Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wiper motor isn't really a concern to me either as I don't take it out if it's raining. But it was trying to pass DVM inspection here. Failed my 1st time around. Funny thing tho, it was working ok when I left to go to the DMV. Not so funny once in the inspection bay. Same for the horns too. Talk about embarrassed.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
SWEET! Got any specs on the build? Are you keeping the 3x2's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Tod, was it the wiper motor or the switch? Had both go on my GTO when I first got it. After the motor was replaced I found out the switch was bad too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Wiper motor isn't really a concern to me either as I don't take it out if it's raining. But it was trying to pass DVM inspection here. Failed my 1st time around. Funny thing tho, it was working ok when I left to go to the DMV. Not so funny once in the inspection bay. Same for the horns too. Talk about embarrassed.
I never worried about inspection. Always had friends do it, but now have YOM plate and no inspection required. I do however make certain everything works in my vehicles, so I will fix it sometime down the road. Just not really a priority now.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No clue what happened there, as I only replied to Gary's message, but it multiquoted.

Somehow now everytime I reply to a message I get a database error. Only started a few days ago. Anybody having the same issue?

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
No clue what happened there, as I only replied to Gary's message, but it multiquoted.

Somehow now everytime I reply to a message I get a database error. Only started a few days ago. Anybody having the same issue?
Yessir, same happening to most all here on PY http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=770772
Bart Sez should clear up within a few weeks

Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Here's the PM issues thread link http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=770566

Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Yessir, same happening to most all here on PY http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=770772
Bart Sez should clear up within a few weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Thanks.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been a while since I posted any progress. This summer went by very quickly. Earlier in the summer I had finally gotten the 462 finished and on the dyno. There were some changes in plans from my original setup, and I was getting frustrated with getting this project finished. It had already been a few years since I first started, and I had a ton of $$ spent (and much more to spend - LOL). The only way I could get the project finished is I had Gary Cygan (Cygan Speed Engineering) complete the engine build. I handed him an assembled rotating assy in the block and he got to putting the rest together and ready for the dyno.

The day I arrived for the dyno, it still needed the valvetrain installed, distributor/wires installed/made and the entire fuel system built. I was using my tank/pump/fuel system, so I knew exactly what power it made before going into the car as well as all bugs should be worked out. It was a lofty goal for the day but with driving 1.5hr to his place, arriving at 8am, and finishing/arriving home around 1-1:30am we got everything done. This was back in June.

I had another project I was working on and would not start my car until that car was finished ('69 Camaro full mechanical/chassis resto/cleanup). I finished that job the Saturday before July 4th, and dove into my car on Monday the 3rd. My goal was a simple engine swap, but of course wiring/exhaust/fuel system upgrades were needed. Then I made a decision to upgrade the transmission to a Richmond 5spd (which UPS lost and then ultimately was found, but then damaged during shipment) and between this and family vacation out of the country, my progress slowed really quick.

The transmission arrived the day we were leaving to go to Canada, and when I opened the carton the transmission was laying upside down and looks like it took a hit on the input shaft. With what I paid for the transmission I was not accepting that and sent it back to Summit. However they did not have another in stock, and with the process of damaged shipment and a replacement I was looking at 3-4 weeks again for another trans. I couldn't wait that long, so back in went the Muncie and I finished the car.

The car was apart for two months total and I really didn't get to enjoy it much after. As long as the weather is decent I will continue to drive it, had it out for a little last night. I currently have about 500 miles on it and I'm loving it. The car is a monster and this engine completely changed the character of the car. Not sure if I posted it above in this thread, but the old 389/3x2 made 197 hp on a chassis dyno after several runs. The initial run was 167hp when the car was relativley cold and we found out the tach was way off, so that first run was probably only up to 4300-4400 rpm.

The new engine made 565 peak hp and 580 peak tq with averages of 462hp and 539tq from 3000-6000 rpm. This was on 93 octane Sunoco pump gas. The engine has Holley's Stealth EFI, KRE ported D-Ports, Bullet Solid Roller, 11:1 static CR, blah, blah, blah.

After I got it on the road, and a few miles on it I happened to be playing with a friend on the highway (roll racing 3/4th gear) and got the trans stuck in 4th gear. The car was still running fine, but I was about 30 miles from home and my insurance has roadside assistance, so I had it towed home. Once I got it home, the trans managed to come out of 4th gear, and I double and triple checked the shifter adjustment. a week or two later, it started grinding when going into 4th and now 3rd. If you double clutch it, it is ok. I am certain I tore something up in the trans, so this winter I am hoping to do the Richmond 5spd. And hopefully a rear diff as well.

Some random pics of the car over the summer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4062.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	466620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4068.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	466621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	466622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4148.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	466623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4157.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	466624  

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More Pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	466625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	466626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	466627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4214.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	466628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	466629  

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And More...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	466630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	466631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4766.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	466632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	466633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4951.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	466634  

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats on the powertrain transplant, looks great & sounds like it's a runner too! I hope you have better luck with the trans second time around. Thanks for sharing, post like these help keep me motivated!

Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

About time you updated this thread, Tod!

What a beast, I love it!

Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboyjohnny View Post
Congrats on the powertrain transplant, looks great & sounds like it's a runner too! I hope you have better luck with the trans second time around. Thanks for sharing, post like these help keep me motivated!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
About time you updated this thread, Tod!

What a beast, I love it!
Wish you guys would have made the Pittsburgh Pizza Power Tour, you could have seen/heard and even possibly driven it!

I had some issues that day, but ultimately it ran great. I have since gotten the issue resolved. The car is a blast to drive.

