Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just called WIX Customer Service: 800-949-6698

The 51258 is not discontinued, they were delayed in production is all. They said that all new orders requests have shipped.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I just called WIX Customer Service: 800-949-6698

The 51258 is not discontinued, they were delayed in production is all. They said that all new orders requests have shipped.

Alright then, it said "not available "on Summit website, I clicked the thing for them to notify me when it became available again, after over a month I received an email last week that it was Discontinued. I apologize if it's not the case wasn't my intent to spread misinformation.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 02-13-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil400 View Post
Alright then, it said "not available "on Summit website, I clicked the thing for them to notify me when it became available again, after over a month I received an email last week that it was Discontinued. I apologize if it's not the case wasn't my intent to spread misinformation.
Great now I won't be able to eat lunch out this week since I bought 6 filters I thought were discontinued. Had 3 on the shelve. Now I'm hungry. Lol

Old 02-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
when storing them for a long time be aware they will rust inside.

Keep in a humidity controlled environment
Appreciate the heads-up. I suppose I'll store them in the house rather than the unheated shop space then.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-13-2024, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I received six 51258s today from Amazon and all are made in the USA - just like every other 51258 I've purchased over the last few years.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 10:08 AM
Senior Chief

Stopped by the local NAPA and out of curiosity I checked to see if they had any 1258 filters. They had one on the shelf. It had a purple rubber seal and the box said it was made in Vietnam. Someone posted a while back at the NAPA golds were all USA made. Doesn’t look like that’s the case anymore..

'71 GTO, 406 CID, 60916, 1.65 HS, '69 #46 Heads 230CFM, 800CFM Q-jet, TH400, 12 Bolt 3.55
'72 Lemans, Lucerne Blue, WU2, T41, L78, M22, G80
Old 02-15-2024, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a car part once that said made in China on the box.
Turned out the part itself was made in the US but was packaged in a box that that was sourced from China.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 02-15-2024, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been posted here before that WIX no longer makes the majority of NAPA filters as they have in the past 50 years. WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel, a Geman manufacturer, that sources almost all their filters globally.

Some of the You tube warriors, that dissect filters on their videos have shown that some of the new filters from H/M are not of the same quality, or construction, as the older versions were. Previously the same last 4 numbers of WIX and NAPA filters were identical inside, that has changed.

Formerly if you couldn't get a WIX part, the NAPA version was identical, no longer the case.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-15-2024 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Stopped by the local NAPA and out of curiosity I checked to see if they had any 1258 filters. They had one on the shelf. It had a purple rubber seal and the box said it was made in Vietnam. Someone posted a while back at the NAPA golds were all USA made. Doesn’t look like that’s the case anymore."

I'm finding this more and more with automotive parts. Recently needed to replace the bearings in the idler and belt tensioner on my Nissan Xterra. To avoid paying several hundred dollars for OEM complete assemblies or buying crappy imported replacments I took the originals apart and got the part numbers off the bearings to source out good USA made replacement bearings for them.

I had no idea that 99 percent of the bearings made these days come from offshore and USA bearings are pretty much extinct. I found bearings all over the place, they were made in China, Taiwan, Poland, Japan and Italy. No USA made bearings readily available in the parts numbers I was looking for. The choices were from SKF, KOYO, Timken,NSK, NIN, BNL, NACHI and at least half a dozen others, but none were USA made and in many cases it was difficult to tell where they were coming from.

It appears from my research that nearly all bearings these days are "globaly sourced". Kind of interesting but one of my original bearings was USA made, the other from Taiwan. Since both lasted to the 100,000 mile mark and just needed some fresh grease I popped the plastic covers off of one end and cleaned/repacked them. This bought me some time and I was able to locate NOS USA made bearings to replace them, but for now just put them on the shelf as the repacking job is working well for the time being.

As this relates to oil filters in the past year or so several of the USA made filters I have been buying for my vehicles here (AC Delco) switch their manufacturing to China. I probably wouldn't have known except the filter on my XTerra is difficult to access and I have to reach in and give it a good twisting by hand as no tools I own will get near it. On the last oil change I dented in the housing it was so thin. So I pulled it back off and not only was the housing thinner than the USA made one removed it had a cheap plastic cage holding the filter element and plastic bypass valve. What a POS. I threw all the new ones out and went on a search for a well made filter.

Using an online cross-reference and Rock Autos excellent selection from worst to best for every vehicle they list I found that Baldwin/Hastings makes several filters to fit my application so I ordered a few of them. They are excellent quality, heavy metal contruction, metal cage holding the filter media and HD metal bypass valve/spring.

