Old 06-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Default headliner removal?

what is the proper way to remove a headliner without ruining it?mine was replaced years ago with diamond tucked vinyle and cant really tell how to get it out without tearing up something i might need.any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

I have never replaced mine, Do a search on it you will find some help.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd start by gingerly peeling back the window trim along the top of the side windows, around the rear window and along the top of the windshield. If the headliner is still installed using the factory rods, you can cut it out with a razor blade leaving the rods in place so you can number them before removal. It's important to install them back in the same order.

The crummy thing about installing a headliner is that basically you have to gut the interior. The rear door panels, arm rests, rear seat, all the window trim, a-pillar moldings and sometimes even the front and rear windshields need to come out. It's not really a pleasant job if you've never done it before and it requires a lot of patience to get things nice and wrinkle free. A spray bottle filled with water and a hair dryer help.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 06-14-2006, 11:07 AM

Red face

thanks for the repliees,dont know if the factory rods are still in place or not?i hope they are, ihave the entire interior out,everything but the headliner.going to pull windows out prob today and try to get the headliner out.was going to try to save it to save a litle $$$ but ill prob ruin it getting it out.appears to be glued or something.just didnt want to really destroy something ill need later.thanks for the tip on numbering the rods.that is the sort of little "tip-trick" i was looking for.thanks again