Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default Need help with the correct fitting for a Holley fuel regulator

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to resolve a flooding problem by installing a Holley fuel regulator.

The inlet to the regulator is very deep. When I tried connecting a standard male 3/8" NPT fuel line to it, the fitting went all the way in and I still had about 1/8" of flange play.

I called Summit and they said I could use this part as an adapter, but I dont think that is correct because the male end is not an inverted taper and it is 5/8"

Someone else I spoke to said I can't use a standard NPT type adapter or else it will leak and said I needed to get a Female NPT to Male AN adapter like this to make this work.

I wasted a couple of hours driving to multiple parts and hardware stores, and no one had the correct fitting, mostly because the well on the regulator inlet is so deep that the fitting never tightens.

Does anyone have an idea of what part I should use for this to connect a standard 3/8 fuel line? Do I need an inverted flare for the female end, or will a standard NPT adapter fit and not leak? I have included a picture of the regulator inlet to help explain this better.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5445339437372742506.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	484463   Click image for larger version

Name:	5132220670390652803.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	484464  

Last edited by My64GTO; 06-02-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The regulator didn't come with fittings? I thought those type shipped at least with the regular brass nipple fittings.

Call Holley tech, they can tell you what to use, but as I recall, yes, a regular NPT type fitting is what's used.

What kind of pump? Are you sure the pump need a regulator? Flooding my be caused by other stuff. What kind of carb?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, no fittings. It's a Holley 12-804. 1 inlet and 2 outlet and a stock pump bought from Ames 2 years ago.

I think its a standard NPT type fitting goes there too (not AP), so I ended up putting a NPT with a barbed nipple and attached rubber fuel line to the steel line going to the pump.

I'm pretty sure its the fuel pressure. The carbs are Rochester 2 bbls. (Tripower) and they were all just professionally rebuilt. The guy who rebuilt them said those carbs can't take more than 3-3.5 lbs.

I havent driven the car much in the last few years, but enough to cycle the gas, and I use SeaFoam and Stabilizer, so I dont think its the gas.

It has happened in the past, but usually it was because of a stuck float, which would free up after a few light taps of a screwdriver.

Last season, it happened twice in a row, but the screwdriver fix didn't work, so I sent the carbs out to have them done. It had been a while since they were last done, so I figured it was time.

Went I got them back and put them in, they flooded again (gas everywhere). I took them apart and checked everything (floats, debris, etc), and all was good.

New tank 3 years ago, new fuel pump 2 years ago. What else is there? If this doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. I might just push it out to the front lawn and put a for sale sign on it.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where the Carbs rebuilt with new floats ?
Many new 2 bbl floats I have seen are spread too wide where the roll pin goes thru and the arms rub on the pin towers on either side of the float with enough added friction to hang the float up .

Too much arm side clearance can be just as bad also if the roll pin hole is on the loose side then the float can knock to one side and hang up too.

By the way I have never known or seen a stock Pontiac fuel pump that put out less then 4.5 psi, so that guy's statement on fuel pressure is wacky to me!

Note also on this type of needle and seat regulator that for most high hp motors the use a 4bbl Carb or 3-2bbls that the total needle and seat area in the Carb(s) is greater then the needle and seat in the regulator.
In short you may have a fuel system from that tank on forwards that can handle a 600 hp or greater motor , but a regulator that's only good for maybe 500 hp!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 06-05-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Info from summit web site says that fuel pressure regulator uses NPT fittings.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...xoCFYIQAvD_BwE

I also noticed that the link says fuel pressure from 1 psi to 4 psi. Not good.

You would need two of those regulators to make 500 HP (Grumpy Jenkins proved that deal).

As was posted that regulator would be a major "cork" in the Tri-Power System. Sad part is you have owned the POS for two years.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

The end carbs do not have new floats, but all floats are brass and they were moving fine. I didnt see anything that was causing it to bind, but that doesn't mean much. I guess I could take the center apart again and check it.

So what should the fuel pressure be for a 455 bored .030 over with a Pontiac 65 tripower manifold with stock Rochester 2 bbl 64 carbs?

And Tom, I have owned this POS for 17 years not 2, and YOU can't call it a POS, only I can.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My64GTO View Post
The end carbs do not have new floats, but all floats are brass and they were moving fine. I didnt see anything that was causing it to bind, but that doesn't mean much. I guess I could take the center apart again and check it.

So what should the fuel pressure be for a 455 bored .030 over with a Pontiac 65 tripower manifold with stock Rochester 2 bbl 64 carbs?

And Tom, I have owned this POS for 17 years not 2, and YOU can't call it a POS, only I can.
Sorry but if I understand this correctly, you have owned this Holley Regulator for 17 years?
Is that correct?

Also I could care less if you are talking about YOUR Holley regulator, The basic Holley Regular design was not a good one and I can say that as a former Holley employee which is why we came out with a much better 7/16" ball design. You posted that you bought the REGULATOR and a pump 2 years ago "It's a Holley 12-804. 1 inlet and 2 outlet and a stock pump bought from Ames 2 years ago."
So now you are saying that you bought the regulator 17 years ago and the pump 2 years ago?
Regulator has probably dry rotted if it is 17 years old. And a 17 year old regulator would be a POS.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-05-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Senior Chief

No, I purchased the car 17 years ago, replaced the pump 2 years ago and the regulator is brand new. If you can recommend a regulator that isnt a POS, I'm all ears. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Sorry but if I understand this correctly, you have owned this Holley Regulator for 17 years?
Is that correct?

Also I could care less if you are talking about YOUR Holley regulator, The basic Holley Regular design was not a good one and I can say that as a former Holley employee which is why we came out with a much better 7/16" ball design. You posted that you bought the REGULATOR and a pump 2 years ago "It's a Holley 12-804. 1 inlet and 2 outlet and a stock pump bought from Ames 2 years ago."
So now you are saying that you bought the regulator 17 years ago and the pump 2 years ago?
Regulator has probably dry rotted if it is 17 years old. And a 17 year old regulator would be a POS.

Tom V.