So for now I'm good to go, but like everyone else it's probably just a matter of time before the excellent Baldwin/Hastings filters end up coming in from offshore and not made as well as what they are currently marketing........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think you'll have to wait long Cliff, lol. As I posted earlier the Baldwins are already coming from Europe, Mexico, Australia, China, South Africa and Morocco according to a site search. This is pretty much the case with all filters, Wix included.

I suspect it's pretty much luck of the draw what you end up with depending on where a certain business gets their batch of supplies for that month. Oddly enough none of the searching I did found anything that claimed made in USA. It could be they are simply doing some small process here in the states after it comes off the boat, and then reboxing/branding said claim.

For what it's worth, I just ordered a dozen Wix filters from Rock Auto that are due here today. I'll report where they claim they are made when UPS gets here. I also plan to run up to Napa to grab some Napa Gold filters for Chevrolet today. I'll compare and report back.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-16-2024, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
It's been posted here before that WIX no longer makes the majority of NAPA filters as they have in the past 50 years. WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel, a Geman manufacturer, that sources almost all their filters globally.

Some of the You tube warriors, that dissect filters on their videos have shown that some of the new filters from H/M are not of the same quality, or construction, as the older versions were. Previously the same last 4 numbers of WIX and NAPA filters were identical inside, that has changed.

Formerly if you couldn't get a WIX part, the NAPA version was identical, no longer the case.
Not true, at least since I've cut them apart in the last couple months, they have been "THE SAME" and haven't changed in the 30 something years I've been cutting them.

Now if that changes with the next batch I'll be cutting apart here shortly, I'll report back, but I don't suspect I'll see anything different.

Of course our Napa is privately owned and not part of the chain, so they carry just a little bit different stuff than a regular Napa. Not sure if that makes a difference on Wix/Napa Gold filters though. I would assume that's from similar suppliers.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Of course where it comes from isn't really the issue for me. Everything we buy is this way now.

What is important is when I cut these things open I'm looking for differences in construction, material used etc... and as long as I'm seeing the same quality material and construction I really don't give a poop where it's coming from. The minute I see poor quality, I'll have to change brands at that point and look for something else, cut that open, rinse and repeat, until I find a good quality product. There are a few options out there

Old 02-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My local NAPA store informed me a couple days ago that their NAPA Gold/Wix filters were on sale for about 1 more week. Deep discounts too, like 40%-60% off.

So I ordered a bunch of filters for my cars, equipment and family members cars. The 1258 filters we are talking about for our Pontiacs, I ordered 4 of. Less than $6.00 each. They have a mat black paint finish instead of the gloss black you may be familiar with. The rubber seal is red/pink color. The business end has a clear plastic cover over it. Made in China. The other 12 part numbers I ordered were all made in Mexico or China. None in the US. FWIW.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go, I just got back from buying a handfull of 1060 Napa Gold oil filters (Wix) and they all still come wrapped in plastic like they always have for years, and still say "made in USA" Not that it always means much these days but it's still printed on there none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	628712  

Old 02-16-2024, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
That’s a great deal. Like way better than Rock.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And here are the Wix I ordered from Rock Auto. Same filter, only the sticker is changed for Napa and even that is laid out like Wix in same colors and description. These also say made in the USA. They aren't shrink wrapped in plastic though, just come in the box as is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	628723  

Old 02-16-2024, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
That’s a great deal. Like way better than Rock.
How do you figure? The Amazon listing is selling them for $89.99 for 12 including shipping but before tax. I placed an order through Rock Auto for 12 of them, which came out to $71.71 including shipping but before tax.

That boils down to the Amazon per-unit cost is $7.50/ea and Rock Auto is $5.98/ea, or roughly 21% cheaper at Rock Auto.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 02-16-2024 at 06:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 06:26 PM

Got my 6 today from Rock 4.81 each half the price Amazon charges. Filter says made in USA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20240216_172020540.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	628725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240216_172042978.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	628726  

Old 02-16-2024, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Got my 6 today from Rock 4.81 each half the price Amazon charges. Filter says made in USA.
Yep, same here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20240216_234513896.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	628730  

Old 02-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are pics of the 1258's I bought at NAPA today. Ones with the shiny black paint and the black seal are most likely old stock they are cleaning out. NOT saying anything about the quality of one vs the other, just that they are different being sold under the same name. I assume WIX/NAPA and their parent company build them worldwide to some sort of quality standard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	628731   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	628732   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter 3.jpg
Views:	59