The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windows on a 2nd Gen Bird

Is there any detailed info in print or otherwise that goes into great detail about how the door glass is installed, adjusted and the hardware that is used? I've got misaligned glass, and rattles everywhere.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are detailed instructions in the fisher body manual. If no else beats me to it I will scan a copy on when I get home this evening. That job is by far the worst job EVER in working on a firebird. IMO.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What he said. A quick google search found this:

http://www.banditpowdercoat.com/Down...ment_Guide.pdf

But even then you're going to spend a LOT of time adjusting and readjusting to get it right. I repainted my bird and did this just a couple of months back. It's a royal PITA.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try to adjust / correct one alignment issue at a time, is my approach. If loosen the whole mess, whoaaa….

Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Critter beat me to it. That info is a copy of the fisher body manual. Good info, now if it was only that easy! One thing to keep in mind is that you need the inner sweep on to adjust the window properly, which means that the door panel needs put on. If your windows are good for adjustment but just rattle from lose or worn out parts, I would make a good mark where all of the bolts are before taking anything apart. That should help to line things back up pretty easily.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the good advice! Driver door glass is good but rattles. Passenger is out of adjustment and rattles. This will be fun.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have the gage blocks in the article? If so, I could reproduce them and loan them out to people in need.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont have the blocks, if you can make them looks like something that could be marketed. Not sure how you would get the spec's for them though.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can definitely make them, but I would need someone to entrust me with these "unicorns" for about 2 weeks. Either that or the blueprints. I feel this would save many of our PY people major headaches.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen the tools either, but some of the body guys I've talked to, and some GM techs, agree that they are pretty worthless. I suspect that's why you can find them anywhere, people tried to use them, looked at them, and pitched them in the trash.

If you read the description of the actual parts that are part of the regulator, window, and adjusters, you kind of can figure out what the adjust, but it's like those stupid wire knot puzzles, which always gave me a hard time!

The bottom adjusters make the top of the window go backwards, like adjust the bottom outward to make the top of the glass go inward. Also remember that the window when rolled half way is always going to be a little loose, because of the arc of the glass and travel. So don't waste time trying to get it tight there.

Most popular positions for the glass is, like a 1 - 3" range open, all the way open, or all the way closed. Start with those settings, get it to where you like it, and that's pretty much what you're going to end up with. It just doesn't get much better than that.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 AM

If you take your time and look at it It'll make sense. First get your door glass to go up straight thats the third arm adjustment. Then you need to move it front to back thats the guide you move to do that. Then get your door glass in out adjustment that the plate on the guide that you can move in and out. Now you can adjust the height those are the window stops. Finally the pressure adjustment at the top of the door will help keep it from rattling. Keep in mind those are big heavy door glasses that rattled a little new and especially after a few years.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, make sure the regulator and all the rollers are in good shape, and hardware on glass is tightened properly.

The hardware in my A-body was 'good', but I replaced it all anyway. After I did that, I didn't think the original stuff was 'good' anymore. And it really wasn't that expensive to replace it all. I did regulators too.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep mine all up or all down, its Phoenix! My car has power windows, and I absolutely hate them. Thought about making the manual but want to leave it stock. I've noticed if I take them all the way down then tap the switch to move them slightly the rattles are less. I didnt think all the parts are available or I would replace everything.