Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Holley Terminator EFI, has anyone here used a TBI type of EFI?

I'm looking for reviews on throttle body self learning efi kits. Specifically Holley Terminator EFI. I'm seriously considering it as my next big upgrade. If you're running any of the throttle body units though I would be curious to hear what you have to say.

Please include your car, engine combo, likes, dislikes etc.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might be interested in this thread on Pro-Turing.
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...y-FAST-MSD-etc

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep....I started a thread over there too...haha

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did an Accel Gen 6 multipoint on a custom intake on my 'bird in '99, back then, there was no self learning. I applied for an EMIC license and received all the courseware/books and software. That setup ran so good and I loved it, but wow, there was a serious learning curve.

I did the '99 East Coast Power Tour the day after I got it running, drove over 3000 miles. I've been hooked on EFI since, even though I have carbs on a couple for a while. The 'bird has a v2 XFI multipoint on it, but it's a stalled project. That will kick off here shortly, about to start rolling with it again.

Fast forward to today. I'm about to do a Terminator setup on the clone, for a number of reasons. I should be making the purchase within the next couple weeks, and plan on doing an install thread here. Shame they don't have E-trans control on the lower units, but will be migrating the Compushift from the LeMans over to it anyway.

The LeMans is going through the body shop now, and plan to use a Holley Dominator ECU with a multipoint setup. I plan to use a Super Victor EFI intake and probably a Scorpion throttle body. That too you will see a write up on in my build thread.

I saw the Terminator setup on sale somewhere when I was first shopping for $1650, wish I can find that now. All I find now is price-fixed $1999 - $2009, Holley clamped down on it.

If anyone here can get a deal on a 550-405 setup with an IPU harness, PM me.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I did an Accel Gen 6 multipoint on a custom intake on my 'bird in '99, back then, there was no self learning. I applied for an EMIC license and received all the courseware/books and software. That setup ran so good and I loved it, but wow, there was a serious learning curve.

I did the '99 East Coast Power Tour the day after I got it running, drove over 3000 miles. I've been hooked on EFI since, even though I have carbs on a couple for a while. The 'bird has a v2 XFI multipoint on it, but it's a stalled project. That will kick off here shortly, about to start rolling with it again.

Fast forward to today. I'm about to do a Terminator setup on the clone, for a number of reasons. I should be making the purchase within the next couple weeks, and plan on doing an install thread here. Shame they don't have E-trans control on the lower units, but will be migrating the Compushift from the LeMans over to it anyway.

The LeMans is going through the body shop now, and plan to use a Holley Dominator ECU with a multipoint setup. I plan to use a Super Victor EFI intake and probably a Scorpion throttle body. That too you will see a write up on in my build thread.

I saw the Terminator setup on sale somewhere when I was first shopping for $1650, wish I can find that now. All I find now is price-fixed $1999 - $2009, Holley clamped down on it.

Holley Performance via Ebay has refurbished 550-406 units for $1799- but I figure you've already seen them.

I'd probably bite if a group purchase was an option...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Holley Performance via Ebay has refurbished 550-406 units for $1799- but I figure you've already seen them.

I'd probably bite if a group purchase was an option...
Makes you wonder what "refurbished" is though??

- Build Thread
Old 05-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post

Ill really be looking forward to feedback and the install thread. Im wanting to get it all setup on my pooch 455 right now and transfer everything over to my new build im going to start planning.

- Build Thread
Old 05-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For $200, I won't take a chance on a refurb, but suspect they are just fine. The throttle body is what's refurb'd, probably was a manufacturing glitch which caused them to come back.

I will probably just suck it up and go the $2k, it really isn't a bad deal considering what you get. I suspect there may be dealers that would take less of a cut and sell cheaper, but since it's price fixed, it might have to be under the table.

The fuel system is what's the biggest pain on doing an EFI setup, so as long as you have that ironed out, you're golden. All you have to do beyond that is bolt the throttle body on and lay out the harness, done. The firewall pass through for the AC wires and couple vacuum lines (or whatever, depending on your make/model) is perfect for passing the harness through, and all the sensors for the most part are on the throttle body. Cake.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Terminator setups are rated to a max of 600hp, so on a number of our rides, it's pushing the wire. Injectors would spend more time at full duty cycle, which is less granular, not to mention it could impact the overall life of the injectors. If you're close, you can just bump the fuel psi by say 10-15 lbs, and would solve the problem, but it would take a little additional initial configuration. I'm sure support would help with that stuff if you're not comfortable with this. A simple phone call or post on the Holley EFI site would do it.

