with cash. Even with cash it can be concerning now days with counterfeit bills. I went to bank with about 12 g's hoping the bank wouldn't say some of it was bad. I like the wire transfer idea with verification it goes through.