I still need to upload a video of it running and my kid now has a GoPro, so maybe some burnout videos if the weather allows LOL.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What a beauty, Tod! Would love to see more photos of her sometime. When restored, my car will look almost identical to yours (other than the b-pillar on my car). I enjoy viewing photos of your '66 as inspiration for my build. Too bad all the photos throughout the earlier parts of this thread have disappeared.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
What a beauty, Tod! Would love to see more photos of her sometime. When restored, my car will look almost identical to yours (other than the b-pillar on my car). I enjoy viewing photos of your '66 as inspiration for my build. Too bad all the photos throughout the earlier parts of this thread have disappeared.
Unfortunately PhotoBucket and my previous ISP have caused this. I certainly have all the pics, but to try to figure out where they belong in the thread would take a ton of time to figure out.

Anything specific you need I can try to post.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 11-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Unfortunately PhotoBucket and my previous ISP have caused this. I certainly have all the pics, but to try to figure out where they belong in the thread would take a ton of time to figure out.

Anything specific you need I can try to post.
Yeah, I assumed that might be the case. PhotoBucket really messed up a lot of peoples' online build threads when they put everything behind a paywall.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So 2+ years since an update in this thread. I have been driving this car and enjoying it for the most part. I had an oil leak at the back of the engine that was bothering me and also felt there was a little more power on the table as the fuel pressure was a little low when it was last on the dyno. I started to take it apart last year but got too busy to pull the engine and it sat all winter half disassembled. By last March I realized it was the wrong time to take it apart, so I figured I would just deal with the oil leak another summer.

In October I decided I wanted to make a pass at the local track to just see what kind of MPH I could get out of this combo. I was worried all along the trans and rear diff weren't up to the task so never made a pass until this time. I let the clutch out at idle and then hammered it, shifting into second and then third, then it was stuck in third and took a few tries to pull out of third and get it into fourth (pretty much right at the trap). The car I was running against was a newer charger scat pak, and I was out in front of him until this point. He went a 12.8 and I went a 13.3 at 105mph. I wasn't too worried about ET, but I was not happy with the MPH. I made a second pass and got the trans stuck in third gear and coasted thru the traps at 42mph.

The original shifter is junk. The muncie has been rebuilt and nothing wrong with it. A few weeks before this track adventure, I had similar issues on the street and I was looking at maybe a new Hurst shifter and linkage until I saw the price. About $700 to upgrade the shifter on an antique trans and I'm still wanting an Overdrive of some sort.

In early October I bought a Used Richmond OD 6 speed at Fall Carlisle. I figured this was the fix I needed to get the antique Muncie out of there and get something stronger and the benefit of overdrive. So since a few weeks later I had this experience at the track nd it was now a no brainer. Time to put the Richmond in. That was October 21, two days after the poor drag strip day.

Then the domino effect started. I had a dyno session appointment for Dec 2nd and with the Thanksgiving holiday and I got sick for a few weeks, I never had time to fit the Richmond in the car and drive it before pulling the engine. So out came the engine and off to the dyno. We bumped the fuel pressure up where it should be and with some timing tuning it made about 15hp more and almost 20ft lbs for a total of 575 peak hp and 598 peak tq.

Also while on the dyno, we fixed the oil leak (was aftermarket valley pan leaking near distributor , which was then running down between the block and the block plate (of the blow proof bellhousing), filling the bell housing with oil and getting all over the pressure plate. The clutch still worked fine and it doesn't appear to be on the flywheel. We pulled the intake and valley pan and found the sealant was not sticking to the plating on the valley pan. I scuffed the plating completely off the sealing surface and resealed it with the Right Stuff and hope to never have an issue again. Teh entire time I drove it, there was never any oil sitting up top in this area. I just assumed it was the rear main seal (BOP Viton that everybody has issue with). The rear main seal did not leak at all on the dyno.

After the oil leak was fixed, we then sprayed it with a 100 shot of nitrous and made 665hp/675tq. There were many nitrous pulls to dial it in and make it safe, but essentially the first nitrous pull made 662hp. I am very happy with the power level and everything is controlled by the Holley EFI, so really all I have to do is turn the system on and ready to go.

Because the engine and trans was out, it seemed the best time to make the next change. This car is not a factory A/C car. In the early 80s, my father wanted to make this the car he would have ordered in 1966 and part of that was A/C. When I started on this car in 2006, I wanted to finish the A/C install and make it functional. Truth is, I got it to a point that it looked ok, but never put a compressor or lines on. The Fan never had any power ot it, and I really questioned how well all this 50+ year old A/C stuff was going to work anyway. The A/C box stuck out too far over my pass side valve cover and made it difficult to remove said valve cover. This engine is a solid roller camshaft and I do need to periodically adjust the valve train. That hadn't been done since it was installed.

The A/C stuff is all gone and I found a complete non-A/C firewall to convert back to basic heater core. Currently the car is in a body shop getting the pieces of the firewall welded back in to make it look like it was never touched. Hopefully I get it back this week and can get the car back together.

Here is a link to a photo album with a bunch of pics in no particular order. The photo below is from a week ago.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmL9M3m9

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 02-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great shot of the car taken at a little road trip event we did the last day I drove it...

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 02-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
... original tripower 4speed car that came to PA from N. Carolina in the early '80s.
Do you know what city in NC the car was from back in the early '80s ?

And which dealership sold it new ?
(dealer code on PHS)

Thanks
Grrreat GTO you have. Father / Son ownership trail is awesome

Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Grrreat GTO you have. Father / Son ownership trail is awesome
Has always been my favorite '66 on this site...and I'm not generally a 'red car' guy but love this one. Great work Tod.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great Tod. Did you open up the hood scoop for RAM air?

And as for the wiper motor discussed a long time ago.... just Rain X the hell out of the windshield and side windows, and you won't need no wipers. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.