Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Unhappy What headers??

After reading the horror stories about Dougs I do not know what to do.
I need headers for my E-headed 467 in my 67 Lemans with a 4-speed. Heddman doesn't have any for 4-speeds. I want 1 7/8 or 2 in with 3 1/2 in collectors. Any suggestions???

Old 06-29-2008, 11:41 PM

I'd still buy the Doug's (1-7/8" primaries, 3-1/2" collectors), but without any coating.

They're a better fitting header than just about anything out there, the ground clearance really can't even be matched by any other brand of header and that's a huge deal with our cars.

Sure, some folks have had issues here and there. Horror stories? All the guys I know that run them have said they fit well and have excellent ground clearance.

If there is a small fit problem you can take care of it, then you can get 'em coated by a coater that you trust.

Then if the coating ever fails, you can deal directly with your coater.

It's always best to trial-fit any set of headers you buy before coating them if possible.

Just about any aftermarket part you put on your car should be test-fitted before coating, painting or chroming it just to be sure that it needs no additional work beforehand.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

I've had Doug's (ceramic coated) on my 'bird for over 3 years now, they still look great, tight fit in the early F-body but...I would've bought another pair for the LeMans but the 455 I'm building went WAY OVER BUDGET...

Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a set of D-port dougs on my 69 gto and another set of Dougs d-ports on my 76 TA.

I had mine coated locally. I am very happy with Doug's headers. I will need a set of round ports for my 76 TA when I upgrade heads. Only issue I have with Doug's and those is that they don't have 2"+ primaries.

Hard to let one guy's bad experience ruin it for all. It won't for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since I am the one who is having problems I would like to add to this post. I would say they are made well and agree if you buy them have them coated by another company. That said, remember most guys who have Doug's and are happy bought them before the sell to Pertronix...

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know - "who" made mine. I bought a set of Doug's for a 76 TA this spring (january-february) - so could have been pertronix. I got the impression that they had been in JEG's inventory for awhile (I'll be honest - I had to look everywhere and JEGs is the only outfit who had them, sooo - maybe they were from the previous maker??).

I bought a set of Doug's for may GTO a couple of years ago - no problems, but again, I had them powder coated locally.

I'll say this, my guy who powder coats my headers, says the black is good to 2000F and the silver is good to 1400F.

I am upgrading my TA to edelbrocks this winter and will need some round ports.. Whose headers to get as the Doug's are only up to 1 7/8 and I want 2" plus???

Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysarge View Post
Since I am the one who is having problems I would like to add to this post....
Geez, some people whine so much...just cause you MADE the post doesn't mean you get to ADD to it...

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah I know, I am in the corner being a little pissy boy...Now I have to yank the rusty headers to replace them, I will complain some when that happens.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysarge View Post
Yeah I know, I am in the corner being a little pissy boy...Now I have to yank the rusty headers to replace them, I will complain some when that happens.
NO NO NO NO NO...you made the post, you got to ask your question, that's IT! Now you have to listen to everybody's expert advice...get with the program, would ya?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh alright, but my last word, buy Hedmans and get them coated.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Sarge, good luck with whatever you buy...what car are they going on?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I second B-Man's reply. Buy 'em bare, test fit them, then get them coated.

I bought a set of Doug's for my '70 Lemans and they are by far the best fitting headers I installed on that car. I coated them after my test fit and they have been problem-free ever since.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Goin topless , any problem with oil filter fitment/changing? I read once that the filter housing had to be removed for oil changes.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
Goin topless , any problem with oil filter fitment/changing? I read once that the filter housing had to be removed for oil changes.
If you have to do that you are either using the wrong housing or the wrong filter.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421 View Post
If you have to do that you are either using the wrong housing or the wrong filter.
Is there a Doug/or other that has 2" primaries, 3 1/2 collectors for 68-72 A bodies that don't go around frames or cross members?Presently using 1 3/4 headman husslers and one primary requires some tweeking to clear upper pass. A arm.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=550283

I'd buy the Doug's.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
Something is wrong if that's the case....both my A-body's have headers (LeMans w/RARE, GTO w/Hooker or Hedman) and filter clearance is NOT an issue. My F-body with Doug's (and factory AC) is a royal PAIN but the filter housing does not need to be removed...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
Something is wrong if that's the case....both my A-body's have headers (LeMans w/RARE, GTO w/Hooker or Hedman) and filter clearance is NOT an issue. My F-body with Doug's (and factory AC) is a royal PAIN but the filter housing does not need to be removed...
67blackcherry,my comment comes from a post IIRC from a PY member that had a yellow 69 GTO convertible with Doug's. I presently have NO oil changing issue(s) with the 68's Hooker Super Comp's or the 70's Headman Husslers. The 70 have rec'd race ported E's and I'm wanting to step up to a 2" primary set of headers that meet the criteria previosly posted.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I did have to remove the oil filter housing to get them in, but plenty of clearance around the filter when I bolted it back on.

Like I said before, it was the most trouble-free header install I ever did on a Pontiac.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM

OK, lets try this again.
Heddman does not make round ports for a 67 Lemans with a 4-speed. I do not see any 2 in. for 64-47 A-body on Hooker's site either. I want 2 inch primaries becuase of power level (600 +hp). I do not need to worry about the oil filter housing because I am going with a remote setup.
I really hate to have to "fit " the headers, then take off, mail out to get coated, wait, and then reinstall.
How much to get headers coated??