The only other option I would lean towards when going to a TBI type setup would be the FAST EZ-EFI. That's good to 1200hp. There's some differences between it and the Holley, but nothing that can't be overcome. The Holley is a newer design, and in my opinion more refined, but it's nominal. I think the self-learn feature(s) of the Holley are slightly better than the FAST.

My recommendation if you are at or over 600hp is to just do a multiport. The cost difference isn't that much, intake and a few injectors, either way you still have to purchase a throttle body. From a performance standpoint, the two types of systems are very close, since you're limited to the design of the intake(s). Wet flow compared to dry flow, and the injector angle are all areas of deficiencies, so it's a wash IMO. Multiport you overcome some of the distribution issues, but that's easily compensated with tune (on a TBI system).

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

If your going to buy an holley terminator you can buy it from the autozone website and should be able to apply the 25% off coupons they always have for online orders.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:48 AM
Senior Chief

Consider the MSD Atomic EFI or FAST EZ EFI 2.0 as well. FAST and MSD both have their respective distributors to supply ignition control. The FAST 2.0 TBI has the most potential of any TBI system you see.

I drove a Corvette with the Holley TBI and I absolutely did not like it. I think the main issue it was having was that the ignition was still vacuum HEI. Either way, good luck when you get to purchasing parts. Make sure to upgrade you alternator right now and switch to an electric fuel pump system before getting any EFI setup.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:53 PM

A few years ago I attempted to install a Fast EZ on a 462 in my 62 Bonneville. I could not get it to run properly and it left me stranded twice. Fast tech was no help. I yanked it off and put a carb back on. I sold it for practically nothing to a buddy of mine that was aware of the issues I was having. Maybe he'll have better luck. It amazes me that guys like on Roadkill can bolt one of these things on in the parking lot of some motel ... I think ... in freezing cold ... jerry rig it and drive off into the sunset with no problems. I follow the instructions down to the letter and get hosed. Needless to say .. I'm soured on EFI.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMartin View Post
A few years ago I attempted to install a Fast EZ on a 462 in my 62 Bonneville. I could not get it to run properly and it left me stranded twice. Fast tech was no help. I yanked it off and put a carb back on. I sold it for practically nothing to a buddy of mine that was aware of the issues I was having. Maybe he'll have better luck. It amazes me that guys like on Roadkill can bolt one of these things on in the parking lot of some motel ... I think ... in freezing cold ... jerry rig it and drive off into the sunset with no problems. I follow the instructions down to the letter and get hosed. Needless to say .. I'm soured on EFI.
I've got the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 system on my El Camino. I LOVE it!

That said, I did learn a few things along the way.

- I originally tried using the aftermarket HEI that a previous owner installed on the Elky. Even with the supplied FAST "filter" installed, that distributor gave a tach signal that was WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too erratic. It ran too horribly to even pull out of the driveway. I installed the FAST Dual-Sync distributor (along with the FAST ignition box & coil, all with Lifetime Warranty), and saw an immediate HUGE improvement. I HIGHLY recommend using the Dual-Sync if you get a FAST EFI system.

- There was somebody assembling wiring harnesses who did not know how to properly seat the pins in the connector blocks. When the blocks would be connected, a pin could push back instead of "connecting" fully, giving intermittent problems. The rubber seal at the back of the block would push the pin back NEARLY in position when the blocks were disconnected. They SHOULD have this issue under control now, but I'd take the time to check the pins on ANY future system I may install. I'd also lay out the entire system on the floor, and test-connect the whole thing before actually installing it.

- FAST has had some bad MAP sensors. They sent me a replacement for free, but it also went bad. I got a "lifetime warranty" MAP from Autozone and no more problems.

Adding the Dual-Sync REALLY makes the system awesome. I can change the total timing, initial timing, timing curve, and vacuum advance characteristics in about 20 seconds, with the supplied touch-screen display/controller. Same for the AFR. Tuning this system on the chassis dyno was super quick and easy.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust