Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Cooling system flush question

A little over 15 years ago I changed my radiator, the original was leaking. I drove it for a while then life got busy so the GTO sat a lot. Recently, I’ve been driving it a lot. I’ve noticed deposits on the radiator.
Here’s my question; should I do a cooling system flush? If so, what brand do you think works the best?
Thanks, Brian

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM

This is how I do a cooling flush at home.
First get a shopping cart full of distilled water from the store. You can start with 20 gal.
Next remove rad cap and run engine for about 10 min. just worm it up not hot.
Shut off engine and drain out all coolant, including overflow tank. Then fill up with distilled water and start engine. Topping it off as the engine draws it in. When full replace rad cap and go for a 20 min ride.
Shut off engine and let it cool down. After cooling maybe 30 to 45 min drain it out...
Make sure engine has cooled down enough then start over. Fill it up, top it off, cap it, drive it, cool it down then drain. After 4 or 5 times the water should be draining out just as clean as you’re putting it in.
I don’t use cooling system flush. Just distilled water.
When all is done make up a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water and fill up the cooling system.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. But, I need something to take off the built up deposits on the fins of the radiator. Any advice for that??

Old 07-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prestone makes a cooling system cleaner that gets pretty good reviews. It's widely available, so you might as well give it a try.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
Thanks for the advice. But, I need something to take off the built up deposits on the fins of the radiator. Any advice for that??
Remove the radiator & have a shop clean it .

Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM

I don't like adding other chemicals into the system. If the radiator is that crappy looking do
what chrisp posted. Remove it and have a professional clean it out. They can also test it for any leaks and make repairs if needed.